I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Writing name on blank
Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: June 12, 2011 06:25PM

I am building a rod for a friend and he would like his name written on the rod. I have never done this before and am wondering what kind of marker I should use for this. I would also imagine that after writing the name that it should get a coat of finish as well, correct? And would it need cp 1st before the finish coat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Writing name on blank
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2011 07:18PM

Go the Flex Coat web site. There is a short video on how to write names on rods. I use the same technique and use Testors or Speedball acrylic ink, then cover with epoxy.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2011 07:25PM

I just checked and that video is still there under "Our short instructional videos."

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2011 08:55PM

[www.dickblick.com]

Use the speed ball quill and nib and acrylic ink.

Practice lettering on an old rod or blank before using it on the final rod.

Let dry for at least an hour and go ahead and coat with epoxy guide finish.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.130.52.---)
Date: June 12, 2011 10:30PM

I use a technical pen. It's a Koh-i-noor rapidograph pen. I believe Matt Davis has a good description of how he uses his if you run a search, I believe a few others also use a technical pen. It was here that I got the idea to use one. I put a layer of epoxy down, let it dry, then write the info, let it dry, and then spray with some krylon acrylic uv clear coating to protect the ink. Once all is dry, I think put at least 1 coat of epoxy over it. As Mr. Wilson says, practice. It takes a little to get used to writing.

Date: June 12, 2011 11:42PM

Jim,
Also, if you happen to have poor penmenship, don't be afraid to enlist the help of a friend, or spouse who has better penmanship to do your writing on your rods.

Roger

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2011 08:50AM

You could also have a decal made, with his name and any other info you would like to include. Check out Decal Connection, a sponsor on the left of this page.

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2011 10:02AM

Roger;
Do you use anything on the blank or threads like CP or rod finish before you write on it.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: June 13, 2011 10:18AM

I have had great success with Sakura paint pens.....I have silver and white and I initial and date my rods on the back side and then coat over the paint with my finish. I have used decals too and they are cool but I think my own handwriting on the rod is a little more personal. Especially when I build for family.

Date: June 13, 2011 10:48AM

Corky,
No, I write on the blank, wait an hour and then apply thread wrapping finish over the writing at the same time as I do the rest of the rod.

Roger

p.s.
I do the writing on the bare blank. I know that some folks put a layer of finish on the blank before writing, but I have really not had any issues in writing on the bare blank. I do make a point of degreasing the blank before ever starting the build, so I am sure that there are no oils or grease, or fingerprints on the blank before lettering the rod.

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 13, 2011 11:12AM

About 40 years ago I started using Letraset dry letter transferring on blanks and it started a trend with rod builders. Unfortunately they no longer make that but there is another company that makes it . i use 18 point size in script and it looks fantastic as if a calligrapher did the writing. I transfer it with a a burnisher from Charetpak which is made specifically for dry transfering. The colors can be gotten in white,black,silver, gold but white looks best on a black blank. A ligtht coat of CP after it is on when dry a couple of coats of finish will give you a very professional looking signature.

Date: June 13, 2011 08:46PM

WOW guys so many ideas. This is great. My original idea was simple. All I want to do is place my initials and date. But now I've got some other ideas brewing as well. Thanks so much!

Date: June 13, 2011 08:46PM

WOW guys so many ideas. This is great. My original idea was simple. All I want to do is place my initials and date. But now I've got some other ideas brewing as well. Thanks so much!

Posted by: Dion Woodfield (---.lns1.bat.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 14, 2011 03:13AM

You can also get sticker sheets you can put through your printer if you have one.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.251.---)
Date: June 15, 2011 03:35PM

I'm not sure what the differences are between quills, but some tend to dig into a rod making it difficult to get good quaility. i have burnished them on 400 sandpaper while rotating the tip slightly to soften up the angles on the tip. I also have found that a groove in a board to set the blank into while writing facilitates the process. And practice on anything round. If you use the acrilic ink suggested by others, and make a mistake, get it off fast and you'll be able to start over with no problem.

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: June 15, 2011 05:02PM

Bernie where do you get that from?

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 15, 2011 08:25PM

Steven I got the sheets from Merrick .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster