I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

excess rod bond?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2011 07:58PM

I guess i will put another topic on here, here it goes. Whenever I glue on the reel seat and the grips, there is always a mess of rod bond to clean up. Now I have tried to wipe it off with alcohol, and sometimes with just water using paper towles, but it is always a mess! especially where I don't wnat the rod bond, like on the rod itself where it is not needed, maybe I am applying to much, is there a way so that there is less a mess. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: excess rod bond?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2011 08:20PM

As the parts are brought into place, stop short and wipe off any excess before you seat them fully. That will keep you from getting RodBond on the outside of the rod where it could be troublesome to remove.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2011 09:07PM

very good advice, i would of never thought of that, Thanks! will try next rod build. Have a good one.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2011 10:09PM

Water wont work on epoxy! Alcohol will if you get it before it cures.. Follow tom's advice and you should have very little "mess".

Posted by: billy broderick (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 30, 2011 04:50AM

Good advice also get a tight fit of the parts when reaming. That will make the amount of rod bond you need minimal. Another good idea is to mask off the parts at the ends.

Posted by: Bob Caulkins (---.doc.wa.gov)
Date: May 30, 2011 10:08AM

Taking off the excess, and the use of masking tape really will really reduce the mess, and about the only other thing I would suggest is I like to use a toothpick to clean joints and seams of excess. Then after the bond has started to set up I will remove the tape, and use a dental pick to remove anything I may have missed the first time.

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-220-42.myvzw.com)
Date: May 30, 2011 11:09AM

Something I have done for many years and have never had a problem with any parts separating is: I dip a toothbrush in alcohol and while holding the components tightly I work the joints over with the toothbrush and alcohol. It cleans the joints very well. I then wipe the handle assembly down with a rag with a little alcohol on it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2011 11:35AM

Lorenzo,
Go all of your gluing in a well ventilated area. i.e. venting to the exterior, with a source of fresh air being brought into your gluing area.

When you look at diluent or solvents for epoxy finish - there are two chemicals that stand out.
1. Xylene
2. Acetone.

Both of these highly toxic chemicals if fumes are breathed- are very good solvents or diluent for epoxy finish.

Denatured alcohol is way down the list of doing any clean up with epoxy. If epoxy has not set up at all, alcohol will wipe it away. But if the finish has set at all, the alcohol just tends to smear it around and not remove it.

------------------
The post above are very good, and if you can follow them will help to ease your problems.

However, when I glue up a blank, and or arbor I want to be sure that I have epoxy on 100% of the interior of the arbor and or handle. As a result I tend to put a coating of epoxy well up the rod, Then, as I slide the arbor and or handle down the rod, with its smaller diameter, I can get the interior of the arbor and or handle well coated with epoxy.

As a result, I tend to have a significant amount of epoxy on the blank, above the handle and reel seat.

I just dip a paper towel in Xylene - in a well vented area that has fans going to the out of doors, and for long term use, wear a respirator to avoid chemical ingestion. The Xylene quickly wipes off any excess epoxy.

I also keep a few old tooth brushes in my brush holder to also dip in Xylene to clean up the residue from the sides of the reel seat area, or any grooves and or ridges in the handle reel seat, or front of the handle area.

Then, I do a final clean up with denatured alcohol, to wipe away residual Xylene that might have been left on the rod.

------------
p.s.
Some folks have posted comments about a material like Xylene affecting the finish of the rod blank.
My belief is that cured rod blank finish should be able to take the effects of xylene being wiped down the rod.
So, I always make a point, before starting a build to wipe down the blank from one end to the other with Xylene to completely clean the blank. If finish comes off with the Xylene, it comes off. I would rather have it come off the blank, BEFORE I start to do any work on it, than to get a rod finished, and delivered to a customer and then have it returned because the finish comes off of the blank when the customer is cleaning it or using it.

I believe that if the finish holds up to Xylene, it will hold up to any of the soaps and cleaners that might eventually be used on the rod to clean it in its life.

----------------
Again, if you are using any chemicals that are hazardous if the fumes are ingested, or hurtful if the chemicals are absorbed through your skin, take appropriate precautions.

Xylene is the right product to use for the job you are trying to do, but it should NEVER be used, if you are not using it in the right way or with the right skin and breathing precautions.

Always, always, be safe and enjoy.

Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 31, 2011 12:11AM

Like Douglas, I use a toothbrush dipped in denatured alcohol

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: May 31, 2011 02:08PM

Strong solvents like those mentioned when used to clean up expoy are the biggest contributor to developing allergic reactions.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2011 08:42PM

Russ,
I totally agree, and that is why I suggest using the appropriate safety measures. i.e. gloves, respirator super ventilation.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 01, 2011 11:28AM

paper towels and alcohol

and less the regular epoxy rod bond you don't need a lot and gives time to clean and adjust sets overnight

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2011 11:30AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster