I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about marlbling
Posted by: john glad (---.78.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2011 11:09AM

Ok, I've built 2 rods now. They have both turned out good! The first was a MHX lt saltwater kit (very basic). The second has been on the dryer since last night, it was built on a MHX lt saltwater blank, went with a split grip and tribal reel seat (a little more challenging but still pretty simple). Now I'm already thinking about my third rod! I want to try marbling the butt. I've watched lots of videos on this and it really doesn't seem difficult to do. My question is, after the "marbling" is set and dry, do you finish it off with clear over the marble or leave it as is?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about marlbling
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2011 11:15AM

You don't need to put anything over the top - it's already epoxy and will be glossy. You could put another clear coat on top, but it would only add weight.

If you want to see the difference, try one on a scrap and the topcoat one half and leave the other half alone. That way you can see which one you prefer.

Posted by: john glad (---.78.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2011 11:44AM

Thanks Tom, thats what I was kinda thinking. I have another question, Will the pro kote medium build thread finish be alright for marbling use or should I go with a lighter build?

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2011 01:53PM

HEllo John,

Marbling can be a great add to a rod in cosmetics ! Most people love the looks and marvel over the finish and looks. I have done many and there is many ways to make different effects as you have already seen from the videos. In my experience thus far a good base for your marbling to come out with desired effects of color is important. Think about your color scheme first and lay down a base thread with the color that will make your marbling colors pop! Its relitivly easy to do, I use the pigments from Mud hole for mine with no issues whats so ever. If your after pigments with metallic in them, I have found them at Anglers Workshop they have a good line of colors to chose from. I can post a link to some of my work for review to see what shcems I have come up with there in the photo gallery.

[www.facebook.com]

If you have any questions about what process I use and products let me know !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 04, 2011 08:38PM

John,

I ALWAYS topcoat a marbling job with one more coats of clear only. This gives the marbling a deeper look, protects the metal or mica flakes(when using metallic's) from protruding through the surface (microscopically).

Think of it this way: Years back metal flake color auto car colors like silver had paint failures with dull finish's. As time went on we decided to use a silver BASE color and top coat this with a clear coating. This did two great things: gave the silver depth, and most importantly protected the flake from breaking the surface which resulted in premature failure of the finish per weather, sun, and such.

No added weight from multiple coats is needed. I always put the marble in the FIRST coat of finish, then add my last and final coat on top with clear only. I'll add decals, signatures and such right on top of the marble, then final clear coat. Makes for a nice system without adding weight. Not that weight in the butt is a big problem anyway, usually its a good thing, balance wise.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 08:41PM by Duane Richards.

Posted by: David Aiello (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2011 04:35PM

I do a lot of marbling, graphics and wet slide graphics and the graphic dip. You question on the marbling is If it was me yes I would put a coat of epoxy over the marbled area. it will help protect it also gives it nice depth on the art work. Some people don't But I always have done it. The epoxy will go on a lot easy and the bubbles are very minimal if any because it is a second coat. I would use pro-kote or rod dancer epoxy. Hope it helps. I have been doing this for several years and I had my trails and errors and asked a lot of questions. Marbling is something I have been specializing in and so I hope this helped.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster