I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Size trouble with one guide
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: June 06, 2011 04:27PM

In setting up a spinning rod for bass fishing I am using the intersect guide at the x27 spot on the blank, give or take an inch or so. I am using size 25 then 16, 12 in either SIC or Alconite and it is the next guide that is the problem to get to my intersect guide. I am using micros (3.5 or 4.0) for the final running guides with YSG or BYAG guides on the bottom but it seems the transation between the 3rd guide and intersect is difficult to get in progression. I have used a bridge guide and a size 7 YSG that seems to work but nothing I have tried suits my eye! The rods do cast great but I just think there is a better 'twener guide?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Size trouble with one guide
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2011 04:38PM

You may not need another guide. Try replacing the 12 with a 10 or 8 (high frame) and see where that locates things.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2011 05:41PM

Go 25-16-8-runners

DR

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: June 06, 2011 09:06PM

Bill, I feel your pain. Every time I set one up I am never satisfied with what I am told should work. I always seem to end up with four transistion guides. I think I am looking for things to be "too perfect".

I have something along the lines of what you describe. It is a 7'6" light power, fast action, salt water spinner so the butt is longer than normal at 12" and has a 2500 sized reel. Looking at it I'd guess 25, 16, 12 .....then I added a low profile fly rod guide like my running guides.....call it an 8....then 4's all the way out.

I am told I should never need more than three guides to get down to my final running guide size. Still, try as I might, I'm never happy with the static test without adding another in-between size. Personaly I think I am over thinking it all but I feel very happy with the end results and static testing so I try to be okay with it all.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 06, 2011 09:19PM

i actually did a 6'3" spinning rod with a 25, 16. 7 to the choke and it works very well. I cannot get used to the intersect being the same (about) distance from the reel! I keep trying to put more guides on the bottom part of thr rod, longer rod needs more guides right! I will use the three setup for the transations. I have seen some high speed film of a spinning rod cast and really the line is choked down after guide number two! I just looked at the 6'3" rod and it does "look" right! Waiting on tip to dry before taping everything up and testing so should be wrapping by tomorrow night. Sometimes I just want to over think a new project, must need more practice!!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 06, 2011 10:28PM

Put the reel on and try the old way. take the spool off and use the shaft that holds it on. Go from there to the blank I always put my line thought the ring not on top being a spin and Gravity what it is I figure it takes the line down as it comes off the spool So i go into instead of on top

Either way on top or thought the ring

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.credit-agricole.fr)
Date: June 07, 2011 05:52AM

I build some 7' and 7'6" spinning rod with the BYAG25/BYAG16/BYAG7(or BYAG8) set up then BLAG4 to top with good result.
If this may help you.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: June 07, 2011 09:27AM

If your size 25 and 16 can be had in a higher 'M' style frame the third guide from the butt often works out visually most pleasing if its a regular lower style frame. Then go down to your running guides (mostly fly for me).

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2011 06:57PM

Bill,
If you like running with the 26, 16, 12 setup, consider bending the guide foot of the #12 guide to get the line angle that you want.

Often, by making the foot straight and then rebending it to a shorter length, by either a little or a lot can make the difference between a line angle that suits you and one that bothers you.

It does seem that there are some rods that have actions that require guides in locations and of a size that conventional setups simply don't work so well.

Really nothing wrong with making a guide foot straght and then rebending it as needed. Just use two pairs of pliars, and do not touch the ceramic ring when doing it or you will likely pop the ring out or crack the ring.

Or you could use one of the other suggestions and go with a smaller or lower profile guide foot. Your choice.

I also like to see a nice straight line or smooth curve from the center of the first guide ring down to the running guides and then the transition to the horizontal running guides.

Roger

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: June 08, 2011 02:31PM

Bill,

You may be satisfied with something like 25, 10, 5, and then your runners or even 25, 10, 6 then runners. Give either of those a shot and see what you think. I have both setups and am equally satisfied. I use Fuji or Batsons in my setups. I am not sure what line you are using but I have used mono, braid and even flouro on these setups with great success. I have used 2000 and 2500 sized reels on my setups.

tom

Date: June 08, 2011 03:57PM

Here is what I have after testing. This is a 6'10" extra fast St Criox so I have the top 4 giudes pretty close (4 to 5 inches) which I adjusted only slightly after testing. On the bottom I have a 25,16, 7 high frame going to my 3.5 choke guide. from number 1 to nukmber two is about 11.5 inches then 9.5 then 8. The blank is pretty stiff in that area and I saw no problem. So I have 7 guides on this rod and you guys are correct that it does not appear to need an extra on the bottom end. So I will coin a new phrase "if it does not look right it probably isn't"! I plan to give it the on the water test this weekend which might be pushing the finish but I just cannot wait!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster