I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting Bubble Rods
Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 16, 2011 10:32AM

I'm building a couple of rods to fish with the use of a casting bubble. A casting bubble is nothing more than a bobber that allows ballast to be added/removed. These rods are an experiment based on a book called "Fish Don't Think". In the book, fly rods are used with spinning reels ( 6lb test with a rod's length 4lb leader) on wide Western US waters, to cast flies a long distance. The idea is to get the distance and yet not spook the target area fish. I'm building a 4 pc. and 2 pc. 3/4 wt and will try a 5/6 in the future. Not only do I plan to use flies, but test and evaluate a product called "Bait Stick". Check them out on the web, it's an interesting concept.
I'd like to hear from anyone who has an opinion on the build. I'm thinking #6 minima running guides, a fairly long TN handle to allow for adjustment and an adjustment guide to be determined by my reel choice. The first two rods will be built on Tiger Eye blanks I have laying around a 7 and 9 ft 3/4wt. Since they'll start out as test rods, I don't plan anything special but wouldn't mind some thread color suggestions just the same. M
I'd love to go with a carbon/graphite grip but it seems the commercial grips ID and arbor ID would leave too much space to gain any sensitivity benefit since it would need filling. Suggestions?

Has anyone built and fished these rods? If so, what's your take on them? I've got an old 7ft. 3/4 wt Lamiglass I need to build and haven't decided what to do with that one yet. As always, thank you in advance and feel free to email me at midstreamrods@yahoo.com if you'd like.

Ray Mazza
Midstream Rods
Utica, NY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting Bubble Rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2011 10:34AM

Fill space with foam arbors and it won't matter what size ID your grip has. You only need a couple, or three, about an inch long each. Leave the areas in-between open. Don't fill them with anything.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2011 10:37AM

Hi Ray,
Sounds like an interesting project. I have a Tiger Eye fly rod, and I really like the way it looks with scarlet red and gold trim. It really "pops" in the sun. Good luck!
George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2011 10:17AM by George Forster.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2011 05:38PM

Ray,
I frequently use this technique for trout when I travel west.
My favorite rod for this is an 8 1/2 foot medium action 2-piece steel head rod. A light enough tip, but plenty of mid and butt strength to heave the casting bubbe and attached fly a very long way.

I far prefer this rod to any weight fly rod for this particular application.

Roger

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 17, 2011 11:35AM

I'm with Rodger, the Batson 1142 or 1143 would also work very well. Pulling a Royal Coachman or Prince Nymph behind a float has long been a formula for sucess on the mountain lakes.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.145.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2011 09:37PM

Ray,
it has been my experience over the past 5-8 years that most of the guys doing this are using a Mod/Fast Med/Lt (4-8) or Medium (6-12) lb steelhead rod from 8'6" to 9'6". I think they started out using fly blanks but casting that weight (when the bubble gets some water in it) requires a little different power of rod.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 12:54PM

Thanks to all for your input. I plan to try a couple heavier blanks as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster