I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cutting tag ends with scissors
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 04:14PM

I was to lazy to look for it But I want to thank the guys on the discussion of cutting your thread with scissors I was using the one way of pulling it though and then opening the wrap and cut with razor blade I have done it with scissors before but got lazy

Now I put my pull loop in earlier and cut it before I pull it though

No more lighter to burn off thread nubs Guess i needed the kick in the ass

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cutting tag ends with scissors
Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 05:07PM

I
ve always had problems with pulling the tag end through and screwing it up. So now I do what i think explained. Put pull loop about 10 wraps cut main thread -thru loop and have the t ag end in one hand and pull loop in other. Now snug the tag end so it won't go under. Cut as close as possible. Now pull loop. Almost foolproof. lol

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 05:09PM

Bill,

That's how I've started doing it. Just be careful you don't cut your pull loop when you trim the tag end...that can be a pain in the butt too!!! LOL

jeremy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 06:02PM

Bill,
When pulling thread, it seems that when I pull thread, one type wrap works well and the wraps in the opposite direction don't work well.
I think it h as to with the way that the thread twists line up with the thread wraps.

A long time ago to solve this problem, I started using a pick to take care of the problem. I have a piece of 1/16th piano wire ground to a long slender needle sharp tip.

After completing the wrap, with the pull thread in place, I insert the pick into the loop of thread that needs to be pulled through the wrap. I then pull the thread pull until the end of the thread comes out of the wrap. Then, I grab the loose end of thread, while insuring that the thread loop stays taunt with no twists. Then, I pull the thread down to the pick leaving the tiny loop at the end of the pick. I pull the pick and then complete the pull.

The issue that I would have from time to time without the pick is that the thread loop would twist, and as I began to pull the thread through the wrap, I would began pulling twists through the wrap, until it would usually bind up and cause a rewrap.

When I wrap double footed guides, I find that it is only necessary to use the pick on the right guide wrap when I am looking at the guide foot. The right wrap tends to twist, but the left guide foot never twists. As I said before, I suspect that it is from the direction of the thread twists in the guide wrapping thread that is causing the issue.

I also wrap with my left hand which means that I typically wrap from right to left.

I think that most folks who are right handed tend to wrap from left to right and orient their wrapper in the opposite direction that I do. So, my guess is that for a right handed wrapper that wrapped only spinning rods, they would likely not have the same problem, since I don't have thread twists when coming from that direction.

If you look at most guide wrapping thread, you find that it has a right hand twist. I believe that it is the right hand twist that tends to cause my particular problem.

I have been in other fellows shop who wrap right handed and are wrapping spinning rods and they don't have the issue. But I do notice that if they wrap double footed guides that they tend to have the same issue on the opposite side of the guide foot that I do.

So, different solutions for different problems.

Take care

Roger

Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 08:45PM

Roger, turn the rod around and wrap from the same direction.

Date: May 20, 2011 11:36PM

John,

Thanks for the advice, but it is not going to happen.
For myself, with my left handed wrapping; I find that I just do a much better job of wrapping with the butt of the rod on the right side of me.

The pick to keep the loops straight works just fine and there are 0 issues with its use.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 09:49AM

Roger,

You've been doing this long enough to teach yourself to wrap both directions. Shame on you. :-)

If you use a pull-loop that is a little stiffer (I use 10lb p-line braided line in yellow) and keep your tag end a little shorter when you insert in the loop, it doesn't twist.

The method of inserting the loop earlier and not having a tag end to cut is a good method as well. I like to have a tag end to tug on and tighten everything up before I cut off so I tend not to do this, but I know it's just personal preference for me. I use fingernail clippers to cut the tag end and have very few issues.

To each his own!

Terry

Date: May 21, 2011 09:58AM

Terry,
I feel the same as you when it comes to tightening the tag ends of the thread. I like to be sure that all is tight and well with all of the wraps before clipping the tag end of the thread. I used the pull and bury in the past, but once in a while I would end up with a loose wrap that required a rewrap so I stopped doing it.

Again, with the use of very thin tipped fly tying scissors, tension on the thread, and a close nip, there is normally no tag end to worry about.

By the way, the only pull - loop that I have been using for the last couple of years is one make with yellow P-line braided line in yellow. I normally put a nice bright bead on the end of the pull - loop, so it is easy to see when it gets misplaced. The p-line is next to invisible with no bead on the line.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster