I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another Mess!!
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2011 02:44PM

Well I done it now! I had used a can of clear coat the Duplicolor, and it has been at lest 3 weeks, so I wrapped the rod and when I was ready to epoxy the wraps. i noticed some bumps of the clear coat on one side of the rod inbetween the guides, so I had this bright idea of getting a piece of 2000 grit sand paper and sand them smooth, all it did was go right down passed the clear coat and on the graphite, then i wiped it with alcohol and it made it worse! know I have spots of dull and spots of clear coat blotches, so i decided to sand it all smooth inbetween the guides and then thin out some epoxy and put a thin coat of epoxy and see how that would work, now i have an epoxied rod between the guides that i don't think it is going to level out to level, it looks like it will be wavy, but i am going to wait until it cures all the way, the thing is i don't know what to do next, sand it all down and try to wipe it with PG? any suggestions will be very helpful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another Mess!!
Date: June 02, 2011 04:24PM

I finally took some alcohol and wiped all the epoxy off, now I have a dull blank with white dried streaks of, I think some of the clear or the epoxy residue. Now I am thinking of wet sand it with the 2000 or finer sand paper and then wax it with Mothers car polish that I have, hopefully it will shine it to ast least a dull shine, anything will be better then what it looks right now, LOL!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 02, 2011 05:42PM

I have used Dupli Color and have had good results Dried fast and nice and hard And then PGed them

You must have gotten a - Bad _ can ??? DID YOU MIX THE CAN WELL

You might be better to strip the guides off and strip the rod down and re clear With PG

PG will eat into the clear

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 05:43PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2011 05:54PM

Lorenzo,
If you have it down this far, I would likely go down to about 320 grit paper and sand until the blank is a uniform dull color.
Then, work back up to 400,600,1000,1500 and 2000.
I am guessing that all of the finish has not been removed from the blank. With a blank that has finish and no finish you won't have a uniform look.

I have done lots of blanks this way, but after getting the blank down to the final sending that I want, I just wipe it down with DNA and build the rod.

If you want to wax AFTER you build the rod, fine. DON't wax the blank BEFORE you build the rod. The wax will keep the glue from adhering well to the blank for the handle, and it will cause issues when you do the finish application over the guide wraps.

Take care
REW

Date: June 02, 2011 05:57PM

I really don't know what happened Bill, I let the rod sit for like 3 weeks to make sure and then this happened, I ordered me a bottle of Pg, I.m gonna sand it with 2000 wet sand and then polish it, and see how it will come out I did a small part just to see, with the wet sand, it looks like it s really smoothed down now I'm gonna polish that part and see what it looks, I wonder if I can pg it between the guide wraps so that I won't have to strip it all down.I guess it will just take some time to get it all finished.

Posted by: Harold Dean (---.wireless.telus.com)
Date: June 02, 2011 07:39PM

Lorenzo.

I wouldn't try to just PG between the guide feet. If the finish was compromised between the feet, then chances are it may be compromised under the feet as well. I'd do like Roger says, and strip the guides right off and start over. It's discouraging, but I know you'll feel better when it's done. It's only a couple hours work to strip the guides off, sand the blank down and rewrap the guides on a solid base.

Good luck with it.

Harold

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 02, 2011 07:40PM

Never use rod wrapping epoxy to coat a rod, it's not suitable! When you say "polish" if you mean wax, don't expect to be able to apply anything over the wax, it won't adhere! I'd also be very careful with a grit as heavy as 320, IMO better to start with 400 and then go up as Roger recommends.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2011 08:35PM

I 2nd Phils comments.

On the request from a client who wanted a rod for a decoration, I coated the entire rod with epoxy. The rod looked great and it made a wonderful wall hanging.
It also gained a huge amount of weight during the process which effectively ruined it for its use as a fishing rod.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster