I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Veneer Home Run!
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: May 10, 2011 09:31PM

Seen a couple posts lately about abalone veneers. So figure I would post my results experienced last week..

Now keep in mind I am a plain jane rod guy... RARELY do I do anything "artistic". But the new stuff from Angler's Envy is INCREDIBLE in application ease and appearance.

I used the old stuff with the vinegar soak, and had ok results. This stuff... wow... I had the application done in 7 minutes including the water soak on the first attempt. Massive profit maker,

One thing I noticed - Kevin said at the Expo that you didn't need to worry about the seam overlap as much. I found it you cut the piece of abalone long ways - that is with the strips on the inlay - the seam just about completely disappears and just looks like one of the seams between the strips to make the sheet (hope that makes sense!). It stands out a bit if you "cross cut" the inlay piece. (Kevin probably mentioned this and will tell me how great I paid attention)

Regardless - here's my results. [www.rodbuilding.org] Also - this is a on a popping blank - small diameter butt - much tighter bend than a big fat butt. I think the reel seat had to be a 10.5 to give you some idea. Point being - no cracking or anything even with tight of a bend radius.

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Veneer Home Run!
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2011 09:41PM

looking good brotha.

Posted by: David Page (---.234.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 10, 2011 09:54PM

That looks good Alex. I've tried messing with abalone a few times and that stuff has absolutely kicked my butt every time. I finally gave up and bought a kit and scanned it lol. I know it won't look exactly the same but I am now boycotting abalone lol. The scanning lesson cost me a freakin fortune. Maybe 1 day I'll try it again.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Posted by: Rod Carlson (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: May 10, 2011 10:49PM

Anyone tried the opaque veneers from @#$%&? or are they the same? Look ok to me, purchased some to try.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (129.133.208.---)
Date: May 10, 2011 11:14PM

The @#$%& flexible veneers are different. They are more of a natural/raw abalone color to them and they have a very thin PVC clean film over them (if I remember the description of them). This thing PVC tends to crack and craze and is slightly visible. It doesn't have the depth of the other stuff. I've started using Anglers Envy Tachy-MOP and have been very happy! Easy to apply and looks great and in several colors!

Posted by: Brendan Murphy (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2011 11:25PM

Nice job Alex!
I just got my order from Kevin in the mail yesterday, can't wait to try this stuff out! Thanks for the info!

Posted by: Rod Carlson (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: May 10, 2011 11:37PM

Timothy Johnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The @#$%& flexible veneers are different. They
> are more of a natural/raw abalone color to them
> and they have a very thin PVC clean film over them
> (if I remember the description of them). This
> thing PVC tends to crack and craze and is slightly
> visible. It doesn't have the depth of the other
> stuff. I've started using Anglers Envy Tachy-MOP
> and have been very happy! Easy to apply and looks
> great and in several colors!

Thanks for the info, ill test first!

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2011 08:35AM

Alex; I have tried all three versions of Abalone veneers but the New stuff is absolutely Great. Very Easy to work with

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 11, 2011 03:31PM

Looks good AD! You've inspired me to try it on my wife's new rod.

Posted by: michael bonanno (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 10, 2011 06:20AM

hi , i've never used veneer before, so my question is what do you use to adhere the veneers thatr don't have self adhesive backing?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster