I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping Micro guide with a finer thread that size A ?
Posted by: didier stephan (---.34.93.79.rev.sfr.net)
Date: June 04, 2011 05:47PM

Hello .

I use the size A since a long time.
But with Micro Guide , and because weight is the issue , would it be reasonable to use a finer thread that the conventional size A ? If that exist .

I think especially in light blank ( spinning , from L up to M )
And i have a so thinner thread from sewing machine , i wonder if it would be strong enough ? i will have to make a try .

Well , i guess i'm not the first who think to it !
Any input ?

Thanks .

D.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping Micro guide with a finer thread that size A ?
Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: June 04, 2011 06:06PM

I'd stay away from sewing machine thread. There's no telling what sort of coating it has on it.

For wrapping thread, the smallest I know of is Pearsall's Gossamer Silk. I've used it quite a bit. It's tiny, tiny. And, when you put epoxy (or permagloss) on it, you can make really low profile wraps (i.e. less weight).

If you do use it, just make sure that you use a color preserver designed for silk. Further, pay really close attention to packing your threads.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 04, 2011 06:58PM

For myself, with how little thread you really use on the micro guides, I really don't think you would be saving any weight trying something other than size A. I bet if you were able to compare the thread used, there really would not be a difference IMO.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2011 07:35PM

Didier;
"because weight is the issue "
I would not say it IS THE issue.

Yes; the lack of weight is one of the advantages of using Micro's, but not solely the advantage.
coupled together with the other advantages. Is what provides the performance enhancements on rods they work with.

I would follow Andrews advice and stay away from the sewing thread.

Personally have used much silk, even some two strand stuff that has worked quite well further reducing weight. I would suggest staying away from the color preserver

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 04, 2011 07:36PM

I have not measured Pro Wrap yet it is thin The A is a lot thinner them most

Try a search some one here ( unless they chime in ) has measured thread OD if I remember right
Also there was an article in RodMaker .

Tom I don't remember the issue ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2011 07:56PM

Naples or Gossamer silk would be a good choice for wrapping micros ... both to reduce weight (a small amount) and for aesthetic reasons (silk w/o preserver has a sharp look).

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 05, 2011 12:45AM

Alex ,,,,whats his name,,,, ( I wont attempt it ) showed me some Silk thread at the Show 2 years ago and I have been using it ever since on Micros. It is Fish Hawk Silk Sparkle #238. It ( I think) is a Black and Silver twist. Beautiful wraps with no CP. I think it is smaller than A size Nylon.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2011 02:37PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: June 05, 2011 05:44AM

I too have used Gossamer Silk for light fly rod, very nice with no CP (thread became translucent but you have to work on your guide foot to have a nice finish).

But I'm not sure on micro the weight saving will be noticiable.

Date: June 05, 2011 05:45AM

Hello .

Thanks for your comments .

Ok , i'll stay away from sewing machine thread .(It was convenient because I have on hand )

So silk seems to be thread of choice . I've never touch one .
CP and silk ? Will silk fade with sun ? UV rays can destroy the silk? I mean silk is more fragile than nylon in the sun?

I had not yet addressed the issue. I'm going to make a search here.

D.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2011 08:23AM

Silk is plenty strong enough. Many 100+ year old bamboo rods wrapped with silk are still in use today. All threads will fade in UV. CP on silk acts almost exactly the same as on nylon.

Date: June 05, 2011 09:01AM

I take good notes, Ken . Thank.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2011 09:32AM

Make sure that you use a CP designed for silk ... such as Al's Silk Color Rite. My personal choice is not to use CP, I like the highly translucent look of silk without preserver.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2011 12:08PM

I don't think you need to go finer than size A.
I do have some 00 which says Gudebrod on the spool
and I believe this is thinner than A.
Not sure if they still make it.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: June 18, 2011 04:20PM

I've wrapped several micro bass/inshore rods with size 00 Gudebrod silk. I stopped using it because of availability issues... standard "A" size is easier to find. I just don't think it saves that much weight, I think there is a point of diminishing returns in rodbuilding, and I think size "A" thread and micros is about as good as it gets.

In other words, I can tell the difference in weight and "feel-the-bite" sensitivity between my Patriarch spinning reel at 6.3oz. with the carbon spool, and 6.8 oz. with the aluminum spare spool, and the difference between micros and size 6 guides, but not thread below size "A".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster