I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss or Lumiseal or other uréthane to coat my wrap?
Posted by: didier stephan (---.34.93.79.rev.sfr.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 12:51PM

Hello .

Flexcoat lite is the finish i'm used to since a while ...
But to coat Micro guide , i'm thinking to use Permagloss ( it is going to be dicontinued ) , or Lumiseal or maybe a "marine bi-composant sparurethane" to get a low built.

-What'll happen when i need to replace a guide , wrapped with PG ? I mean , with Flexcoat , the thread and epoxy can be easily stripped .
I played sometime with polyurethane , and it is harder than epoxy ... Is it tricky to remove it from the blank ?

-Second question . I've seen some low built wrap (with PG) . The thread is only soaked with the finish .I guess there must be weight gain.
To finish Micro guide ( size 3 up to 4) is this a recommended solution? Or several additional layers would be preferable?

Thanks for your input ?

D.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss or Lumiseal or other uréthane to coat my wrap?
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2011 02:08PM

I have used Lumiseal on wraps and it does a fine job. You can build it up or leave just one coat. It's very glossy when dry.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 03:09PM

Didier,

You may want to do a search on our site about PG and Lumiseal, there is alot of information that is covered in your questions you have there and some update's on what is going on with U40 PG and its were abouts in the industry just for a heads up! Hope this helps !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 11:33PM

Didier,
If you use color preserver first, then the PG (and I assume Lumiseal, though I've never used it) will come off much easier, if you ever need to replace a guide.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster