I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod tip top sizes
Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.bfcz1.lon.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 17, 2011 06:57AM

Are fly rod tips measure the same way as say spin rod tip top. I measured the tip use a tip top measuring tool which I got from mudhole. Its say that 4.0 or 4.5 is good fit. Does this sound about right for a 5wt. 9ft.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod tip top sizes
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2011 07:49AM

Bill,
Tubes for fly rod tip tops are measured the same way as any other tip top. Make sure that you're taking the measurement about a half an inch (13mm) down from the end of the tip. 4 or 4.5 seem about right for a 5 weight, but only you can tell for sure. It could be a 5.0...all depends on the design, and the final sanding done by the manufacturer. Trust your measurement. In the future, whne ordering, you can ask Mudhole, or any other supplier, to check the fit of tip top before shipping.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 07:49AM by George Forster.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 17, 2011 07:54AM

if you measure then prep the blank it will or should fit. Also if you get one loose you can wrap some A thread to take up any slack

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 07:57AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.sgs.immi.gov.au)
Date: May 17, 2011 06:07PM

Thanks lads,

dont suppose anyone knows what the thread colour is for this rod. Ive contacted Sage but Im still waiting for a reply. I need to order the threads as soon as possible.

Cheers

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 17, 2011 11:30PM

What is the rod? Sage what? If Sage Z axis they used Gudebrod #360

Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.bfcz1.lon.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 18, 2011 06:29AM

Sorry i forgot to mention the rod. Its a Sage RPL 590-4 Graphite III. Just got email from Sage and they inform me that they use
thread color : GUD 541A (med brown)
trim color : GUD 541 A NCP (med brown)

Just in case some else is need to know.

Cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster