I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish not hardening
Posted by: Victor Peterson (72.12.83.---)
Date: May 25, 2011 04:51PM

I put my second coat of flex coat epoxy (lite) yesterday morning,all the guide wraps came out fine but my butt wrap is still very tacky. It was all the same batch of epoxy. Does anybody have any ideas as to why this happened? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish not hardening
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 25, 2011 04:55PM

Where did you draw your finish from? My best guess is that your brush picked up some unmixed epoxy component from the side of a mixing cup.

Posted by: Larry Laurent (207.191.101.---)
Date: May 25, 2011 04:57PM

Did you mix 2 batches? One for the guides and one for the buttwrap? I always mix a minimum of 3 cc's of each hardener and resin no matter how small an amount I need.

Mix up another batch and put it over the tacky layer. It should harden fine.

Don't try to mix too little an amount, it leaves too much room for error when trying to mix equal parts.

Posted by: Victor Peterson (72.12.83.---)
Date: May 25, 2011 07:37PM

Larry, thanks for the info. Mixed just 1 batch. I think what Tom posted is what happen. I rotate the mix cup by hand until no more swirls, as I have always done, and the butt wrap was the last to be done. Some of the unmixed epoxy must of finally worked its way into the end of the batch.Thanks guys for the info.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2011 07:43PM

Next time take a metal stick or something similar, they sell a spatula set at Mudhole.com. its like 8 bucks. take one and just mix it slowly and it'll turn out perfect.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2011 12:58AM

Victor,
When mixing finish, I use a craft stick with a flattened end. I mix slowly to avoid bubbles, every 15 to 20 seconds, I wipe the stick off on the side of the cup, then scrape the scrapings back into the mix.
This insures that every part of the finish has been completely mixed.

Good luck and safe and hard wrappings.
Roger

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: May 26, 2011 01:23PM

I think that pouring the epoxy from the mixing cup onto foil keeps any unmixed epoxy from the sides of the cup from getting onto the rod.

Greg

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 26, 2011 01:42PM

I have never used the foil thingie but I take Popsicle sticks and break them in half. Check for Splinters. And when I mix I tilt the cup so as I am mixing I am scraping the side of the cup I also turn the cup as I mix. guess that helps

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 26, 2011 08:47PM

Bill,
I do the same thing, except that I use a chop saw to cuth the sticks in half, and then I use the belt sander to take the sharp corner off of the stick so that it doesn't poke through the cup when mixing.

Roger

Date: May 27, 2011 08:29AM

Gee I need some more tools Did not think it was necessary to use a Chop Saw And Belt sander for Popsicle sticks LOL

I just take my pliers and break them long wise
Guess I live in a cave LOL

O my light went out Got to go out and get more sticks for it LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 08:32AM by bill boettcher.

Date: May 27, 2011 11:54AM

Be safe Bill.
Roger

Date: May 27, 2011 06:26PM

Come on Roger I'm only kidding with ya

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard McCluskey (---.lncswi.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: June 01, 2011 09:15PM

For mixing finish I use a reloading scale. The result is exactly the same amount of resin and hardener.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster