I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tip top
Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: May 09, 2011 09:41PM

I was just wondering what does everyone use to glue the tip top on? I have been using the tip top glue but I'm hsveing trouble wwith it sticking. I sand the area down I even scrapped it with a knife. Can I use epoxy that way it'll never come loose?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tip top
Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns1.dav.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 09, 2011 10:03PM

U-40 Quik Bond. I've used this on the 3 rods I've built so far and the tips haven't fallen off yet, so I figure its OK!

Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 09, 2011 10:09PM

I was having similar problems too and it was because I was applying the glue directly to the rod tip and trying to slip the tip top, but then I saw a video where they cut small thin pieces of the glue and they were inserted inside the tip top tube then heated until it melted and placed on the rod tip. The last thing you need to do is remove whatever glue spills out of the tube. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 09, 2011 11:02PM

I use hot melt glue inserted IN the tube. I use a craft glue gun to make a lot of strips [www.rodbuilding.org] and then just stick one in the tip tube, break off what need, hit with a lighter and slide on the rod. The problem with epoxy is the difficulty in replacing tips.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2011 11:30PM

I know a few other guys who use hot melt glue sticks also. When I run out of tip top glue, I will become one of those guys.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2011 07:18AM

I do the same as mike, but use high temp glue sticks so they don't come loose if left in the boats rod locker or vehicle's from summer time temps softening the lower temp types of glue.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 10, 2011 07:53AM

I also take a drill bit and run it into the tube of any tops just for grip.

I use Flex Coat 5 min

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Bickings (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 10, 2011 07:57AM

Steve, any paticular brand that you prefer.

Herb Bickings

Posted by: David Aiello (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2011 09:46AM

You can u the glue. Cut a thin piece insert it into the the tiptop and heat the top, than install on rod tip. Never had problems. I would not put it on the rod first like others do. U can also use epoxy but if u are just replacing 1 tip top u have to mix 2 parts not worth it unless u are doing others.

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 10, 2011 01:08PM

I have found my best results with 5 min. epoxy. A little on the tip. A tooth pick to get it in the tube. Slide the tip on and let any residual glue that comes out stay right where it is. After the tip has set up a thumbnail will take the residual off the rod clean as a whistle.

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.bcbsnc.com)
Date: May 10, 2011 02:43PM

High temp glue over an alcohol burner, get it melted then run a dubbing needle though it creating a thick "string" on the bottom side of the needle. Give it a few seconds to cool then peel it off the needle, roll a little between my fingers and press it down into the tube. Then heat the tube until I see the glue melt and start to "bubble out" and slide the top on the blank. Let it set for a mins until it is dry then peel off the excess. Experimented with a bunch of different ways but this worked the best for me.

Posted by: Tom St.Clair (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 10, 2011 04:58PM

I tried the tip glue on about 10 rods years ago.
All of them came loose while fishing, I guess it got too hot.
Since then I have used epoxy on everything and not had the problem again.

I have not had any problems removing tips wit epoxy either, just be real careful with the heat.

I do carry a small stick of the hot melt tip glue in my tackle box along with some gold tape (I think it is for trim) for emergency situations. Never had to use it though PTL....

t

--------------------------------

tom in indy

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 04:30PM

I agree with you Tom. I just tried tip top glue on a rod for test casting and the first cast the tip came right off. I have used epoxy for many years with no problems and no problems when they have to come off.
Heat gently applied will break that bond without hurting the tip section of the rod.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: May 13, 2011 08:50AM

Ditto with what Tom & Jeff said.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster