I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Top : Wrapping a single guide ?
Posted by: didier stephan (---.34.93-79.rev.gaoland.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 03:42PM

Hello .

I know some have tried it .

I have Fuji micro in size 3 , and i would like to give a try with this option .
It's for a spinning blank , MHX CB845 with top size 5" . ( Micro guide Fuji size3, using braid up to 10LB , no leader )

I think a T-KTSG size 3.5 has a too short foot .So i am looking for a small single guide with a longer foot .
Maybe with the LSG serie , foot is longer ?
Or with an other brand ? NIRLMG TITAN RingLockâ„¢ Micro Guides size 3 or 4 ?

What is the opinion of users?
I'm also very curious to see the results. ( maybe in the gallerie ?)
I have not yet done one, but by placing a ring on the top, it's hard to believe that it will not cause problems ...

Thank for your input .

D.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Top : Wrapping a single guide ?
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 12, 2011 04:11PM

Didier - I have done it with three of my personal rods. I use these rods for testing and demos for customers to use. This was back a few years when the Batson 3mm were the first ones I could get my hands on. These have a very short foot. I had no problems at all, except that every person that looked at the rods thought they were broken off at the tip. So, when 4mm braced tip tops became available I changed them all out. You can see one in the upper right of this photo - [www.rodbuilding.org]

I had no trouble with the Batson 3mm, but the Fuji 4J has a longer foot, as do the American Tackle micros.

Chuck

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 05:22PM

American Tackle

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 05:52PM

I’ve been wrapping single foots for tip-tops for several years. Almost all TLSG or LSG 3.5’s. I have also done a couple of Batson 2’s. Never had an issue of any kind and I actually prefer the cleaner looks over a conventional tip-top. The weight advantage is significant also. Lately, I’ve been bending the frame forward slightly and applying a bead of epoxy at the blank tip up to the ring which tends to streamline the looks. Might even provide slight reinforcement.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 09:42PM

Didier,
I have done the single foot guide for a tip on a few rods.
In every case, the rod has come back with the tip bent up or the ring broken off.

Since then, I have resisted from tying up another single foot guide for a tip and use only braced guides.

The average rod tip gets lots of wear and tear and potential abuse both from use, as well as transit in and out of rod boxes, doors and cabinets.

I suspect that most of the tips were damaged during storage attempts or transport - rather than during actual use.

I am sure, that from a use standpoint, no issue at all with the use of a single foot guide. It is the issue of transport.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: May 13, 2011 11:31AM

I have done a bunch of rods with a micro guide wrapped on for a tip. In every case the rod performed terrible, and I ended up replacing it with a proper tip. Maybe a K series guide could work since they are kind of tall and angled forward, which is why I believe the tip outperforms a micro guide in this application. I believe that the guides are so close to the blank and too vertical, this causes rub as the line goes out. In every case where I have cut off a micro guide and replaced it with a tip the rod has been transformed from poor casting to excellent. Now there are very nice micro tips from Kigan and American Tackle so why go to the trouble when you won’t be happy with the results.

Posted by: Mo Yang (119.97.240.---)
Date: May 13, 2011 12:43PM

Interesting to hear of negative feedback. This is the ONLY way I do my tip tops and have never a problem nor poor performance. It casts just as well as other custom rods and further than some. Of course, my line is 2-4 lbs mono and I use fuji 3.5 on the tip guide. I like the weight saving and crispness. Never had a guide bend or break off either but that's because I extend the tip beyond the guide. It makes a lot of sense and it protects the rod and guide - far berter than traditional tip top.

Mo

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2011 12:48PM

Mo,
You have indicated that this is the only way that you have done your tops.
You further indicated that your rods performed fine.

But, have you ever actually tried putting a conventional tip on a rod to see how the rod would perform.

Since you indicated that this is the only way that you have built micro rods, you might find that your great performing rods would turn into super great performing rods with a conventional tip.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: May 13, 2011 01:48PM

I've been wrapping micro fly guides as a tip on my spinning rods for a couple of years now. First I started with 3.5mm, but found that it pinched 10 - 12lb. mono when there was more than a 90 degree angle in the line, so I went to a 4.5mm fly guide for tops. That cured that problem.

It does look like a broken rod... unless you match all the colors, such as black guide, black thread, black painted rod tip... and I also let the guide hang over the tip of the blank, and wrap only the first half of the guide foot. I have had one guide come out like this... but it was wrapped with thinner 00 silk thread.... and I may have had too much overhang. I replaced it with "A" nylon, so we'll see how that holds up.

Next, I will have to try a conventional top and compare.

Pac Bay also has some new ceramic micro fly guides.

Incidentally, I put a new 6.3 oz. Patriarch Spinning reel on a micro rod last week... when there was no wind and it was very quiet, I actually heard the rod vibrate/move when I got a bite (senko). I've never experienced sensitivity like that before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 01:49PM by Gary Snyder.

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: May 13, 2011 03:00PM

I thought they were fine too until I changed out a few, then I saw the difference.

Posted by: Leigh Englehart (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2011 06:52PM

i have a lot of rods with guides for tips and i like it. i believe the bending problem comes from putting the lure/hook on the hook keeper and spinning the reel handle with a little too much umph. pulling straight back on the guide and bending it. i recently put one on a 30# cobia rod to see if it would hold and it bent pretty quickly. caught a 50# cobia on it and it held fine. but the additional drag was pulling on that tip pretty hard and it broke in less than a month. all the other rods i have it on are 8# inshore rods and i preffer it to tip tops. i noticied the bending less with the 3.5s and think the titanium k series seem to hold better being bent forward a bit. i never worried about the lenght of the foot. the problem is bending back and forth and any metal doesn't like that. i try not to think things don't "look right". keeps me in a box.

Posted by: didier stephan (---.34.93.79.rev.sfr.net)
Date: May 17, 2011 05:43PM

Hello .

Thank you to you tenfold.

Thus,i understand that it is possible. It suffices to know the limits.
->Beeing careful with storage.
-> When putting the lure on the hook keeper , too.
-> Choosing guide not to vertical , to avoid line rubbing .
-> Prefering a Titanium frame .

I must get some T-LSG#3,5 , NIRLMG TITAN RingLockâ„¢ Micro Guides size 3 or 4 etc ...and make my mind too. But in case of emergency , micro tip top will be in my tackle box , too !

Here is a video to explain that I wonder how behaves the braid with movements as fast (and tiring )? ( It is named wind / windo )
[www.oz-tackle.jp]

Now i am relatively confident with the strength of a single guide. But are wind knot an issue ?

Thanks .

D.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster