I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

If I?
Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: May 24, 2011 10:55PM

If I was let's say advid bass fisherman and I'm interested in geting some new rods. I run into you at a local tackle store or even a gas station. What would be your words as to why I should look into or buy a custom rod?I'm one of those who shop the big department stores but I but the high end rods off the shelf.How would you sell yourself and your rods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If I?
Posted by: Chad Huderle (173.28.249.---)
Date: May 25, 2011 12:09AM

I would first ask what you believe is the most important aspect of a fishing rod. If your answer is price and I can't change your mind, then I would advise you to go ahead and keep buying from the big box stores.

However, if your answer had anything to do with such things as sensitivity, ergonomics, custom components or anything else that you can only get from a custom built rod then we can have a conversation. There are so many options that you can only get from a custom built rod that it would be hard to mention them all. But here goes...

Blanks - using information that you provide a custom builder can choose the exact blank that will meet your needs. If one does not exist another that is close can be lengthened or shortened.
Handles - You can have your choice of different styles of full grips, split grips, fore grips, no fore grips, etc.
Handle materials - cork, wood, carbon fiber, casting resin, EVA and others.
Guides - Zirconium, aluminum oxide and other types of rings. The guide styles and colors are endless but a good custom builder will recommend the right ones for your rod. Also available are micro guides which generally speaking are guides size 5 or smaller. These provide the advantage of even less weight at the end of the rod and this means more of the blanks sensitivity is retained.
Guide trains - With spinning rods you can get guide layouts that are spaced based upon the size of the reel spool you are using. If you search on this forum for the New Guide Concept you'll learn a lot about its advantages. With casting rods you have options such as the various types of spiral wraps. These make the casting rod stable as a spinning rod. You can search on this also for more specifics.
Personalization - Graphics are another area that give a custom builder an edge. If you want your name or anything else on the rod, it can be done. (Copyright laws should be observed)
Performance - By combining the right blank with the right size guides (not to big not to small but just right) and using the right guide train you can have the best rod possible built for your specific need.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 08:36AM by Chad Huderle.

Posted by: Dale Cecil (---.207-68.panhandle.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2011 12:09AM

If you buy from a good rod builder you will never fish a store bought rod again. I bet you spend top dollar for your reels right? Well they deserve to be fished with a top notch rod. Look at advid golfers they buy custom clubs. Why because the fit them not like store bought clubs. I am not the best builder there is but every customer I have ever sold a rod to has bought atleast two rods from me. Give one a try and I bet you never look back. Just my two cents worth!

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: May 25, 2011 06:37AM

I try to tell a person of all the benefits of a custom rod and that I can make a rod to his specifications and that person does not have to hope he can find one in the store. We can select what materials best suit the person for the rod they want. One thing though that Chad said holds true very much around here, if the person is more concerned over what he is paying for a rod, you will not get them to buy a custom rod most of the time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster