I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help With Saltwater Spinning Rod Rebuild
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2011 12:12PM

I normally build bass rods; but have been asked my a friend to refurbish several of his saltwater rods. One of the rods is a 9'-0" fiberglass spinning rods, (quite old), which currently contains wire frame braced guides, (low frame) sized as follows:

Guide 1: 10mm @ 51/4"
Guide 2: 16mm @ 11 3/8"
Guide 3: 20mm @ 18 3/8"
Guide 4: 25mm @ 26 3/4"
Guide 5: 35mm @ 36"
Guide 6: 40mm @ 47"
Guide 7: 50mm @ 61"

After re-reading through Dale P. Clemens book, (my Bible), "Advanced Custom Rod Building", I realize the benefit of changing the guides to a high frame guide.

I should note this rod is used on party boats and is not used for surf fishing. I have asked the friend to measure the spool diameter on the reel he uses on this rod; however he has not gotten back to me with the measurement. I assume it is a large saltwater spinning reel, as he uses the rod for Yellowtail, White Sea Bass, etc. This would require line test of at least 15 to 20 lb test, if not larger.

My question is can anyone of you builders more familiar with saltwater spinning rods than myself give me some rough recommendation for guide sizes and guide type to be used on this rod?

I would prefer not to buy a bunch of guides for a saltwater spinning rod for testing when I probably will not do many more saltwater rods.

You assistance is sincerely appreciated.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help With Saltwater Spinning Rod Rebuild
Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2011 01:41PM

If he's been using wire guides then regular Hardloy guides would be fine. Now on a 9' spinner depending on the reel spool size I would look for a Fuji 25 HV if not a 30SV for the first guide just go down from there. like this...25HV ,20Hv, 16SV, 12sv,10mn,8,mn,8mn +tip. Build it COF and it should be fine. He's not looking to cast a mile off a party boat. BTW I didn't think party boats allowed rods that long!!

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2011 01:51PM

John,

Thank you for your input. It is appreciated. You feel that a 25Hv or 30HV is large enough for the rod?

I don't have a clue when it comes to saltwater spinning rods. I don't know about the party boat limitation on rod lengths. We are located in So. Cal and he normally goes out of San Diego on over-night trips. Probably not what would be referred to as a "party boat"!

Thanks again,

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: June 08, 2011 03:10PM

I doubt there is a limit on length. If he is using a newer reel with braid a size 30 high frame guide should do. He may want a double foot guide and those aren't as high so a 40 might be needed. If he is using an old school reel he might need a Much larger guide. Some of the surf rods used ones as big as 70's.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster