I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

problem with Mudhole CRB handle kit...
Posted by: Lucas Schmiedendorf (---.su.shawcable.net)
Date: May 16, 2011 02:41PM

Hello folks...Long time lurker, first time poster! I have been fortunate enough to build 6 years now and feel a little better with each project.

Recently however, a friend of mine ordered an MHX rod kit from mudhole and I believe they shipped cork and reel seat that do not match properly.

Typically, it seems the OD of the reel seat and fore grip are comparable while the threaded section of the reel seat fits over the little "stub" of cork on the top of the reel seat.

This latest kit came with a reel seat that fits well with the foregrip, but is significantly smaller than the rear grip, so much so that the OD of the reel seat is actually SMALLER than the stub of cork it usually fits over top of.

My friend has tried to email mudhole to rectify the problem but they emailed him back to say that the difference in size was "normal"... I don't find this to be normal. What do you guys think?

Do you folks this cork handle looks normal?

The last few months every order has been delayed for a backorder, had pieces missing etc, and now they are saying that a reel seat is supposed to look like this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2011 02:41PM by Lucas Schmiedendorf.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: problem with Mudhole CRB handle kit...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2011 02:50PM

Maybe. Rod "kits" aren't exactly plastic model kits - it's expected that some sizing may have to be done and it's not very hard to do. In fact, you could just cut off that "stub" and butt the seat up against the cork. That shoulder doesn't really do anything for you anyway.

Being that you are a third party, we may not be getting the full story. Have your friend email them the same photo you've posted here and then see what they have to say.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2011 02:51PM

That looks to me like that part of the handle is where the butt cap goes, like it's upside down. I can't tell because the whole rear grip is not showing in the picture. In a kit I did years ago from Pac Bay, the rear grip was larger, but the recessed area of the grip went toward the bottom. Maybe if you could post a picture of the whole rear grip it would help.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Billy Vivona (12.69.234.---)
Date: May 16, 2011 02:54PM

Is it possible th egrip is upside down, and that small tenon is supposed to fit teh butt cap? Backorders are a fact of life in this industry, and it's at all levels, not just the supplier, it might be the Manu or importer cannot get product.

Posted by: john backos (170.28.136.---)
Date: May 16, 2011 03:02PM

Difficult to determine without a full photo. Also, what would be helpful would be the ID of the reel seat, and the OD of the cork tenon. Finally, did Mudhole see the full picture? If mudhole has the same info that we do, you would not get a correct resolution. Generally, taking this type of issue public without a full examination is not cool, IMO.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: May 16, 2011 03:03PM

PIcture on Mudhole for the rod kit does not show a tenon on the rear grip at all. I would say just cut it off and glue up the handle.

Date: May 16, 2011 03:04PM

the grip is definitely not upside down. there is a separate "tenon" with a fitted butt cap that only fits on one side so it's quite foolproof. this photo has been emailed to mudhole but it just doesn't look right to me. perhaps cutting this piece off isn't a problem, but my reason for seeking clarification is that this has never been a necessity in 6 previous projects with kit handles.

Date: May 16, 2011 03:10PM

john backos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Generally, taking this type of issue
> public without a full examination is not cool,
> IMO.

Hey John. I'm just a beginner looking for help. Sorry to offend.

Date: May 16, 2011 03:14PM

john backos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
. Also,what would be helpful would be the ID of the reel
> seat, and the OD of the cork tenon.

OD of the cork tenon = 23.0 mm
ID of the reel seat = 17.0 mm

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2011 03:24PM

Hello Lucas -- Not sure by the wording of you original message, of whether you ordered the handle kit or your friend did? I did look at our system and saw where you ordered a MHSK-20 kit back in April. If we are talking about the same rod building kit, the MHSK-20 has a HKS-3 handle kit. If that is what we a speaking of, the recessed tenon on the grip is for the butt cap to fit on and the front of the grip fits flush to the reel seat. If for some reason, what you have does not appear to be as I described, contact me directly, either by e-mail - bobm@mudhole.com - or you can call me directly via our toll free number at - 866-790-7637 and my direct extension is 114. I will gladly help assist you.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: May 16, 2011 03:26PM

thanks bob. this piece was ordered by my friend. i will contact you directly.

Date: May 16, 2011 04:55PM

Thanks to Bob at Mudhole. It would seem that the double tenon`d grips are in fact for casting rod applications, not spinning rods hence the discrepancy in fit. Thanks to all who attempted to help as well.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 16, 2011 07:25PM

My guess is , that rear grip would fit right in a casting seat.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: David Aiello (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2011 12:14AM

It looks Like u have the cork handle upside down where the butt cap goes. The reel seats looks right. I have done many MHX rods and just finished 2 Drop Shot rods. I had now problem. It does look like its upside down. Hope this helped. I also usually install a colored ring in between the seat and grip to break it up and it looks good.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 17, 2011 08:06AM

sand it down and make it fit You can use a drill for this

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: May 17, 2011 05:24PM

casting grip. knock it off and sand smooth.

Make sure to check grip length though. Might be different reel seat placement for casting vs. spinning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster