I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

True black on vinyl decal
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: May 07, 2011 09:32AM

I'm using the vinyl decal media from Swampland to print labels. Using Corel X5 software to create an image in 400x400 dpi, and printing to an HP Photosmart printer set to photo print with best quality. My black background is coming out slightly purple. Well, maybe not purple, but certainly not as black as I'd like. I'd like to get a true black similar to a black Sharpie. I've set the color within the software to a CMYK level of 0,0,0,100 instead of choosing one of Corel's many Pantone, etc, color pallets. Is there any way I can get a blacker black? Is there someway to tweak my printer/preferences to do this?

Also,
Does anyone know the CMYK levels that can produce something close to a metallic gold? Or is this wishful thinking?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: True black on vinyl decal
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 07, 2011 11:08AM

Is the "black" your printer produces acceptable and true black when printed on regular ink jet quality paper? If so you are faced with a problem that many have noticed. Many do not know that India Black Ink has a "purple component" it is there and if you are very consious of it it will be noticed. The black I print with HP print cartridges ends up matching "matt black blanks pretty well - I can tell the difference on gloss black.

Yellow settings are close to metallic gold when using the "holo shine" media - close enough for users of rods not to notice - you will notice because of the close scrutiny. I can use the metalic silver media for filver but the gold media is too thick for me to use without going to a lot of trouble for stick down on smaller blanks. Open the color selection wheel and print several "off yellow" choices on hte holo paper and select the one that looks the best to you.

Date: May 07, 2011 11:17AM

Bill, thanks for the reply but, no, I'm even getting this on regular paper. I've noticed my ink volume is set to the default which is about 50%. Will increasing this help the black or exacerbate the problem?

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 07, 2011 01:32PM

Maybe this would be of some help.

[www.december.com]

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.sub-174-253-147.myvzw.com)
Date: May 07, 2011 01:43PM

Greg, I fought that same problem with a newer HP Officejet all-in-one. I gave up and bought a Canon and I am getting great results on the white vinyl and silvershine.

Chuck

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 07, 2011 03:04PM

C. Royce - Thank You, Thank You and Thank You!

It Is!

Date: May 07, 2011 10:56PM

Well, after a full day of testing, printing, cutting, and wasting quite a bit of paper, I think I have it. Increasing the volume of ink proved to be smudgy on the graphics, but the text looked okay. So I eliminated that lane and tried something else. Here's what worked for me. I changed the black CMYK settings from 0,0,0,100 to a setting of 37,30,30,100. This gave me a blacker black on the screen and in the regular print. However, to get it to come out the blackest with the vinyl media, I had to choose "HP photo paper matte" as my paper of choice in the preferences instead of the default of "HP Advanced photo paper". Enabled max dpi just for good measure. Only problem now is that its just a tad more grainy than when choosing "HP Advanced photo paper". I'm hoping the finish will help to counter this.

Posted by: Larry Laurent (---.sip.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 07, 2011 11:36PM

C. Royce Harrelson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe this would be of some help.
>
> [www.december.com]

This is a great chart. I think it should be printed using the same printer you will use for your decals and that way you wil have an accurate color chart that should be reproducable on oyur printer.

Thanks for this!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster