I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Steelhead alley" fly rod and line
Posted by: David McDonough (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 02, 2011 03:07AM

I am interested in recommendations for blank and fly line for steelhead in the "steelhead alley" streams around Eerie PA.

Streams are narrow,
Almost all short roll casts (few overhead casts)
Usually only little fly line outside of the tip,
Light tippets (4 or 6lb test)
Longish leaders
Ocassionally fish small streamer flies but it's usually drag free drift fishing mostly with indicators.

I'm thinking of Batson's IF1085-4 (10'8" switch 5#) with a 7# line.

John Nagy, recognized PA steelhead author recommends a fly rod I think made out of the St Croix 10' 6" "noodle" blank 2S106ULS2. See [www.johnnagysteelheadguide.com]
(It's possible that there are a lot more blanks available now though than when he made this recommendation)

I've never seen the above 2 blanks but my guess is that the 2S106ULS2 is slower and lighter than the IF1085-4.

Any recommendations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Steelhead alley" fly rod and line
Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 02, 2011 08:17AM

I have the 8wt version of the Batson blank (actually I have 2 of them). I use it mainly for fishing the Salmon River (out of Lake Ontario). I went with the 8wt because in the fall the majority of the fish are salmon and the 8wt allows me to land the cohos and a chance to land the occasional king in addition to the browns and steelhead. On the Salmon River the 5wt seems a little lite for steelhead. I have struggled to land some of the bigger ones with my 9' 9wt especially when the water runs high. I think your fish tend to be smaller on average and your streams seems much smaller as well. Given all of that the 5 or 6wt would make sense. I would probably choose the 6wt so that I would play around with swinging a fly with a heavier sink tip in addition to the more traditional Great Lakes rig. I fishing mine with an Airflo Speydicator line (6wt line on my 8wt rod) and traditional splitshot/nymph rig. I also swing flies with a sink tip line. Bottom line is I like the switch rod concept and while I have no other switch rod to compare it to, I really like the Batson blank. Can't beat it for the price. As for fly line, check out the Speydicator or the Royal Wolff Ambush lines. They don't overhead cast very well but they are great for roll and spey casts. I use a 4wt Ambush on my 4 and 5wt trout rods when nymph and streamer fishing and the combination is pretty awesome on tight streams. Opens up water I could not fish before since you can back right up to trees and bushes.
I think you will find this many other uses for the blank beside steelheading. I use it in the salt for blues and stripers and in lakes for bass. Overhand (single or two hand) or spey cast gives you lots of options especially when the surroundings are tight and you need to make a long cast.

Quinn

Posted by: Skipp Hughes (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2011 12:14PM

Dave
I live in Erie and I build a ton of rods on the RX 7 9' and 10' 7 WT Blanks.. I have a few guides using them and that seems to be all they ask for...

As far as the Blank Nagy recommended I have built 3 of them and while they are a good rod for Erie keep in mind not all fisherman will like them They are really whippy..... I even had one customer ask me to sell his after using it once...

The switch you mention I have myself and while it works well it is not at all necessary for Erie I hardly use it on the Erie streams anymore ....

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.htdinc.com)
Date: June 02, 2011 01:51PM

Dave,
An 8' 8 weight would be a good choice.
The short length provides better rod and fish control when fishing close.
The 8 weight turns over indicators well and throws streamers easily.
The Sage blue gill is a dandy but is a little pricey and I haven't found blanks yet.
For a less expensive alternative the Cabela's 8' 5 weight traditional handles an 8 weight line easily.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: June 02, 2011 02:11PM

I would say that an 8wt is way too heavy for the area. You will have a hard time protecting 4lb tippit and #16 hooks on an 8wt.

To each his own but I would use a 10" 6wt. I build and fish many switch rods and just do not see the need there. I would use a Batson 10 for 6 with a 6-7 wt nymph line or triangle taper. You will be fine for high stick nymphing, some swining and the like.

Best of luck,

Eric
"in steelhead alley"

Posted by: David McDonough (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 03, 2011 08:28PM

Thanks gentlemen for your thoughtful responses.

David

Posted by: Bob Hallowell (108.15.138.---)
Date: June 04, 2011 04:26PM

I built a meiser 11' 4/5wt switch for Erie and love it. Not much more than the batson blank.

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster