I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

using a cigarette lighter
Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns1.dav.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 05, 2011 06:12PM

Hi all,

I am only a relative beginner, have just finished my third rod, a Batson RX6 3pc spinning rod

After applying the epoxy finish to the last few guide wraps, I had a cigarette lighter lying on the bench and decided to apply some heat from underneath by sweeping it from side to side, about 4-5 inches below.

After the epoxy had dried on those few guides, it had a slightly cloudy appearance and was nowhere near as glossy as I had experienced on my first two rods, or even on other guides on the same rod.

My Question - Is it likely that the cigarette lighter has produced a smoky / sooty residue that had penetrated into the epoxy and caused this??....or should I be looking elsewhere for possible contamination, such a not cleaning the brushes and mixing cups properly??

Thanks

Dale
Hobart, Tasmania, AUS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: using a cigarette lighter
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2011 08:39PM

If it was a Butane lighter, there should not have been "soot", the other type of lighter definitely! The really should never be the need to apply heat to the epoxy.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 05, 2011 08:43PM

Hi Dale,
Cigarette lighters generally burn butane which doesn't burn cleanly, so if the problem is only on those guides you used it on then then that is the likely cause. If you had contamination in your mixing cups etc then all your guides would have the problem. I use a small LPG torch to do mine and it doesn't cause a problem unless you overdo the heat. You can also use a hairdryer but remember that they can blow dust etc into your epoxy and cause a problem. The torch tends to burn up most small particles. I'm not a fan of alcohol lamps but a lot of guys use them. If you haven't got any bubbles in your finish then there is really no need to apply any heat.

ESFNEM Col

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2011 09:03PM

The lighter is the source. If you must use a lighter use it along side the wrap not under it. Butane does not burn clean in a lighter, in a torch yes.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2011 09:06PM

Dale,
Was the lighter butane, or was it lighter fluid.
If it was lighter fluid, and if the flame is quite yellow, it is not a good idea to use this for a source, since it will emit a lot of smoke.

If it is a butane lighter, the lighter generally burns fairly cleanly.

However, if you use a butane torch, then you are generally better off, because it burns even cleaner than a lighter with a near colorless flame.

If the flame burns with no color, you can be pretty sure that you have a clean heat source that will not contaminate your finish.

Take care
REW

Date: May 05, 2011 10:09PM

Thanks everyone.

Not sure if it is butane or lighter fluid - it is just a standard Bic lighter, but it does have quite a yellow flame. I'll definitely never use a lighter again.

I have been extremely happy with the epoxy finish I have achieved and I haven't really had any problem with bubbles, that would require the use of heat anyway.

Using the lighter was just a bit of a silly spur of the moment thing that I did at the time...like "Oh, this seems like a good idea"...but obviously it wasn't!!

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 05, 2011 11:31PM

i've used a bic on hundreds of guides and wraps - never had an issue. After i melted the tip off a rod once i sure don't hold it very close or for more than a split second either.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Kenneth W Price (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 06, 2011 12:18AM

I have used Bic lighters for 6 yrs now and not one problem,, But If you notice when You first strike the wheel a cloud/stream of smoke, this may have caused the problem if you held it under the wrap while striking..I have always held it off to the side as it has already been mentioned.

Also I have a butane 5"x1" (Pen type) solder gun, when the tip is removed it converts into a screened torch heat blower...This my friend is a dream, 3/8" screened tip that applies the heat only where you put it, meaning you can control it with punpoint accuracy on any bubbles that may arise. Its made by Lenik.@ Sears.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 06, 2011 06:53AM

Just leave the finish alone -- It knows what to do The only thing I use a lighter for is to burn off frizzes.

What you can try is I put my finish on a quick turner. This way I get it on fast. After all is applied I stop the turner and do a 180 turning and if any sags I take them off. After several times I then turn at a slow speed

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2011 08:14AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 06, 2011 03:09PM

Yes. its a sooty residue. I have had it happen but rarely. Holding the flame directly underneath would be the most likely reason. As a beginner I used matches for quite a while with no problems. I always let it light fully from a distance and then go near the wrap.
I never go under a wrap with any type of flame. I don't see a reason too. On the side is fine. Bring a lighter or match or an acohol burner slowly close to your finger from the side and you will quickly find out how much heat your putting on the epoxy and use that as a guide. Your just trying to release surface tension so the air bubbles can escape not actually pop or see the bubbles release as you heat. Give those bubbles a chance to get out for 10 or 15mins. minutes then check your work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2011 03:14PM by Jeff Seabridge.

Posted by: Dion Woodfield (---.lns1.bat.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 07, 2011 12:03AM

Yes Dale a lighter can and does leave a hazey cloud in the epoxy especially on light coloured binds. Done it myself. Now if I have trouble I use a small gas torch. These burn a lot more cleaner. The only thing is to keep the flame setting quite low or you will can add more bubbles than you remove. Practice makes perfect. Don't give up.

Date: May 07, 2011 12:14AM

By the way Dale. If you have any other problems, you can email me. Just click on my name. Us Tassie boy's gotta stick together.
Cheers; Woody.

Date: May 07, 2011 02:43AM

Thanks again everyone for all the replies

Hi Woody, its a nice surprise to hear from you.
Do you live in Hobart, or somewhere else in Tassie?

Date: May 07, 2011 03:23AM

Nah mate, don't live in Hobart. I live in Burnie the good end of the state. Just joking. Had a look at your photo's in the other part of site. Not bad. You will have to buy Billy Vivona's book and try some fancy wraps. Do you wrap by hand or machine?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster