I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

foot pedal
Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: June 09, 2011 05:59PM

I use a rod dryer to aply my finish on my guides and wraps. When I get to the top of the guide I would like to stop the rotation for a second to make sure I get epoxy in the tunel. What I'm looking for is a pedal that breaks the current so that when I step on it it stops so I can do what I have to. Unless there is another solution to my problem that can make my life a little easier. It just seems this would be better than holding the pedal down the whole time and then letting go for the short time I need to apply finish in that area.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: foot pedal
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2011 06:12PM

Steve,
Here is an inexpensive example of a foot switch that will work:

[www.amazon.com]

Then, you can also add a single pole double throw switch to either enable the dryer all of the time, or switch the power over to the foot switch:

[www.google.com]

Just cut one of the power wires going to the dryer motor. Put the power side of the dryer wire to the center terminal of the single pole double throw switch.
Then, put one wire from the foot switch to one of the end terminals of the double pole switch. Put the other wire from the foot switch to the empty wire on the dryer motor.
Then, run a wire from the unused terminal on the single pole double throw switch to the same wire that is on the dryer motor that you added the foot switch wire.

Now, flip the single pole switch one way and the dryer motor will run all of the time.
Flip the single pole switch the other way and that will enable the foot switch. If the foot switch is up, the dryer motor is stopped. Push the foot pedal down and the dryer motor is turned on.

Simple, easy and no need to reach over to flip a switch off and on.

When everything has been setup the way that you want it, flip the single pole switch and the dryer motor will run all of the time and disable the foot switch.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2011 06:34PM

Turn the rod by hand until you get all the guides covered and you're happy with them. Then chuck the rod and turn on the dryer.

You might also look at the Flex Coat clutch - the rod spins but when you grab it by hand it disengages. Let go and it re-engages.

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: June 09, 2011 07:04PM

Roger I was looking for just the opposite I want it to stop when I step on the pedal but I get what ur saying I just think it would be better the other way.

Thanks Tom I have looked into those and I'm undecided what way I want to go.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2011 08:08PM

Steve,
If you want it to go the other way, just get a pedal that is momentary off rather than momentary on.

--------
I have several different power wrappers and motor setups.
On one of them, I have a foot pedal that is non spring return.

Lately when I build a rod, I just leave the rod on the wrapper. I apply the finish, using the foot pedal as needed. I can vary the speed from 0 - 1000 rpm in either direction.

When I get the finish applied the way that I want it, I place the foot pedal so that the rod is turning at the desired dryer speed, and I let it go.

Of course this doesn't work if I have other rods in the build. But if I am just doing a single build, it saves having to move the rod.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tom St.Clair (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 10, 2011 06:34PM

here is a foot switch. I use one like it on my dust collector, step on one end =on and stays on, step on other = off and stays off......
when you get ready to start tap switch.....when you want to stop tap other side, then tap it back on.....
I love it , don't have to reach around dust collector to turn it off......

[www.harborfreight.com]

good luck

tom

--------------------------------

tom in indy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster