I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
PVC remenants
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 14, 2011 09:16AM

A little off topic -
I've got a large number of 2 - 3 feet long 2" PVC tubes left over from shipping rods. I've have been trying and trying to think of what to do with these as I'd prefer to use them as opposed to filling up a landfill.

Any ideas? Rod rack is about the only thing I've come up with and I already built a rack for finished rods and a rack for blanks.

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PVC remenants
Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 14, 2011 09:25AM

Alex,
What i've done is splice the shorter tubes together with couplings and then I was able to use for shipping.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 14, 2011 09:39AM

Even more off topic, but,
I've used them in the garden, standing vertical alongside a young plant,
Try to get into the soil more than 2 inches.
Then water into the pipe lets it seep slowly into the ground near that plant.
Saves watering the entire area, seems to work well by getting down below the surface instead of evaporating.
Not that it ever gets very warm here in Arkansas!

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2011 09:39AM

2 ideas
1- take stainless steel screws and screw them together at various angels and place in lake as off shore fish habitat
[www.chattanoogafishingforum.com]
[www.porcupinefishattractor.com]

2- ship them free of charge to your buddy Steve the plumber

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: June 14, 2011 09:46AM

Alex, they make good sand spikes if long enough.
Shorter ones can be put together to make beach/pier/tailwater/shad tank carts.
A good pier cart retails for around $100 to $200 ......

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 14, 2011 10:11AM

Alex; Google up a game called Hillbilly Golf. Build them and sell them !!! Fun to play !

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2011 11:12AM

hang on to them.. use them for holding screws and odd things(drill bits, etc)..glue an endcap on one end then slide another for a cap..a marker to label what is inside..i also mount them vertically to hold mandrels and reamers..they are then handy and easily accesible when you need them...or you can use them for foam cores

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 11:12AM by john timberlake.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: June 14, 2011 11:34AM

Foam core molds?

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 14, 2011 11:54AM

Great ideas plus I had a few emails too. Thanks! I've got over 100 pieces laying around, so some of these projects should be doable.

JP & Chuck - I got ya beat on foam core molds - got something better :)

-----------------
AD

Date: June 14, 2011 12:09PM

Oh - I know. Shipping tubes for ice rods.

Re: PVC remnants
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2011 12:40PM

You can take the entire lot, put them in a pot and put them in an oven.
Heat them up, turn them into liquid and then pour the plastic out into a mold and make the plastic into a mat to scrape your feet on, or to stand on in the shop.

I think that if you got them to about 500-600 degrees, the plastic would melt to allow you to do this.

If you want, you can also make a mold for something, then make a vacuum system and use a vacuum source to suck the plastic into a shape that you want to use for some particular use.

Factories take liquefied plastic all of the time and use vacuum molding to shape complicated objects.

Or you can take the pipe, and put them into a grinder. Grind up the plastic and use it for shipping sawdust to use as packing material.

I use short sections of pvc pipe to make stands. i.e. I use 2X lumber, and a fostner drill bit to make flat bottom holes in the 2X stock. Mark your drilling points and a drill press to drill flat bottom holes that make for a tight fit on the pvc pipes. Drill the holes almost, but not quite through the 2X stock and you can make excellent stands for holding things. It may be rods, threaded rod, blanks etc.

I generally use either 1 or 1 1/4 inch pipe to make rod stands since these just fit most rod grips. I like to keep a few along when going on fishing trips and have them in the cabin at the places where we stay so that we have a place to hold the fishing rods, rather than leaning against the wall of the cabin.
I always take the gear in at night. I never leave any rods in the boat at night. I generally am always rerigging the equipment at night, so I like to have the equipment convenient at hand for rerigging.

I generally chop the pipes so that they are about an inch shorter than the typical back grip of the rods that I am planning to store.

Take care
Roger

Date: June 14, 2011 12:58PM

Alex - I don't know everything but I have been married 37 years. DO NOT load your wife's oven with 3' chunks of 3" diam PVC pipe while she is in town. Trust me on this one.

Chuck

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: June 14, 2011 01:07PM

French style rolling pin. cut them into 18" sections or less and roll away. we use them at work all the time for things like fondant and gum paste. nothing stick to them and if you want you can throw them n the freezer for working soft dough.

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2011 01:25PM

Roger, you may want to look at an MSDS sheet before suggesting the melting process. The "C" in PVC is for chloride.
Though the PPM is low, there are some cautions to be observed when heating.

[www.charlottepipe.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2011 01:34PM

C,
As with any process that one undertakes, always take the appropriate precautions, whether it is a special oven - well removed from the wife, or special venting and respirators to handle fumes.

That is the wonderful thing about life. Always somehting around the corner to discover, to create, to change, or to modify.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2011 02:34PM

You can make out door chairs, carts, etc. My brother uses them for a target styand at his gun range. They have endless uses, just like an 2 by 4 does.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2011 05:01PM

C,
As with any process that one undertakes, always take the appropriate precautions, whether it is a special oven - well removed from the wife, or special venting and respirators to handle fumes.

That is the wonderful thing about life. Always somehting around the corner to discover, to create, to change, or to modify.

Take care
Roger

All of that is true, however should a pre teen or teenager happen to read this, experimentation may become the order of the day.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.130.52.---)
Date: June 14, 2011 10:01PM

Potato guns are always fun. You just need to get a bigger chamber area to join it to. I think it was a 5" or 6" 2' section that I used in the past for the fuel chamber. Aside from that, you could make some sort of static testing apparatus with them, a spine finder, etc. I'd go with the potato gun.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 15, 2011 08:47AM

larger diameter sections make nice overhead rod / blank racks. One 1/2" hole for the drill to fit through & a dry wall screw through the opposite side into overhead beams / joists. Space three or four of them 3-4 feet apart and the wall clutter of rod blanks is gone and nothing is left to bend/warp. One set for "light" one for "medium" etc.

Posted by: Scott Nordlund (---.sub-174-253-128.myvzw.com)
Date: June 15, 2011 09:05AM

Glue several 8-12" pieces together for a musky lure tackle box. Just cut slots in the top to hold the hooks

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster