I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

12' Gaff Blank
Posted by: Nick Brunetti (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 09, 2011 12:53AM

Anyone out there (builder or supplier) know of a source for 12' gaff blanks?

Thanks,
Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 12' Gaff Blank
Posted by: billy broderick (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 09, 2011 05:01AM

Nick you are going to have a hard time finding such a long gaff handle. One idea is to build your own out of a rod blank. you will need to buy a surf blank (fiberglass) longer then what you want the finished gaff too be. Cut the tip down getting rid of the thin section. Now tape one end and pour the center too fill with laitex. I believe tap plastic carries it. Just an idea.

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 09, 2011 06:31AM

I made a 12' gaff out of an old fiberglass VHF antenna I found....ripped all the inners out to lighten up...works great

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 09, 2011 07:51AM

12', dang it man, what are you gaffing?

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.169.popsite.net)
Date: June 09, 2011 10:56AM

Would two 6' pieces with a connector for you to epoxy into place be satisfactory?

[www.lamiglas.com]

Give Lamiglas a call.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 09, 2011 02:00PM

I also did a gaff using an old vhf antenna. Worked great. 6ft. I think it was a little sturdier in the tip section compared to a rod blank. I removed the wiring then built it.
I also think a two piece will work just fine and you can probably get even a sturdier shaft that way. Just find a piece of rod blank that would slide into each section where you would glue it in about 5 or 6 inches in each section and your in business. My only question is what your gaffing and from where. There will be some bend in the blank at that length and I suppose that could effect the gaffing capabilities. Using a rod blank or antenna,I think fish in the 20 to 40 pound range it might work. I think at 12 foot you might have some issues getting the gaff hook to stick good because it will bend a bit.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2011 02:38PM

Nick; Seeker Rod Co. makes a commercial Lift Pole that's 12' in length. The commercial guys use them to fish Albacore. I doubt you would want to pay the shipping for one though. If you are interested go to Seeker's web site and you should find them in the blank catalog.

Posted by: Herman Knott (---.static.acsalaska.net)
Date: June 09, 2011 04:08PM

I have built several 5' gaffs.
Look at garage sales i picked up 4 at a garage sale for 2.00$ each these were solid glass strip them down and go from there.
Have not had 1 fail in 3 years and that includs the one on a charter boat.

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 09, 2011 07:18PM

matthew jacobs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 12', dang it man, what are you gaffing?

Bluefish on a charter boat..............

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2011 08:37PM

We use Bamboo gaffs on the Party boats here,Wrapped with Seine cord

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: June 10, 2011 04:05PM

Calcutta isn't so easy to come by anymore. If I wanted something cheap in that length I might consider a hardwood dowel, like they use to hang clothes on in a closet. It won't be elegant but it will be functional. Try 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" and finish with linseed oil or spar varinsh. Then wrap with tuna cord. There are other things but you need some luck to obtain them economically. For example if you have a friend in the electrical utility business try a "hot stick" that has failed a conductivity test:)

You might want to check local laws. They may be a limit on length.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster