I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Not what I meant - Tiger flub
Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: May 19, 2011 05:33PM

Tried to get creative. Well, for a newbie, and make a tiger wrap with sulky shimmer wrap underneath flouro and black thread. Went with 15# flouro and black thread over the sulky, then ran my top layer of black and 2 sacraficials over it. Looks cool, like grassy green, but doesnt have much tiger effect at all.

Where did I go wrong?

Also, has anyone done any trials with 4 thread underwraps and 4 thread overwraps leaving 2 of the top threads in different colors? I wrapped an underwrap with 4 threads, white, pearl metallic, granite metallic and teal. Awesome underwrap and real cool pearl effect, but after wrapping the overwrap it just looked like hazy lines. No tiger.

too much for my own good or just need to tweak something?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Not what I meant - Tiger flub
Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2011 05:50PM

Isn't the shimmer thread really a thin flat ribbon? I don't think you could burnish it to get the effect you need. You need two "round threads wrapped side by side for it to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 05:51PM by Scott Armstrong.

Date: May 19, 2011 05:59PM

Yeah, it's flat. I was using it as a basewrap underneath the flouro and black. Are you saying I should have run another color side by side the flouro and black? That would make sense since the flouro vanishes under finish. I wanted the sulky to show through underneath the flouro and have the black create a tiger pattern over it. Sounds like I need another thread.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 19, 2011 06:04PM

What makes the tiger pattern is the bottom threads that you burnish around to make them more or less wavy. It isn't the top layer of thread that does that. The top layer, once you remove one of the threads gives a space for the bottom threads to show through.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 19, 2011 06:13PM

Try using white NCP thread instead of the black It should bring the color out and help it to pop

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 19, 2011 06:17PM

Bill, underwrap or overwrap?

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 19, 2011 07:32PM

Adam,

Have you read the article in the library on Tiger wraps? It will answer all of your questions. If you follow the directions, you will get the results you're after.

jeremy

Date: May 19, 2011 07:47PM

Jeremy,

Didnt know there was a library. Just saw the button. Thank you, I will read up.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (66.180.127.---)
Date: May 19, 2011 11:35PM

What you have done is mix two different wrap techniques. Tiger wraps don't use mono.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 09:56AM

Adam,

When I started building, I took a few days just to read the library and the glossary...lots of info!!!

Post some pic's when you're done.

jeremy

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2011 07:17PM

Adam,

I think I get what you are going for. It sounds like you want black and the holo shimmer color for your tiger. Give this a try:

1. The holo shimmer is a bit wide to use side by side with a regular thread, so go ahead and do a straight holo shimmer under wrap.
2. Wrap (with a little less tension than normal) black and a sacrificial thread over top of the holo.
3. Burnish the black and sacrificial to give some wave.
4. Remove the sacrificial thread.
5. Put 2 or 3 good coats of finish over the wrap.
6. Now wrap the top thread and sacrificial threads, being sure to keep them as straight as possible.
7. Remove the sacrificial threads and finish.

This should give the effect that you are looking for, but really making it pop requires that you have a good amount of contrast between the colors you are working with. Even if this isn't what you are going for, it should make for an interesting experiment.

Joe

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2011 10:04PM

Joe,

Pretty much what I did except I used flouro line next to the black on item 2.

Just makes black lines with holo behind. Cool, but not effect I was looking for.

Maybe needed to add another color next to the black/flouro part?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster