I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MICRO guides
Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.facultystaff.eku.edu)
Date: June 04, 2011 01:47PM

Well I fought it off as long as I could, But I am going to break down and finally build a rod with micros on it. I was hoping it would all be a fad and pass and I wouldnt have to.

I am building a American Tackle classic series 907 (i think thats the model number) 7'6'' H Fast flipping stick. I am going with a size 6 double foot 3 #4 micros and 8 #3 Micros plus a tip. I think that will work for this rod as it is very stiff and powerful.

I plan on wrapping with size A gudebrod with a forhan locking wraps on it. Thats all I know so far, does this sound like a reasonable set up to use as a flipping stick?

Also I was thinking of using two coats of permagloss instead 1 coat of flexcoat, but have never used permagloss before and would be thankful for any advice on it.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MICRO guides
Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 04, 2011 04:05PM

Hi - I found 3 coats of Permagloss works better long term and doesn't add appreciably to the weight. Welcome to "it's a small, small world"!

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2011 04:52PM

With the weight reduction by using the micros there is no need to worry about any extra weight Flexcoat will add.
Use what you're comfortable with. Permagloss will require at least (3) coats as Richard says.

On you set-up you could go #6 DF, #4 SF and then all #3's to tip, no need for more than one #4.
I just built a crankbait rod with micros and went with 6 df, 5 sf, all 4's to tip and Flexcoat high build - it's casts really well.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2011 04:57PM

If you already plan to use size 3's, why bother with the 4's at all? Just drop right on down to the 3's. Having the 4's in there isn't doing anything for you nor the line.

Posted by: Jerry Haight (---.sub-97-147-119.myvzw.com)
Date: June 04, 2011 05:07PM

until you do a static test you wont know exactly how many guides youll need but 12 guides should be a good start

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: June 04, 2011 05:23PM

I might be burnt at the stake for suggesting this but have you considered weighing the guides? What is the point in buying something because it is called "micro" (whatever that means) if it offers no performance improvment?

I have been moving towards smaller guides. In a particular line, alconites, I found a #6 fly rod guide wasn't too bad to wrap. On the next rod I went with 4"s. The guides were so much smaller I found them very hard to work with. If I dropped one it was impossible to find. I needed tweezers to handle them. In short I think I ended up with a worse rod because I found it impossible to keep guide wraps as short as I'd like. I suppose I'd do better with practice. Honestly it was so frustrating I haven't wrapped another rod and decided to go with a bigger guide in a lighter material (titanium).

So I'd consider getting a few offerings and weigh them. You may find a larger an easier to handle guide might weigh less. You may also find it is such a chore to put your fishing line through such little guides in actual "on the water conditions" that you regret your decision after the fact. Now I'm blind as a bat and fish salt water where the boat is always rocking and my glasses are dirty from water spots so your situation might vary.

Just some food for thought. Other than the rod taking a lot longer to build, the guide wraps not being equal lengths and all as short as possible, and it being a pain to rig in difficult situations (forget night time fishing), I love the results. ROFLMAO.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 04, 2011 06:54PM

The first time or so, it was a bit of a pain wrapping the micro guides, but once you have done them a few times, they are not unlike any other guide. I have found ways for me at least that work best to wrap them and the results I am most pleased with. With fishing the tournaments I do and being a non-boater, using the micro guides, my rods don't get all hung up as much any more, maiking it easier to get to different rods.

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: June 04, 2011 10:15PM

I agree with Tom for the sizes. I just built 2 of the same rods and it didn't take no more than 10 guides plus top. If you plan on using the smaller guides get you some rubber bands for braces this will make life alot easier. have atleast 2 blocking wraps after your locking wraps I tend to go 3 most of the time. JMO

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 05, 2011 09:53AM

Russ,
All the weighing has been done, there is no comparision, micros is lighter, no matter what material you use, or compare it to.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: June 05, 2011 10:27AM

Could someone please define what size a micro is? Is there more than one micro size?

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2011 10:37AM

Russ,
Have you tried the Pac Bay Minimas? I find that they are lighter than a ceramic ring guide in the same size and style, while having a larger opening than the ceramic guide.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2011 10:49AM

George,
Many of my builds today are being dowe iwth Pac Bay Minimas and the customers are all pleased with the results.
Light easy to wrap, tough in the field.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 05, 2011 11:35AM

They are next on the list George. I question how much weight difference there is between a 4 or 5 minima and a 3 micro. Then you have to think you'd be using more of the 3's too.

I reckon I'd feel differently if I fished fresh water....and my eys were better....and my fat fingers weren't so clumsy and arthritic.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2011 06:33PM

James;
Here you go 4mm or smaller, with the 4mm just barley making it

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster