I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

duplicolor clear coat spray?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2011 01:43PM

I just coated my rod with the Duplicolor clear coat spray, all was going good, until on the last coat, I didn't realize that teh can was low, amd it spurtedout some clear and left like spots or like blotches of clear, what can i do to get them out? thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: duplicolor clear coat spray?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 23, 2011 01:50PM

Let dry for a few days and wet sand them out, 1500-2000 grit, then polish.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2011 01:56PM

Thanks, the polish is that like car polish, and should i wait till i wrap the guides first?

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2011 06:00PM

Let it dry a few days then wet sand it out with 1500 grit paper. Then recoat the clear with a fresh can .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Joe Azar (---.sub-174-252-193.myvzw.com)
Date: May 23, 2011 08:58PM

Definitely recoat after sanding. Polish or wax is temporary.
Look at a rod like a car. You wouldn't sand it before waxing. Sand before clearcoat.
Your new rod will be beautiful.

Always learning with
Ohio Rod Builders

Joe Azar

Posted by: Thomas Brown (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 23, 2011 11:07PM

Wax is temporary, Polish is not. Wet sanding, then polishing a car with machine polish is a normal procedure. It will actually give more gloss and a smoother finish than just spraying it. There is nothing wrong with wet sanding the specks out, then polishing the sanding dullness to a shine, but I could see you easily sanding through the clear and having to recoat anyway.

If you wish to attempt to polish the spit clear spots out, I say wet sand carefully with 2000, using equal pressure around the curvature of the blank. If you see your paint color in the sanding water, you just sanded through your clear coat. All you are trying to do is knock down the high spots. Then polish the blank with 3m machine polish. You could use some rubbing compound then the machine polish to speed up the process, but be carefull, it can be easy buff through the clear with rubbing compound.

If it doesn't work out, or you sand or buff through the clear, you could always clean the rod and recoat. BTW, polish before wrapping the guides, but clean the blank with alcohol before wrapping the guides. I'm not sure, but the polishing residue could effect the epoxy. The dullness from the sanding won't come back, they will have been "polished" away.

I have used this method for a scuffed up blank with success.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 11:13PM by Thomas Brown.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2011 11:33PM

That Duplicolor clear won't like to much sanding and buffing so be carefull. I would wet sand it flat and shoot it again.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 25, 2011 11:39PM

Don't be cheap next time get two cans

You should only need two coats

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster