I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gunk
Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.22.---)
Date: May 13, 2011 10:11AM

A little off-topic but thought someone might have an idea. Do any of you make your own 'dry fly dressing'? Some home-made concoction that can be put on dry flies to help them float. I seem to go thru a lot of the store-bought stuff and it is expensive and sometimes hard to find in my area. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gunk
Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: May 13, 2011 11:07PM

Steve Cox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A little off-topic but thought someone might have an idea. Do any of you make your own 'dry fly
> dressing'? Some home-made concoction that can be put on dry flies to help them float. I seem to go
> thru a lot of the store-bought stuff and it is expensive and sometimes hard to find in my area.
I've been using a White Gas and Paraffin Wax concoction for years. Just shave off some of the wax in a jar
and add the fuel and let it melt.

On cold days it will look just like wax as it hardens but a few minutes in my pocket and it's liquid again.

Don't have access to White Gas you can substitute White gas with Coleman fuel or naptha as they are
the same thing.

Re: Gunk
Posted by: Mark Boggs (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: May 15, 2011 01:31PM

Ron, my dad has been a fly fishing guide in Western Oregon's McKenzie River area for 35 years. A trick I learned from him is to use Albolene cream. It's a facial cleansing cream found in the make-up section of any grocery/department store. It works best if mixed, in a small glass bottle, with some liquid lighter fluid. The cream provides the floatant. The lighter fluid is simply a medium which suspends it for ease of application. It should be fairly cloudy but thin enough to actually submerge the fly. Remove it and shake the excess back into the bottle. Blow on it a bit to restore the hackles to a natural look. The lighter fluid evaporates quickly leaving a fly that floats nicely. Of course, after catching a fish, the fly should be cleaned well, dried and re-treated. I've got a large container of Albolene that I've been working on for fifteen years. It lasts forever and is much less expensive than commercial products. Hope this helps.

Mark Boggs

Springfield, OR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster