I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

switch rod
Posted by: Bill Hartlage (---.sip.sdf.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 03:11PM

looking to build a 8wt switch rod for salt and steelhead rainshadow looks good . any info pro or con appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: switch rod
Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: May 20, 2011 04:27PM

Mr. Hartlage,
You should consider trying our Quickline FASW1108-4 (11' 8wt Switch). The full spec sheet can be downloaded on our website www.fishpacbay.com. Just click on the Quickline ad on the front page. Response to these blanks has been very positive.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 07:03PM

I suggest looking at Bob Meiser's web site. I plan to get one of his blanks for the surf. Eric Viburs is very happy with them.

You can get a blank; a kit or a "ready to wrap" package.

Also, Meiser's shop can set you up with a custom line for the rod. It's really critical to get the right line.

Nothing off the shelf can match a custom line.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 09:26AM

As you can see, there are a lot of choices out there. All are pretty good options.

The Rainshadow switch is a moderate fast rod, very capable for steelhead. We use them here for indicator fishing for winter steelhead, or can fit them with a spey line for 2-handed fishing. The 8 wt is a good size for steelhead and salt water fishing. You would be very happy with it.

Terry

Posted by: Ron Orga (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 01:38PM

Anglers Roost is another option. Reasonably priced equipment.

Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 02:35PM

I have two of the 8wt Rainshadow rods. I really like them. I use them mostly for Salmon River NY fishing for steelhead/browns and cohos. Not enough rod for kings but I have landed several of those as well.
I normally spey cast mine (not very well i might add). My river lines are a 6wt speydicator line and a 325gr skagit short.
I plan on putting a lot of time in this summer using it for beach and general saltwater use. Just picked up a switch line for that application.

I don't have anything to compare it to but I own about 15 traditional fly rods so I am not new to fly fishing just new to two handed rods. For about $130 for the entire kit, it is a great starting point.

On one of the two rods I used a Alps triangle reel seat which allows me to mount a spinning reel or a center pin reel in addition to a fly reel. That is my version of a "switch" rod.

Quinn

Posted by: Bill Hartlage (---.sip.sdf.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 22, 2011 07:07AM

thanks for input . I thought I had too many rods (@ 9) want to build a switch rod cause I don't have one and thought it would be good for salt water.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 22, 2011 11:43PM

They are fun.
An 8wt will need about a 450-500 gr line to load it properly (deep) to access the power in the butt. So make sure you can get the proper line. For my $ CTS' "new" model switch blank is the best on the market. I have a 10'6" #6, 11' # 8, 12' #10 and the 13'6" #11. If you intend to overhaead cast vs anchor-point, lines for some of the rods, especially the 13'6" rod are hard, if not impossible, to come by. So better investagate first.
Herb

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: May 23, 2011 01:20PM

The Rainshadow blanks are nice for the money. I have built and use the 5, 7 and 8wt rods. The 7wt being my fav for steelhead with a 375gn 20.2ft head. Meisers also ROCK! Can't go wrong either wat.

Eric

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.sttl.static.dslblast.com)
Date: May 24, 2011 03:03PM

IF1088
Rainshadow RX7 Switch Rod

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # IF1088-4M 10'8" 4pc 8wt Switch Rod Blank - Matte Clear
Butt cap: SWHDCCBC20F Switch Grip Hard Density Cork Composite Butt Cap with Flare
Reel Seat: RYSW-SG Y Fly Seat with Black Aluminum Insert with Butt Cap & Trim Ring - Shiney Gunsmoke
Reel Seat Shim: n/a
Rear Grip: SW325S-300 3.25" Rear Switch Grip Super Grade ID .300"
Fore Grip: SW1175S-300 11.75" Fore Switch Grip Super Grade ID .300"
Winding Check: LTCWC375 Lt TitCar Plated Winding Check .375" I.D.
Hookeeper: FHK-TC Folding Hook Keeper-Tich
Tip Top XTCFTL5.0 ALPS SS316-Titanium Carbide Pltd Fly Top Large Loop 5.0 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCSNGP ALPS SS316-Snake Guide - TICH w/o Chrome
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCLXNZG ALPS SS316-LXN Guide w/'Z' Ring - TiCh w/o chrome

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XTCSNGP3 4"
2nd XTCSNGP3 9.375"
3rd XTCSNGP3 15.5"
4th XTCSNGP3 22.75"
5th XTCSNGP4 31"
6th XTCSNGP4 40.5"
7th XTCSNGP5 51.25"
8th XTCSNGP5 63.75"
9th XTCLXNZG12 78"
10th XTCLXNZG16 94.25"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster