I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide height
Posted by: Patrick Marecic (---.ussignalcom.net)
Date: May 05, 2011 10:28AM

New to this forum; what I've read has been great so far.

I'm going to build a Winston BIIIx 9' 8wt for my brother. I want to use AmTack's high-profile ceramic guides for the stripper & next two guides. Is there anywhere I can get info on guide height (base to center of ring or top of ring) so that my guides don't suddenly go down at a big angle with the regular guides toward the tip? ANY help on this would be appreciated. I've never used the high profile guides, but I like the better angle coming off the reel down the rod & would like to try it.

Thanks... & glad to be part of the forum.

------------------------------------------------------------
Give a man a fish & he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish & he may never be home in time for supper again.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he may never be home in time for dinner again!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide height
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2011 10:57AM

Hello Patrick,
Mudhole or any of the other sponsors that sell that guide can probably give you the specs. I will say that you probably don't need to be too concerned about the sudden angle change. In fact, it is desirable to get down to the smallest guide size as quickly as possible. As an example: sz 16 stripper, sz 12, sz 8, then sz 6 single foot ceramics for all the running guides. Personally, I would likely lose one of the intermediate guides, and maybe go with sz 16, sz 10, then my runners. The best way to know for sure what works best, is to order several different size guides, tape 'em on, and go test cast. Ceramic guides are not the lightest option available, if that matters to you.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2011 11:02PM by George Forster.

Posted by: Patrick Marecic (---.ussignalcom.net)
Date: May 05, 2011 11:14AM

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of 16-12-8, then 6's on out also; but 16-10-10 is good, too. I'll definately test both. As far as the weight... I've been reading the pertinent posts on this site about ceramic vs non-ceramic guides. If you look at the placement of the guides & the SMALL difference in weight on out to the tip, the difference in the moment of inertia at full load would be well less than 30 grams (one ounce) and would move the balance point, at most, a couple of millimeters. I don't have any experience casting a fly rod with all ceramic guides all day, but I can't imagine it could make a noticeable difference in either casting response or fatigue. I'm going with ceramics

And let's be honest, it's for my brother... If it makes him cast funny & gets him more fatigued by the end of the day, I can ride him about his poor technique & how out of shape he's gotten! And then I won't make one for ME like that!

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: May 05, 2011 12:26PM

Patrick
I have been using ceramics for years and really like them. The weight difference is so minute I don't think you can tell the difference even after a full day of casting.
My 8 wt I went 12-8 and 6's on out. If your wanting a 16 for the stripper I would just go 16-12 or 16-10 then 6's on out. You could actually go from the 16 to the 6's but it might look better with the 10 or 12for transition. Buy the extra guides and tape it up see which looks best to you. Remember this is a custom rod and the only person you have to please is yourself. Your brother will just be happy to have a new rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster