I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sage fly rod - guide repair - thread matching
Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.bfcz1.lon.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 13, 2011 03:56AM

Hi all,

Not sure if i should be asking this question until i have the rod in my hands but here goes anyway.
Customer (tackle shop) alled asking to have if he can have a few guide and the tip added to a new top section which was replace by Sage.
I dont know the model of the rod as yet but is there anyway to get the exact thread colour to match the other guides. Does sage have some kind of listing of threads used for ceratin models or do I just eye ball the existing thread for a possible match. I dont have a huge selection of thread so Im stressing a little that I might not be able to match the thread colour.

Bear in mind that this my first ever customer that is not a friend or a pal so need to make sure Ive done my best to match the new guides bindings with the originals. Mind you, the tackle shop posting the rod from one State to another. Dont ask why but I was happy to do it.

I generally do light and heavy spin rods and never really tackled a fly rod before but I guess the principals are the same just slightly different components

Just another question if may. Do fly rod tips top expoxied over any binding or are they generally just glued in.?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 09:09AM by Bill Jovanovski.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sage fly rod - guide repair - thread matching
Posted by: billy broderick (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 13, 2011 05:08AM

Bill
Easy just wait till the rod arrives. When it does you need to note the model number. Then just call Sage. They will be more then happy to share with you the guide they use and the thread color. They are glad they dont have to do it for free. Good luck with your new business dont expect to ever get rich but it will pay extra cash if your good. Billy

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: May 13, 2011 05:29AM

follow billy's advice. they've offered similar help in the past to me.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: May 13, 2011 08:31AM

Thank Bill,

It is reassuring that I can get assistance from Sage.

I'll wait for the rod to arrive and then I'll get in contact with sage. If I do a good repair job with this rod Im likely to score more job even though the angling shop is some 750km away. Lucky for me our trout season is nearly over so Im guessing he wont be in too much of hurry to get his rod back.

Cheers for the advice. I feel less stressed now knowing that sage will be able to assist.

Have a good weekend.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2011 11:43AM

If the rod is a Z axis model (Olive green blank) the thread is Gudebrod #340. I have done a number of repairs on this model and got the thread info from Sage.

Date: May 14, 2011 03:31AM

Thanks Phil. I cant recall if it was a Z series. I'll know in a few days when it arrives.

Date: May 17, 2011 02:58AM

Hi all again,

Just received the rod and the series is Sage RPL 590-4 Graphite III . Main guide thread looks like a maroon colour with gold or silver trims.

Can some please help with guide spacing, No of guides needed and sizes for top section only. I'll need to order them asap along with threads.

Im assuming that there are 5 guides for the top section comprising of 4 size 1's and No 5 in size 2. Im going by a similar sage rod in lenght and line wt. The VPS 590- 4.

Thanks

I have uploaded a photo of the rod.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 05:37AM by Bill Jovanovski.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster