I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Making my reamer by gluing some abrasive grit on a broken blank ...
Posted by: didier stephan (---.34.93.79.rev.sfr.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 03:15PM

Hello .

I have some broken rod , and sand paper too ( aluminium oxyde) and was ready .

But recently i discovered the abrasive grit ( silicon carbide ) from size 40 to 1200 ..And i am curious to know if there are some rodbuilder who use handmade reamers built this way ?
I guess epoxy is used to coat the grit on the tapered blank ?

This could make better files?( In fact, reamers with SIC would prove useful for other use other than cork and arbor.)

Thanks .

D.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making my reamer by gluing some abrasive grit on a broken blank ...
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2011 03:19PM

you can use epoxy, but i would use contact cement (weldwood)

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2011 03:36PM

Contact cement on both surfaces. Let sit for 15 minutes. Don't use the abrasive grit because it comes off too easy and will embed inside cork while reaming. Use the strip of aluminum oxide sanding belt leaving about 1/4 inch in between spirals. I did mine on 18" blank.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 03:46PM

Didier,
Flex Coat web site has an instructional video on how to make a reamer with emery cloth, sandpaper,etc
[www.flexcoat.com]
Good luck

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Date: May 21, 2011 03:47PM

Great video. I highly recommend it.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.22.---)
Date: May 21, 2011 05:03PM

A good reamer is worth its weight in gold. Practice making a few and you'll hit on one.

Date: May 21, 2011 05:06PM

The 2 that I made, I left the grip on. I don't chuck them in a so the rod grip really helps. If done right, they cut really fast and give you taper at the same time.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: May 21, 2011 05:16PM

I sent you an e-mail with a picture of mine.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2011 07:51PM

The abrasive grit can cost more than its worth. as Dave said the grits may come loose and hang up in the cork. When you dry fit you can scratch the heck out of the blank.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2011 05:49PM by Bill Eshelman.

Posted by: john glad (---.78.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2011 10:38PM

I wish I would have read this thread about 6 hrs. ago. I just made 2 reamers this afternoon using broken rods, 2 part epoxy, and 1/2 inch sandpaper strips, what a pain! next time I'll try the contact cement method, sounds much easier!

Date: May 21, 2011 10:49PM

The first one I made, I used epoxy and it was a mess. The second one was easy with cc. It works great.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 11:46PM

John,
Pretty simple, grab another piece of blank, make up a few more reamers with cc and sandpaper. No need to wait.

If you need a blank, you can always go to the salvation army, good will, or often your local sporting goods stores has a barrel to pitch in rods that are no longer wanted that can often be had for the simple asking.
Strip off the guides and you have the blank you need.

That is the wonderful thing about rod building. If you don't like it - do it over. If you don't like that one - do it over. If you don't like the 2nd one - do it over.

As the saying goes no shame in making a mistake. The only shame is leaving the mistake without a solved solution.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 22, 2011 01:29AM

You can use a belt sander belt to make the strips from. They have very sturdy backing. Cut it across the belt and then you can tear off a strip to glue to your rod piece.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: May 22, 2011 09:31AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

There is an article on this but I can't find it. I read it last week on here.

Kevin

Date: May 22, 2011 11:19AM

It's the article called "A new twist on an old tool" in the Library here.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 22, 2011 11:24AM

Didier

I made myself a set of reamers with the loose grit applied to rod blank sections. I used 2 part Devcon epoxy to coat the blank sections and then sprinkled the grit over the rod bond (you may also spread the grit on some newspaper and roll the grit on). I also have a set of dream reamers with the sandpaper strips in a spiral on them. I actually favor the grit style reamers over the dream reamers because they cut a little faster and get the job done a little faster. Either leave the handles on the blank sections or stick a cheap EVA foregrip on each and hand ream only!. I didn't rough up the blank sections before I applied the devcon, so now the epoxy is peeling off the reamers (I also started chucking them in a slow drill and think the heat produced weakened the epoxy). To get any loose grit out of the handle before sliding down the blank to fit, I pull a bottle/tubing brush through the handle to clean it out. Works great for me. I am going to rebuild my grit reamers with a little more attention to detail in the construction process. I also might try some Rod Bond instead of the Devcon. Give it a shot!

Rog

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 22, 2011 11:59AM

Clean them off or new scrap and go to Mud Hole for the strips. Have made several when I needed them and it cuts well Sand the scrap well I use about 150 grip

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2011 12:00PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: didier stephan (---.34.93.79.rev.sfr.net)
Date: May 22, 2011 05:32PM

Hello .

Thanks everybody .

Well , the scales are tipped on the side of sandpaper !
I would not want to leave loose grains !

So i will first do my reamer with sandpaper .That said, the abrasive grit might be useful however for other use( not rodbuilding) ...i can purchase half a pound for $6 i think...

D.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 22, 2011 06:07PM

Don't be fooled buy price and badly scratch a blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2011 06:34PM

Didier,

If you build a lot of the same blank, you could also do what the rod production companies do.
i.e. go to a machine shop and have them make you a steel reamer of the right length and dimensions.
The one time cost is high, but it will virtually never wear out.

For the production rod companies that make hundreds of rods per day, that is how they ream their handles.

They have the reamer in a press, so to speak, run the grip in and back and they are done. Total time about 2 seconds.
Of course, when they are using the same reamer for many many handles, the reamer cost per handle is very low.

Also, if you do some checking on the Internet and some of the @#$%& sites, you can often find reamers that are being sold by folks going out of the industry. You can often buy these reamers for only a few $$ each.

I have been able to do this for a fairly large selection of reamers and they care my tool of choice for opening up handles.

Good luck
REW

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster