I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji ACS reel seat problem
Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2011 08:39PM

I built myself a couple casting rods using Fuji ACS 16 reel seats. I went out today and got 2 new reals for my 2 new rods. Both reels are low profile casting reels. My problem is that neither reel will tighten down tight on the reel seats. both slip forward. I can modify the seats with my dremmel or the feet of my new reels, but is this normal? This is the first time I have ran into this problem.

For what it is worth the reels are two different makes. 1 is a Quantum the other is a Pflueger.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji ACS reel seat problem
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: June 17, 2011 09:34PM

Haven't had that problem with an ACS. I did have a problem on a different make seat so I put a couple layers of electrical tap on the bottom of the foot and that did it.

Chuck

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2011 09:52PM

I should probably clarify. The front feet on the reels are sitting too high. As you tighten the nut down it just barely fits under the front hood. I'm afraid if I over tighten it will strip the threads. My only other option is to, either use my dremmel and grind down the feet of my reel or grind down the flat surface on the reel seat.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2011 06:40AM

I had a similar problem, the reel foot were to thick for the reel seat do I sanded the inside of the reel seat hoods to fit it worked they now tighten down. My reel was a Smoke Quantum and a fuji reel seat.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2011 10:17AM

Mike,
It is always a good idea to check out these issues with a different reel seat, before building a rod with a new reel seat that you have not used before.
If that seat is available in a large size like a 17 or 18, I would guess that the problem would disappear.

The other simple solution, is to simply obtain a different reel that fits the new reel seat.
Many many different reels will fit this seat just fine.
So, if you don't want to alter either the reel seat or reel, then get a different reel that fits the seat without modification.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
The problem you address is a pretty common one, with reels now being used by anglers around the world from manufactures around the world. There is no given standard of reel foot length, or clearance requirements on an industry wide basis.
So, if a manufacturer has or wants do do a different reel foot design, they do it with no real regard to the location where it may potentially be installed.

In years past, I have picked up about 6 different reels that I wanted to use on existing rods that did not fit the new reels very well.
Since I wanted to use the new reels on the existing rods, I used a band saw, a dremel, and a disk sander to reshape the reel foot. to meet my needs. In all cases, these particular reels had much thicker or longer feet than other reels that I had on hand. So, I was both making the reel foot shorter as well as thinner to nicely fit into the existing reel seats.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 18, 2011 10:22AM

The feet are to thick or to wide In either case grind or file them to fit

Or get one that does ??

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2011 10:23AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2011 11:50AM

The problem is you bought a Quantum !
Get a Shimano like the Curado.200.

Sorry, I've always been a Shimano guy..

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2011 12:52PM

And the curado 200 is on sale now for, pretty much the first time ever.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2011 03:39PM

That's why I like to use the larger reel seats. I've found that even some of the ultralight spinning reels will not fit certain size 16 seats properly. I also like bigger seats because they seem to fit my hand better.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2011 05:41PM

David,
I concurr on the choice of larger reel seat. I seldom use anything smaller than a size 17 and commonly use size 18's. I also agree that the larger seats simply fit my hand better than the smaller reel seats.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 08:49AM

I've never had a problem with the ACS seats, and you cannot just go up to a 17 because of the ID . These seats are ID specific to the location on the blank where you want the seat to set.
Size 16 Inside Diameter (mm) Length (mm)
ACSM-95 9.5 113.0

ACSM-10 10.0 113.0
ACSM-105 10.5 113.0
ACSM-11 11.0 113.0
ACSM-115 11.5 113.0
ACSM-12 12.0 113.0
ACSM-125 12.5 113.0
ACSM-13 13.0 113.0
ACSM-135 13.5 113.0
ACSM-14 14.0 113.0
ACSM-145 14.5 113.0
ACSM-15 15.0 113.0

Size 17 Inside Diameter (mm) Length (mm)
ACSM17-15 15.0 127.5
ACSM17-155 15.5 127.5
ACSM17-16 16.0 127.5
ACSM17-165 16.5 127.5
ACSM17-17 17.0 127.5

Ron Weber

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 02:34PM

This type of seat should fit according to blank size and seat size

File - sand- grind ---- what ever you got to do to make it fit

This is not going to the moon

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike harris (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: June 20, 2011 04:46PM

The way you described the reels fitting into the hood sounds perfectly normal to me, that is the way they all fit. I believe you just need to go ahead and crank the nut down further. Quantum’s are known for having relatively large feet, but the Pflueger is built on the Silstar frame like the Revo, BPS, Lews, Pinnacle, Browning and lots of others, with those reels the hood should tighten down to within a 1/16 of an inch of bottoming out on the reel seat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster