I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fundamentals of guide placement
Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: May 20, 2011 08:14PM

I'm refurbing an eleven foot one piece fiberglass rod that will be used for sturgeon fishing from the bank on the Columbia River in Oregon. I don't know the make or model. They usually to cast eight to ten ounces of lead and distance is a premium. A Diawa casting reel will be used and I want to spiral. No shock leaders or knots will pass through guides.

I'm thinking this setup compares to East Coast surf casting, so my question is "What are the fundamental of guide placement?" Fewer guides and the butt guide will be farther from the reel seat? My rough placement thoughts are from the tip are 5", 11", 18", 26", 36", 48", 63". This places the butt guide 31" away from the reel seat. Does this seem like a reasonable starting point?

I hope to do my static test and test casting this weekend but want to find an intelligent starting point and make sure that I'm not missing something.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fundamentals of guide placement
Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 08:43PM

Mike, I'm sure some of the more experienced will chime in, but I'll give it a shot.

First the butt guide is located where, when the rod is fully loaded, it keeps the line off the grip and your hand. It may be 31", it may be right off the grip. I would start close and move it out.

For the remainder, I would glue up the tip, place the first runner 4.5" back, and the stripper close to the grip. Then load with those guides only until your stripper location is established. Then locate the first 180 from the stripper and load until the line contacts the bottom and loads the guide. Then place the bumper or transitions. Then place the runners. The bumper and first 180 may end up being smaller than the runners. Just be sure to tighten the drag and really load it good. Then test cast and readjust if necessary. Also check how the line lays on the reel (levelwind?). If not you may want to spiral in the direction of the hand on the foregrip so you only need to push the line.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 20, 2011 08:43PM

Try this for starters: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Heed the notion that heavy duty surf rods need fewer guides.

25 to 30 inches from the reel is not out of the question.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 11:33PM

I would set the guides up about what you have.
With the spiral - starting at the butt guide I would set the guides at 20 , 60, 120, 180 and 180 to the tip.

Tape the guides in place and do some loading test with the blank not deflected, 20 % 50%, 80% and 100%.

If the line tracks nicely, stays off the blank like you want, and reels evenly back onto the reel correctly, tie up the guides.

Otherwise, tweak both the position, and or spiral orientation as needed to achieve the desired results.

Many folks start with the butt guide at 0 degrees, but I have found to have much better luck with the butt guide deflected about 20 degrees in the direction of the spiral. This rotation typically allows for a more even load on the reel, when reeling the line back in.

But, if it doesn't work with your particular setup and blank and reel, modify it as needed.

Every blank, style, reel is slightly different. So, adjust as needed to get the perfect effects that you want.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: May 21, 2011 03:15PM

Thank you for all of your input. This man killer rod is way outside the parameters of all of my previous builds so I wanted to be sure I had all of my bases covered.

BTW, this rod is for a coworker/friend who said the rod was previously custom wrapped, I just didn't realize how custom! The grips were pipe insulation duct taped on. The reel seat is a good one. The guides were wrapped with what looked like 100lb Tuff Line. I have since sanded the blank down and took it to the auto body shop to have it painted a gun metal metallic gray. The rear grip is 30lb tarred seine cord and the fore grip is EVA. Now I'll work on the guides as time allows. I'm thinking the thread work will be a red, white and blue color theme and perhaps I'll do a couple of red, white, blue turkshead on the rear grip.

Thanks, again.

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 22, 2011 01:02PM

I always set the line up to have the straightest line path I can get

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: May 22, 2011 04:05PM

I mainly build surf rods here in the Northeast. Your original guide spacing looks excellent as a starting point

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster