I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tennessee Handle Material / Panfish Setup
Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.130.52.---)
Date: May 24, 2011 07:52PM

I'm fairly new to rod building, with only a handful of rods under my belt. I recently built an panfish rod for my dad ACSJ781. He's already wanting another rod to add to his arsenal. I'm thinking a IP840 with a tennessee handle. What is the best material for a tennessee handle? Or any other suggestions for the setup?

Typically, I set a spinning rod up with a 25, 16, 10, (sometimes a 7or6), then the rest 5 or 4s. Would you recommend a different configuration?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tennessee Handle Material / Pan fish Setup
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2011 08:21PM

Jeremy,
Welcome to this wonderful thing that we all call rod building.

A handle grip may be made of any material you like.
EVA foam, Hapalon, Cardboard, plastic tubing, rubber, burled cork, natural cork, some type of wood, or carbon fiber.

All of these materials have been found on rods in the past from other builders.

If one were to pick one handle material that gives light weight, a nice look and a good rod - many many folks will choose natural cork.

If you want to save money, save money on installation and material , then the choice is EVA foam.

For either of these materials, there are ready made handles on the market that can be bored to match the taper and size of the rod blank slipped on the blank, gluing on with a 2 part epoxy as you do.

For a pan fish rod, with light line, you could likely drop the size 25 guide down to a size 20 leaving the rest of the guides the same.

Good luck and good fishing.
Roger

Re: Tennessee Handle Material / Panfish Setup
Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: May 24, 2011 08:48PM

Any real discussion has to take into acount what he is fishing for and how he is doing it...plus what reel will be used. The spin jig he already has will typically be faster in action and have a stronger tip than the same power rod in a popping blank. For ultra light pan fish don't overlook fly rod blanks.

There is a post below on Tenn handles that might help.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 24, 2011 09:38PM

I would suggest not dropping the #25 until you are sure what size reel you are going to be using.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2011 10:01PM

Jeremy,

The IP840 is a great blank choice. For the guide selection, if he will be using nail knot slip bobber stops, I would go with 5mm running guides. It's not something I do often, but I discovered the hard way that the bobber stop did not cast well through the 3mm guides on one of my panfish rods. I haven't tried 4s yet to see how they work, but I know the 5s pass the stops just fine. I really like a split Tennessee handle for my spinning rods.

Joe

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: May 25, 2011 06:32AM

Personally I like using the carbon fiber tubes for a Tenn handle. I really like the look and feel of the tubing and to me seems to feel lighter than anything else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster