I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

testing guide placement
Posted by: Patrick Marecic (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2011 03:47PM

I hate to be such a newbee, but you all have been so helpful so far, and I don't know of anyplace else to go for this type of info.

How do you temporarily secure your guides to the blank so that they can endure test casting? The two rods I have done so far, I have just used the little dental rubber bands for braces to loosely hold the guides before wrapping.

Thanks again for tolerating the total newb!

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he may never be home in time for dinner again!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: testing guide placement
Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2011 04:29PM

Those work pretty well, do a search on this site and you will come up with a ton of examples and what folks are using to hold there guides in place. The list is long and the ideas are great ! some work better than others ..find the one that works best for you ! I believe I even have a Pic post on some products I use to hold micros in place ! Let me look and see if I can find it ![www.rodbuilding.org]

OK I updated the pics with what I am using. These little critters are very elastic and strong. You can be very inventive on there use and tie them up any way you see fit to use them to hold your guides. There cheap and you can leave them on after testing and wrap from there and cut them off as you go ! I recommend clean hands as the oil from your hands will transfer and make them kinda slip out at times but for the most part they work for me ! Good luck ! Hope it helps !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 04:51PM by Rick Heil.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: May 24, 2011 06:37PM

Could be I'm doing something very wrong as I haven't had much luck. I have gone as far as to wrap double foot guides on the normal manner and just forego the epoxy. It was an 8 foot spiral wrapped rod casting 2 ounces. I ripped the guides of in 5 miniutes of test casting.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2011 06:38PM

I use the dental rubber bands for small diameter stuff and o-rings for larger rods. I have never been able to get tape to hold well enough even after cleaning the blank with DNA.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2011 06:40PM

Just cast lightly. You just want to see how the line flows through the guides. No need for power casts.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2011 07:38PM

Surgical tubing of different sizes cut into 1/8`` rubber bands or Gas line tubing from a remote control airplane, available from a hobby shop. Also cut into small pieces.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2011 08:25PM

I just use either 1/8th inch wide or 1/4 inch wide masking tape, the same thing that I use to hold the guides in place when wrapping. The tape will hold the guides just fine for test casting. I always make a point of securing the tip with hot melt glue - as if the rod were finished, and generally don't do anything different with it after test casting. The bulk of the force during test casting is on the tip and if the tip is secure, you generally don't have troubles with the other guides, unless it is a casting rod, with the guides on top. Then you are still all right, as long as you don't try to retrieve a very heavy weight or do a deep flex to bend the rod.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: David Aiello (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2011 09:23PM

I use 1/8th masking tape. I test all my guides and never had a problem. I can adjust by re-taping easy enough. No power casting or anything just lightly cast and wath the line through the guides not how far the line goes. I tried all those rubber bands etc. they maybe good for some people. For years the tape has not failed. Hope it helps.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 24, 2011 09:23PM

I use Bow Sight straightener tubing found in any Archery shop. Up in the tip area I use the dental rubber bands which are quite smaller and work better when using Micro guides.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 24, 2011 10:21PM

I use masking tape. I was having problems with the tape leaving a residue on the blank and guide foot. I don't build a lot of rods, and with my current situation, I was tapeing the guides, and testing the rod, and it might be a week or a month before I wrapped it. I started using the blue "painter's tape, and didn't have any more problems with the residue. Don't over think this. I can buy a 1" roll of "painters tape", tear off a 1 1/2" long piece, and cut it into 1/8 inch strips. I can tape a lot of guides, remove the tape, and reposition the guides for little or nothing as far as cost. My question is how many rod builders don't have a roll of tape on their bench?

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 24, 2011 10:57PM

I use fuel line tubing from hobby shops. Comes in various ID's and is inexpensive. A razor bblade, cutting board and a few feet of tubing and you can slice up a ton of bands. Roll a bunch on the blank and just slide the foot underneath. During the static test, just slides the guides to get the best line path. When wrapping, once the guide is secure, just nick with a razor and the fly off

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Patrick Marecic (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2011 09:35AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am just finishing a 2wt rod & the dental bands I have are just small enough to LOOSELY hold the guides on. I wouldn't even attempt to cast it. The bands were tighter on my 5 wt & probably would have worked. But it wasn't until I started reading THIS site that I even thought about test casting for optimal placement of guides. I just thought that the recommended size & placement was THE size & placement. I have a fair amount of hobby fuel line tubing lying around as my other big hobby is R/C planes, so I'll try that route.

Again, thank you all for the insight & I'll keep searching here for more.

P. Marecic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster