I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MICRO MILESTONES
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2011 05:41PM

Although Match guides and even the term “Micro” guides for the casting version have been around and available in Japan since the mid 70’s they remained in virtual obscurity in the US until;

2006- Bill Batson sent severial Batson micro guides off to a US builder to experiment with. With the specific request that he be able to see the rods when completed.

Feb. 2007- Batson Enterprises débuted the very first technique specific bass rods built with 2 and 2.5 mm Micro guides in their booth at the I.C.R.B.E. one spinning rod and one bait caster.
Giving Custom builders who attended the show the first opportunity to look at and handle them.

July 2007- Tom Kirkman published the first of 3 articles on them using a photo of those same two rods for the cover. Effectively exposing the rest of the custom rod building world and major rod manufactures to them.

July/August 2007- After some 200+ emails, a few declaring this would be a fad that disappeared in 2 years or less.
One in particular telling the author that; “He would be responsible for bankrupting custom builders all over the country as their trash cans filled up with these useless rods their customers had bought back”
But most requesting info on where Micro guides could be purchased.

A little later 2007- After having those 200 equerries referred to him. Bob McKamey (formally “Custom Tackle”) was the very first supplier to take the risk and stock Batson Micro guides for sale to custom builders. Shortly after Fuji also became available.

Early fall 2008- A small group of 6 custom builders started working together. Bouncing ideas thought processes and results off each other, in order to better understand the little guides, their advantages, disadvantages, applications, and rod design.

Nov. 2008- Those same builders, who jokingly called themselves; “the Micro Maniacs”.
After some prompting, posted a series of threads (M&M volumes 1 though 7), in an effort to compile enough info to support those experimenting with them and to enlist support from others working with the Micro’s, for the benefit of the entire rod building community. Also effectively creating printed documentation that could be used for future reference and marketing of the guides and rods built with them to the general public.

December 2008- Bill Batson shared in vol. 3 of the M&M threads that: “Batson Enterprises has to date in the past 18 months sold over 12,000 mini guides and tops.”
Stating; “WOW not bad for a Niche product.”

January or February 2009- Micro rods were put in the hands a few select Professional Elite Bass Anglers. The first to receive a couple was Brent Chapman one built by Bill Stevens, the other by Bobby Feazel, a short time later Mr. Feazel also put some in the hands of Tom Mann Jr.

It was shortly after this time that the rest of the rod building world started to take notice of what Custom rod builders were accomplishing with these little guides.

Feb 2009 Tom Kirkman has the very first seminars on Micros guides Presented at the I.C.R.B.E.

About this same time after seeing the “handwriting on the wall” other component manufacturers started designing and importing micro guides in an effort to keep up or catch up with the trend Batson Enterprises and Custom builders had started.

Soon after, several Major rod companies (also seeing the hand writing on the wall)
Rushed into development of rods with Micro guides on them, (Amtak, Kigan, Pacbay and others came in at the request of market demand for more product).

2010 through 2011- Component manufacturers offer redesigned versions of Micro guides and tip/tops to better serve the rigors of rods used in bass fishing and other markets.

June 2011- CRITICAL MASS maybe? (Most of the below info provided by industry insiders)

Diawa, Wright and McGill, Castaway, Falcon, Duckett Fishing, e21, Kistler, Bass
Pro Shops and a huge listing of other public and private labels are now on the market with Micro rods.

35% of Elite Bass Professionals are now using micro guide rods.

Presently over 1,000,000 Micro guide rods (that’s right one million) are in the hands of purchasers.

This concept has impacted fishing rods of the future.

Many custom builders have the capability of building a better fishing tool!

If you do not know what size micro guides are, simply look at the vendors
sites listed to the left - they are clearly identified.

With an average of 10 micro guides on a rod
That’s roughly 10, 000,000 Plus Micro guides presently in use.

To Quote Bill Batson: “WOW not bad for a Niche product.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2011 05:45PM by Steve Gardner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MICRO MILESTONES
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: June 10, 2011 06:09PM

Good stuff, Steve! Thank you, and Bill, and Bobby for pushing the envelope.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2011 07:24PM

Really AWESOME Steve, we all appreciate what you have done!

DR

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 10, 2011 08:38PM

Great info Steve !!! Thanks for hanging in there for us ! Because of You , Bill Stevens and the rest of the "Maniacs" , I am building nothing but Micro rods for Bass fishing. All my local tournament fishermen and non-tournament fishermen now demand all their rods be built with Micros. I have also had to strip a bunch of " factory" rods and re-wrap them with Micros. These guys didn't worry about the scars either, as long as they were set up properly with Micros.
Every one of them will say, " This thing casts a lot better than it used to, and it's light as a feather."
I am building 7 ' rods that weigh from 3.3 oz's up to 4.5 oz's, depending on the blank and how the rod will be used. That is a huge weight savings compared to an off the shelf rod of any brand.
Thanks again for the info !

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: June 10, 2011 11:01PM

I am not sure who supplied them, but back in the late 70's and early 80's some of the Tournament series Cabela's rods were built with micro or mini guides. They were on the spinning rods not sure about the heavier bass rods of that time.

Date: June 11, 2011 09:38AM

Thanks for the comments, but that was not the reason for the post.

Quite honestly;
I just like to tinker and step out of the box once in a while.

Had it not been for the support Bill and Batson enterprises provide for this industry there would have been no opportunity to start with.

If it was not for the venue, actually 3 Venue’s (I.C.R.B.E., Rod Maker mag., and this Forum), that Mr. Kirkman has spent thousands of hours and hundreds of thousand dollars building. That created the visibility attracting builders from around the world to view, participate in, read, places to learn, share, grow, and teach.
Most likely NONE of this would have happened, and if it did only a relatively few friends would even know about it.
Had it not been for I.C.R.B.E., that attracts Vendors and a builder (John Ballard of J.B. Custom Rods) who introduced us at the event? I would not even have known who Bill Batson is.

If it had not been for a small group of committed builders putting their egos and business aside to work with each other figuring these little things out, then being willing to share the info with the rod building community. Things would not be where they are at today.

Heck if it had not been for a rod building community that for the most part shares info like no other craft does; this would not have happened.

Had it not been for a few un-named behind the scenes individuals (industry insiders if you will) applying pressure to the manufacturers to provide better guides and tops. The viability of Micros in the market place would not be where it’s at today.

That post was not about a pat on the back.
It was to support those builders still wondering if these things will work by providing enough empirical evidence of such workings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2011 03:02PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: June 11, 2011 07:28PM

I think the message was heard Steve. But really what can we say besides Thanks? That doesn't mean we are only thanking you:)

I feel blessed that I stumbled upon this forum. I started off visiting other forums as they are aimed more towards the salt water stuff I do. I find most are stuck in the past building like they did several years ago. They seem to feel the small weight savings isn't worth it as it is a very small fraction of the rod and reel combined. They are convinced only a larger double foot guide will survive. Thanks to guys here I now know better.

I have a ways to go. I can't say I have gone micro yet as a #4 fly rod guide is the smallest I have used. Still that is a long ways from the double foot #8 the same rod would have seen in the past.

Again, thanks to all that have been involved in sharing and helping to open eyes to what is possible.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2011 08:46PM

Just a question, I've gone down to #4's on my last build (7' crankbait rod) very light and casts great.
How much more can be obtained by going to #3's or #2.5's?
Is it worth the increased difficulty to handle these little guys? (I thought the 4's were pretty darn small)

I know that's a loaded question, just curious on your opinions.
Thanks.

Date: June 11, 2011 10:27PM

Steven
It has been my observations that #3 or 2.5 outperform and out cast 4's
and that the weight of 3's are about 1/2 the weight of 4's.
My best casting rod "period" has 2.5mm running guides
My second best casting rod has 2mm running guides, but is also 14 inches shorter

With the newer designed guides some of the weights may be closer together, But I'm not sure it is the weight making the differences or the smaller guides doing a better job of controlling the line and cutting down further on line slap.

below are links to two series of test done about 3 years ago that will answer most of your question.
[rodbuilding.org]

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: June 11, 2011 10:57PM

Terry Kirk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am not sure who supplied them, but back in the
> late 70's and early 80's some of the Tournament
> series Cabela's rods were built with micro or mini
> guides. They were on the spinning rods not sure
> about the heavier bass rods of that time.

NEWS FLASH

I have in my lap this moment a South Bend 7' ultra light that has black frame, silver ring all metal guides that look like DynaFlo. V frame16mm, 10mm, 8mm , and the rest are fly 6mm, 4mm, 4mm, 3mm with an unbraced 3mm tip. Model number is ML-352

I bought this rod along time ago. Maybe 12 to15 years or longer.

Here's the best part. It says MICRO LITE on it.

Chuck

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.sttl.static.dslblast.com)
Date: June 13, 2011 09:44AM

Steve,
We The Batson TEAM thank you for everything you have done. If it were not for you asking me if i had any really small guides at the show this would of never happened. I just happened to have a set of these Micro/Mini guides in my stash of stuff.
We now have sold alot of the first generation Forecast Mini guides and tops and will continue to offer them in the new catalog.
We now have the SECOND GENERATION ALPS Mini guides and matching Braced tops>> That will be available in a few weeks (July 1st)>>in our new 162 page color catalog>>which we will announce soon>>the finest document of its kind the industry has ever seen.

AGAIN >>Steve>>tTHANK you for all you do.
and this great industry/craft of rod building>> we the Ba5tson TEAM thank you all. If it were not for the support you have shown the Batson products and team these types of advancements would not be possible. You all are the reason Why we are the #1 Wholesale distributor in the nation>>
A US family owned and operated company.

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines
877-875-2381 = toll free #
www.batsonenterprises.com = website
batson@batsonenterprieses.com = e-mail

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.sub-174-252-152.myvzw.com)
Date: June 13, 2011 09:24PM

Steve, Batson, M&Ms,

Thanks for all you have done to advance the craft, and all you have done to nudge me in the right direction when needed. As some of you know, It was right as Bob McKamey was bringing micro guides to the market for the general public that I started building. After reading about micros, I knew exactly what guides I needed for the fishing I do. I built my first rod with micros, and have yet to wrap a rod with guides larger than 5mm for running guides.

Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster