I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

paste/liquid
Posted by: Michael Titone (---.dsl.hrlntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2011 08:06PM

I am on my 2nd build. On my first build I used flex coat rod builders epoxy glue. This was applied with a brush and seemed very easy to work with. On my current build I am using pro bond epoxy paste. From what I understand I should let this set up longer. After 24 hrs. it seems it is pretty set to me. With the flex coat you use syringes so you know you are getting the proper mix, with the paste you are using wooden sticks. What is your guys take on these products? Is anyone better than the other one?

Thanks,
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: paste/liquid
Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: June 06, 2011 09:34PM

They both work and have their place. The paste tends to create less of a mess (for me) when gluing up grips and handle assy's. Sometimes it depends on how closely fitted the parts are. If every thing is dry fitted ahead of time and tolerences are close, a quicker setting liquid epoxy can be used to your advantage. Other times you might elect to use a larger reel seat (relative to the blank diameter) and build abors "on the fly". Then the slower setting, thicker paste, can give you the required time and gap filling ability required.

Use what works best for you in a given situation. There is no right and wrong. We are blessed to have choices....even if it makes our brain hurt trying to pick the right one:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 06, 2011 09:44PM

I use paste (Rod Bond) for reel seats, etc. I use liquid (FC 5-minute) for epoxy ramps. As Russ mentioned, each has its place in the arsenal ... along with other glues and epoxies.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2011 09:45PM

I use both. I like to use U 40 rod bond when I am installing a reel seat on a surf rod or offshore rod where I have had to build tape arbors. I use Flex Coat glue for everything else. I also use a brush and brush on the glue to a rod blank and then slide the grip down. I use Titebond III most of the time for gluing cork rings. However, a couple of days ago I used FC Glue to make a grip and I turned the grip today. You can't see the glue lines. I have a set of the Pro Bond that a local store owner gave me to try but I have not tried it yet. With the U 40 I use some old spoons to measure the components. I then scrape as much out with some plastic sticks that I have. I have never had anything come loose doing that and some of my rods get a workout in the surf with sharks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 06, 2011 09:54PM

I use Rod Bond for seats arbors, handles and extensions Tip tops 5 - Min flex coat. Once in a while I use Quick Bond same as Rod Bond but sets faster maybe for seats arbors make sure it is market so it does not set be fore aliened.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2011 10:43PM

I assume you're talking about epoxy adhesive and not epoxy thread finish.

Posted by: Michael Titone (---.dsl.hrlntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2011 11:25PM

Yes I am talking about the epoxy adhesive. I used a flex coat thread finish on my threads on my first rod and am planning on using that on this rod.
I am thinking about putting in some thread inlays on the grip. If I do, I plan on putting a coat of thread finish on the cork, just the inlay and putting the threads in place and then put on enough finish to bring it up to the level of the rest of the cork. How would you guys suggest that I get a perfectly round inlay cut? I do not have a rod lathe. Is this the correct way to do something like this?

Date: June 06, 2011 11:28PM

If you have a drill you have a lath

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 06, 2011 11:36PM

If you have a drill you have a lath Look at the Photo Page for home made equipment

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2011 04:29PM

i have all three.... pro bond, rod bond, flex coat, i like pro and rod bond. i use them both... the pro bond is more better for sliding down small i.d. grips as its more of a lubricant then the rod bond. not a big fan of the flex coat.. good for buttcaps and winding checks... and epoxy ramps. never lost a grip sliding down with pro or rod bond, but have got some stuck with the flex coat. choose what you like. its more of a preference.

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 15, 2011 10:37PM

How long does rod bond take to set?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 16, 2011 07:07AM

Hello Ken

It says 1 hour but I usually give it two.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster