I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Swampland Fully Exposed Reel Seats
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 13, 2011 01:05PM

Product Upgrade - Castaway Casting Fully Exposed Reel Seats.

The original seat, referred to in this post as the OLD SEAT, can be viewed by clicking on this link:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The seats pictured were manufactured in an overseas plant. This fully exposed seat design is preferred by many bass and inshore angler. This seat design is preferred by those using split seats with no arbor requirement.

Castaway's Fully Exposed Reel seat, referred to in this post the "NEW SEAT", manufactured in the United States includes many improvements.

a. Higher material density - improved sensitivity
b. Extended threads on barrel - improved reel security
c. Drilled bore - no mold release agent present to interferer with bond
d. No mold lines on seat external - looks better
e. Textured Flat Black Surface - non slip

The NEW SEAT is approximately 1/2 size smaller internal diameter than the OLD SEAT. This means that if you previously used a size 12.0 OLD SEAT the proper NEW SEAT size is 12.5.

All sizes of the NEW SEATS will be available for order within seven days.

Use the Contact Us Link on the left border of the Swampland Web Site for sizing information.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Swampland Fully Exposed Reel Seats
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2011 02:29PM

bill, playing devils advocate..
1- higher density--is it heavier?
2-longer threads for reel security--more material to cut off
3-textures surface--now i can't paint them?
4- bores not properly sized?

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 13, 2011 02:31PM

I'm thinking more female threads in hood?

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: May 13, 2011 02:58PM

I have been using them for a while, in fact I was cutting some up last night. They are definitely tough, I do quite a bit of grinding and shaping on reel seats and these take some work, but that should make them more durable in use. Notice about the drilled bore, which means no draft on the bore to match up with a tapered blank. I recommend getting a smaller size and reaming to final size for the best possible fit.

Bill how small do these go down to? I only have down to a size 11 and I need some smaller ones for a few blanks I have, if they are drilling the center hole they should be able to go pretty small.

Date: May 13, 2011 04:56PM

John:

bill, playing devils advocate..

1- higher density--is it heavier? Yes

2-longer threads for reel security--more material to cut off Same cut off length - same length - about two full additional threads added to insure lock up.

3-textures surface--now i can't paint them? They will be easire to paint- textured may be a bad choice of words - Mike H. how would you describe the surface.

4- bores not properly sized? The comment had to do with a drilled hole versus a mold aroung a tool - the drill hole will have no mold release agent - silicone present.

Mike i have 9.5 and the order lists 9.0.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: May 13, 2011 06:55PM

Made in America - that's a GOOD thing!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2011 05:10PM

Steve;
Playing devils advocate

“a. Higher material density - improved sensitivity”
Have used American Tackle ESC seats (even though heavier) for years, for this very reason. But have had to do a lot of work on them to remove extra material in the middle for increased finger contact to blank, and seam marks for comfort, also harder to work with because of the denser material.
So; providing a denser material with improved sensitivity and more room for finger contact to blank that means less work. SIGN ME UP!

“e. Textured Flat Black Surface - non slip”
By the time I get done grinding and working on a seat to remove those annoying seam marks, it has a textured (buffed) finish anyway SIGN ME UP1

“b. Extended threads on barrel - improved reel security “
Already cut extra threads off of every seat installed. Could care less about a couple of extra threads to remove. SIGN ME UP!

“c. Drilled bore - no mold release agent present to interferer with bond.”
Means not having to fill in the gap from the oval mold hole at the finger grip of the old Castaway seats, resulting in less work and better fit and finish. SIGN ME UP

Having the bore size slightly off; a small sacrifice to pay for less work. SIGN ME UP!

“Made in America - that's a GOOD thing!”
SIGN ME UP!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 15, 2011 05:56PM

Steve,

Welcome aboard!

Already signed up. :-)

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 15, 2011 10:00PM

Bill , extended threads on barrel. Hopefully the more threads will not be added to the end thats usually cut off any way, but if the barrel is made shorter and threads added I can get a reel to tighten up and stay put.

Date: May 16, 2011 11:12AM

Mike the existing problem was fixed.

I will even hold a reel on the Scrape Beast Special!

I sure would like to know if you customer thinks that thing is heavy enough?

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: May 16, 2011 12:23PM

Do Pfluegers and Bass Pro reels wiggle in the seats like on the full version?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.sub-174-253-153.myvzw.com)
Date: May 16, 2011 12:34PM

And Revo?

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: May 16, 2011 03:06PM

I use Bass Pro reels, which of course are the same as Pflueger, Revo, Browning, Pinnacle, Lews, and probably a few more. Unfortunately I can’t help on the fit since I always split the seats and glue them up using a reel as a spacer so they always fit perfect.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster