I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning rod grip - with or without fore grip??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2011 11:45PM

For years and years, spinning rods have conventionally been built with a fore grip of various lengths.
If the spinning rod is being used for "heavy" fishing - such that a person needs to have a hand in front of a reel, I can see that it makes sense to have a fore grip on the spinning reel.

But for ultra light up to standard heavy action spinning rods, any reason to use fore grips on the rods.

I know that more and more folks like to keep a finger on the blank. With no fore grip, no issue to keep in contact with the blank.

Some reel seats are more likely to be used for a no fore grip design, but in actuality, is there really any reason to put a fore grip on any spinning reel seat rod where the rod and fish catching does not require a hand in front of the rod to help lift the fish?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The reason that I am asking this, is that I am getting ready for a fairly large build of a fixed style spinning rod, and if not necessary to use a fore grip, would just as soon build without the fore grip.

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning rod grip - with or without fore grip??
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 12, 2011 02:10AM

Hi Roger,
For me personally I've got fairly big hands and I prefer spinning rods with long, large diameter foregrips. Hanging on to a blank when fighting a fish just doesn't feel right to me with any type of rod. A finger on the line tells me what's happening, especially with braid. Hanging onto the reelstem, even those with so called bio grips gives me a sore hand after a short period so I don't do it very often. I think the end user should dictate what is most suitable for them and that should dictate how the rod is built. To each his own.

ESFNEM Col

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 06:47AM

Roger,

This sounds like something that your customer needs to answer for you. It depends on where their hand placement is. I build my spinning rods in two ways: First, if the customer likes to grip the reel seat, I like to use an NPS style seat with no fore or rear grips, just a fighting butt. I install the seat uplocking. If the customer likes to grip the rod in front of the reel, my personal preference, I build using a traditional style seat with a short (1" or so) foregrip. I'd be afraid to build without a foregrip I wasn't sure of the customer's preferences.

jeremy

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: May 12, 2011 07:28AM

I don't build any of my personal spin rods with a fore grip.

I've got spin rods rated down to 1/64 and spin rods up to 1 1/2 ounces.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 12, 2011 07:58AM

Roger, can you elaborate on the specifics of "a fairly large build of a fixed style spinning rod"? Maybe then we could help you decide if you need a fore grip or not.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 08:51AM

Personally, I'm too lazy to ream and install grips that I don't use. I don't put them on my rods, spinning or casting.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: May 12, 2011 11:51AM

No foregrips for me either but this is a personal preference. I never use one so I just build without them on both cast and spinning including "Tennessee" grips.

Date: May 12, 2011 12:23PM

Thanks for the thoughts folks. Your thoughts have confirmed my own.
Since these are going to be for rods where the largest fish will likely be less than 10 lbs, and no need or desire t have a hand on the fore grip, the rods will go without.
For this style blank, I just use a 1/2 inch cork arbor af the front of the poly arbor and finish the cork flush with the reel seat. Then a metallic wrap at the front of the cork and the wrap is good to go.

Thanks again.
Roger

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 12:58PM

I always use a fore grip. How do you dress up the end of the reel seat. Does anyone have a picture of a finished rod without a fore grip.

Thanks

John

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 12, 2011 01:04PM

John,

Look on the Photo Page and you will see lots of them. Lot's of ways to dress them up! Ramps are probably the most popular. Also winding checks of various materials, I often use 1/2" thick acrylic or wood "foregrips".

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 01:30PM

Thanks. Very nice!

Date: May 12, 2011 01:33PM

John,
As I stated in my post. When I use an arbor for the center of the reel seat, I use the poly style arbor. But, I also use a short section of natural cork !/2 inch thick - that has been brought down to the size of the inside of the reel seat. Then, when gluing the reel seat and poly arbor in place, I also glue the cork arbor in at the same time. I leave the cork arbor flush with the front of the reel seat. Then, I use a simple metallic wrap at the front edge of the cork arbor as part of my butt wrap to finish off the reel seat. I, as well as my clients, really don't want anything in the front of the reel seat, like a ramp, or winding check to get in the way of feeling the rod blank.

It is a nice attractive look and gives maximum access to the rod blank for your finger, and still results in a very nice build.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 02:16PM

For me personally I like a fore grip. After a few hours fishing my hand starts to hurt in between
the fingers I split arount the reel foot (3 in front, 1 behind reel foot). I find myself "choking up" so
my hand extends up onto the fore grip.
But it is personal preference, I agree ask the customer. If these are rods for "general" sale
(no specific customer) try a couple each way and see what sells best. I'd be curious on the answer.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: May 13, 2011 08:45AM

I prefer a fore grip on my 7' spinning rods as I fish a lot from a float tube and use a method that I call "dragging". This is plastic worm fish while drifting with the wind or paddling when calm. I like dragging when the fishing slows down and of course I don't use a fish finder on the float tube. The fore grip is just more comfortable for me and easier when switching hands.

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 13, 2011 03:26PM

If you don't want one or use one don't put one on. Thats custom rod building.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2011 07:26PM

Roger,

I have built a few for my self with out fore grips.

I like it much better with out, especially on the U.L.`s

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster