I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tip-top treatment
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2011 12:06PM

What method do you recommend for cementing a tip top to a blank using heat-sensitive ferrule cement? I'm especially interested in hints about small tip-tops (4 & 4.5).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tip-top treatment
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: May 10, 2011 12:11PM

I slice very small strips of the adhesive and pack them into the tip top. then just a little heat on the tube and it's good to go.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2011 12:13PM

I heat the glue stick, then swipe the tiptop tube against it, smearing glue into the tube opening. Then very briefly heat the tube and push it onto the rod blank.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 10, 2011 02:10PM

If the tip top is painted black be sure to run a small brush or file inside first

Click on the arrow in this link to see a very good demo.

Roger I still think you could sell 100,000 miles of 5/64 high temp hot melt preformed sticks!

The ones you gave me at the show for trial were the Cats Meow!

[www.flexcoat.com]

Gon Fishn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2011 02:21PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2011 02:17PM

I was hoping for a suggestion for a heat source - flame or indirect - and tips on how to best judge when sufficient heat was applied to saturate the tip top to blank bond.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 10, 2011 02:28PM

I use hot melt glue inserted IN the tube. I use a craft glue gun to make a lot of strips [www.rodbuilding.org] and then just stick one in the tip tube, break off what need, hit with a lighter and slide on the rod. The problem with epoxy is the difficulty in replacing tips.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2011 02:37PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2011 02:38PM

Phil.
After having issues with a couple of tips coming loose, I have changed my gluing method to the following:
1. I use an alcohol burner to heat the glue stick.
2. With the rod turning in the wrapper, I do a full glue wrap around the tip of the rod.
3. I then heat the tip, and with the heated glue stick, insert the glue stick into the tip for glue on the inside of the tip.
4. Then, I apply heat to the tip, the tip top and assemble.
5. While everything is still flexible, I use a craft stick on the spinning tip to wipe off the excess glue.
6. I double check the alignment and I am done.

-----------
In previous times, before getting the tip well whetted with the glue, I had a couple of tips come loose. It just seems that it is difficult to get the rod tip well whetted with cement, if the cement is not applied to the tip by itself first. But since going to this method, I have had 0 failures with tips.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.bcbsnc.com)
Date: May 10, 2011 02:38PM

I hold mine over an alcohol burner, get it melted then run a dubbing needle though it creating a thick "string" on the bottom side of the needle. Give it a few seconds to cool then peel it off the needle, roll a little and press it down into the tube. Then heat the tube until I see the glue melt and start to "bubble out" and slide the top on the blank. Experimented with a bunch of different ways but this worked the best for me.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2011 04:49PM

Indirect flame. I use an alcohol burner or candle and hold it above the flame, just enough to melt the glue in the tip, the press on and wipe off excess glue.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2011 05:43PM

I no longer use hot melt glue because I've had several tips loosen and rotate when left in a car or truck.
I use a red thermal melt stick used for adhering points to arrow shafts.
It melts at a higher temp. than regular or Flexcoat hot melt.
Put some in the tube, heat and apply to rod.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2011 06:04PM

Two part 5 minute rod building epoxy. Works EVERY time and never fails.

Need to replace a tip top? Just heat it and pull, comes right off.

DR

Date: May 10, 2011 06:42PM

Steven Garvey:

Would you please provide the exact product name and type you are using.

Thanks

Date: May 10, 2011 08:22PM

I've never had one come loose in the heat, even when I lived in Florida or Texas, when tip-top glue like Fuji or Flexcoat or even hot-melt glue was used for installation except on cheap rods purchased at the big store that sells everything.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: May 11, 2011 02:17PM

Bill all I can read is "Fuse-Tite Cement". It's a 1/2" dia. stick, got a light blue wrapper and the glue
itself is a redish clay color. It is hard, you can't dig you're fingernail into it.
I bought it years ago, don't remember where and only have about 3/4" left.

Date: May 11, 2011 03:00PM

I think I've seen that at a local outdoor store here that sells guns, bows etc. I'll check next time I go and if I see it I'll take a picture of it.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: May 11, 2011 06:22PM

Thanks Steve:

The melting point for some of the hot melt for arrows is extremely high - some of stuff lists temps above 1,000 F. The arrow guys are quite knowledgable about the stuff they use on carbon tips. Some of the products specifically say it can not be removed, by heating, without damaging the carbon arrow.

The Flexcoat hot melt was designed for fishing rods and is used by most production companies. When the proper size tip is installed with the hot melt in the proper way it will stay.

The melting point of the Flexcoat adhesive was selected to insure against blank damage during intiial installation or when a repair was needed.

One of the advantages of the Flexcoat adhesive is the ease of removal of a damaged tip on small diameter blanks with minimal chance of damage.

Some tournament fishermen request extra tops to keep with them while on the tournament trail. They fix them when a ring or frame is damange themselves. I would never take the chance of one of my customers removing a tip top installed with epoxy.

I have damaged tip tips during removal that were installed with epoxy both on glass and graphite rods -

There is some very good information in the Internet about hot melt use - one interesting thing noted for all - maximum bond strength is diminished each time the material is heated to the melting point. Get the tip on with the fewest heatings cycles as possible. It seems to me the fewest number of heatings is done with putting the material in the tube and heating it - sliding in place - just like is shown on the Flexcoat video. One heating will provide the maximun strength of bond.

Rodbuilders install tip tops to a blank that is stationary (not spinning) and allow any excess to "harden" for a few seconds prior to popping the cooled excess off with the fingers. I would think the removal of excess hot melt with a craft stick while spinning woud be impossible without missalignment of the tip top. .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2011 07:47PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: May 11, 2011 08:22PM

I just use a lighter to heat the stuff, it seems to melt fairly easily.
Typically I put some in the tube heat and apply to rod..
Then I just use a bit of heat from the lighter if I have to adjust or remove it.
No long heating required where it would effect the blank.

Posted by: Daniel Glenn Eason (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2011 10:53PM

personally im with the glue stuffers. i heat up my fuji glue stik with a bic lighter, then wipe the surface of my index finger along the heated patch of glue, creating a thin film on my skin. i then rool up the film, stuff the roll into the tube heat until overflow then insert the blank. minimal heating to align. i dont try to align until the initial contact is 100%. and i have removed the excess glue. i just get it close at first.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: May 11, 2011 11:05PM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Rodbuilders install tip tops to a blank that is
> stationary (not spinning) and allow any excess to
> "harden" for a few seconds prior to popping the
> cooled excess off with the fingers. I would think
> the removal of excess hot melt with a craft stick
> while spinning woud be impossible without
> missalignment of the tip top. .

This one had me scratching my head. I agree with Bill. If the glue is soft enough to be removed with a craft stick, odds are that the tip will shift. Seems like this method would just smear glue around. It's much easier to pop off the excess later. Done right, there is no glue evidence.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 12:41PM

Chuck,
I use the craft stick to remove any excess glue with the material soft.
After the excess glue has been removed so there is not a trace, I will align the tip - reheating slightly if necessary.

Using a craft stick does not burn your finger as if you used your finger to remove the excess glue. (don't ask how I know that)

The entire reason that I have migrated to coating the tip with cement before applying the tip, is that is simply works better for me.

It seemed that when just putting finish on the inside of the tip, there would be some tip tops and some rod tips, where the rod tip did not actually get coated with cement. It seemed that the cement would just simply push by the tip without actually sticking. Thus the need to go to a different system. Never a failure since insuring that the tip is well coated before applying the tip top with a bit of cement on the inside.

Good luck
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster