I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
who would of thought
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2011 04:59PM

Well, There I go again! You would think after 65 yrs i would learn to keep my big mouth shut!!!

A couple of weeks ago I gave a speech at a local sportsman club. Of course I was talking up custom rod builders and that we could do a theme rod on almost anything.

A lady that was doing some work in the adjacent room apparently was listening and called for a rod for her husbands birthday. She wants it in the theme of a horse of course.

I thought a decal would be nice and easy and she wasn`t that thrilled with that as he also is retired USAF and would like a decal of there insignia.

I thought I could inlay a little horse in the fore grip. I can`t really find what I`m looking for and at $4.00/gal the profits will be gone in no time so I am asking her to provide the horse.

My only other thought was to get some hair and bring it out of the rear grip. The problem there is I don`t have that much (just kidding ).

You guys came through with the bowling rod I hope you can help here

Now while typing all of this i might be able to find ear rings or key chain or something. but I will still take your ideas.

Thanks,

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: who would of thought
Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2011 05:05PM

Bill,
How about a minature saddle for a reel seat??

Just kidding I couldn't resist,
Dave

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 19, 2011 05:25PM

Bill:

Rawhide woven rope wrapped for the grips with a silver concho butt cap.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2011 05:35PM

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 19, 2011 05:57PM

Bill,
Golf ball marker embedded in the butt

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2011 06:16PM

I just saw some grips were Mark Blabaum used a router to carve out room for a metal pin to be inlayed into a grip. He then filled the void with polyester casting resin and then turned the blank into a grip. Maybe you can finda horse pin and give er a whirl.

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 19, 2011 06:24PM

THINK ABOUT IT -- WHAT MAKES YOU THINK ABOUT A HORSE

leather saddle Horse hair Horse hovers

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2011 06:42PM

bill, you can make a reel seat or other part by using a horse pin. i don't have it in front of me, but i have some examples posted under my pictures. the ones you will see are cast in resin and not epoxy...you can vary your background..it is an option to offer

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 19, 2011 06:46PM

There was a guy at the ICRBE a few years back that had hat pins . All animals and fish the perfect size for inlays. I have a bunch of fish from him .I will see if I have his contact info.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2011 06:49PM

I like the pin idea. You could inlay a horse or similar pin into the grip, butt, or reel seat.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: May 19, 2011 07:10PM

Bill B.

What makes me think of a horse?

My junior English teacher.

Sorry, I thought it was funny.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Joe Azar (---.sub-174-252-215.myvzw.com)
Date: May 19, 2011 09:53PM

Hey Bill,

See if she will get you some hair from the tail of his favorite horse. Assuming they are horse owners.
Use the hair for trim bands on the guides and/or a decorative cross wrap.
I know a number of horsemen, and feel that they would love that.
Horse hair lasts forever and is not adversely affected by the sun.
If she can get enough, use a little super glue and you will have a full head of hair.

Always learning with
Ohio Rod Builders

Joe Azar

Posted by: billy broderick (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 19, 2011 10:07PM

If it were me i would search for a hat pin of a hoarse shoe. Seems like that would be easy to inlay and its a universal hoarse sign just make sure its pointed the right way so it imparts luck into the fishing.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2011 10:36PM

Bill, have you thought about doing a weave? I would be willing to help if it's something you want to do. I don't mind. Give me a ring if you want to do something like that.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Daniel Glenn Eason (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 03:29AM

personally i would search google for a bicolor abstract of a horse. not quite like a mustang symbol but along the line. in laying that into the rear grip would fit the perfectly i.m.o. using tan as a dominant color with browns and maybe a small amount of med orange ad compliment colors. i will try to come up with somethin 4 ya, will edit my post with a pic of what popped into my head

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 07:43AM

Thanks Jim, Good idea

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 07:51AM

maybe this can help: [www.google.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2011 11:43AM

My Dad owned a horse which won a race up in Saratoga several years ago. I made this inlay to match the color of the jockey silks and coloration of the horse. I inlayed it and when I sanded the grip down, went right though the inlay, like 10 hours wasted. [northeastrodbuilders.com]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2011 12:13PM

Google Mobil-Texaco flying red horse logo. Maybe someone has some decals or other representations of this old logo which you could incorporate into the finished rod to keep your customer satisfied - unless the "red" is a deal-breaker.

Date: May 20, 2011 07:37PM

Thank you Guys, I knew you would come through like that.

There was only one bad suggestion, and I`m not surprised where it came from.

Joe Azar, Guess who I`m talking about, Yeah, thats right, YOU!! I AM NOT GOING TO SUPER GLUE ANY HAIR TO MY HEAD!!! LMBO

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster