I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Durable light saltwater blank
Posted by: Rod Carlson (---.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: May 05, 2011 07:24AM

Looking to build two soft-bait rods in the 10# to 30# line range, these are going to be used with braid and the guys use stella reels.He doesn't want graphite as he is hard on it and has snapped a few, so any suggestions would be welcome
The Rainshadow RCLB70L looks ok but whatever blank I choose it doesn't need to be a full on casting rod as the fishing will be mostly drifting with a sea anchor in 10 to 60 metre depths although must be able to handle the odd 15-25 Kg kingfish that hook up sometimes when your trying to catch snapper ..

Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Durable light saltwater blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 05, 2011 07:37AM

Find several composites and check the weight of the blank.

Also check what he has broken. See if maybe they are to light for what he uses them for. Maybe he is - high stickin - them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2011 09:18AM

If he wants light, then graphite is the way to go. The best compromise would be to go with a mix like Batsons RX4/composite SWS series. These blanks are quite durable as are their E-glass SWB series (much heavier). I know Calstar and Seeker also make comparable blanks but have not built on those so cannot offer real world experience. I have been playing around with MudHole's MHX L905 recently for cobia, AJ's and live lining for big Striped Bass. Have been very pleased with their strength and performance so far but keep in mind these blanks are all graphite. If your client is vertical jigging, then look at the Seeker Hercules or the Batson knife jigging for starters. Both are super tough but have actions specific to vertical jigging. Good luck.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2011 09:25AM by Todd Kreikamp.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: May 05, 2011 09:26AM

Hello Rod

I like my GTS70L from Seeker 15-30#, 7'2", Lure: 3-10oz. .645 butt, 7.5 tip.
It's a tough blank, Billy Vivona sells them.

Good Luck!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2011 11:00AM

The Seeker Hercules Inshore Lite sounds like a perfect match for what he's doing, I'm expecting a shipment of Grey & metalli cred ones tomorrow: [northeastrodbuilders.com] How heavy is hte weight he will be using when drifting, or is he free lining?

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 05, 2011 11:23AM

I have to suggest the seeker hercules inshore lite. Perfect match. You'll be very happy with it, and it can handle those kingfish. Plus it's light enough for snappers.
hope you choose one
GABE

Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.sub-174-252-2.myvzw.com)
Date: May 05, 2011 12:56PM

I can recomend the inshore lite I built a fee of them hands down one of the best blanks I ever used and versital as can be ..

Posted by: Rod Carlson (---.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: May 05, 2011 03:11PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Seeker Hercules Inshore Lite sounds like a
> perfect match for what he's doing, I'm expecting a
> shipment of Grey & metalli cred ones tomorrow:
> [northeastrodbuilders.com]
> erculesblanks.html How heavy is hte weight he will
> be using when drifting, or is he free lining?

Thanks yes I am looking at these, also the new Rainshadow knife jigging ones. He is drifting with anything from 1/2 to 2 oz with jerk shads & real bait!
The only thing is are the butts slim enough for a cork handle? I don't have a lathe so would use IPSM or VSSM kits
I don't normally use cork so any suggestions there would be helpful also :)

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: May 05, 2011 05:27PM

It is confusing when very different fish go by the same name. Kingfish, for me, is king mackeral and the rclb line is fine for that. I'm thinking the kingfish he is talking about are what they call yellowtail in Cali and are a member of the jack family. Those are very tough fish and a 25kg one would rock you up in a new york second on a rclb70l. A 60 pound amberjack that loves structure is a very tough fight.

Seeker and calstar would be on my short list. I'm also fond of the lamiglas tri flex line but I don't feel it is quite as rugged. I have a few of the rclb's and they are a great live bait rod. However the very things that make them great for live bait wouldn't make them right for swimbaits IMHO. For that I'd want a stiffer tip and a quicker lock up.

To make matters worse saying 10# braid means little. Some 10# braids will test out 2-3 or more times higher. That white, fused, stiff berkely is a good example. Best to find out what line he uses and find out how strong it really is. That and check out his technique.....or else he will break what you build and may consider it your fault....and problem.

What about CTS? Seems they would know what is best for your area?

Personally I'd never use cork for anything that would ever see time in a rod holder.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Rod Carlson (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: May 05, 2011 06:08PM

he wants cork so i have no choice there, yes you are right about the kingfish, they are yellowtail & they can be prolific in the area we fish, although he isn't targeting them, maiinly snapper in the 3 to 7 kg range. The line he uses is 4kg braid as most of us do down here. Im not sure we are metric here but that equates to around 10 lb im guessing. He also uses 8kg when there is foul ground so thats the reason for the 10-30lb line range Believe it or not CTS don't sell their blanks here or Im missing something! They are made for the US market. Composite Developments and Kilwell are aslo NZ companys that make great blanks but have little interest in the local rod building scene, they charge way too much for there blanks ( if you can source them) so I buy from the US sites although shipping costs are a bit high ouch... I also think the retailers in the US are really helpful as are everyone here on the rodboard so im sticking with them :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2011 06:34PM by Rod Carlson.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: May 06, 2011 06:08AM

Hello Rod

As I said the butt is only .645", should be able to ream the cork handle out that much.

Good Luck!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 06, 2011 07:28AM

You also can get made handles with .7 ID in them. Can be cut and shaped Many different sizes. A piece of scrap blank - stiff - some grit strips and you can make a good reamer to finish it off.

No lath - a drill can be used. Just rest the other end on some sort of V to support it and a piece of stiff scrap blank to fit the handle and the drill If it does not fit the drill. glue in a piece of scrap blank into the end that does fit

More then one way to skin this cat

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2011 08:42AM

The Inshore Lite casts 1-3oz very well when built spinning. For drifting, 1/2oz - 2oz is a little light, th erod will feel a little broomstickish. I'm pretty sure the RCLB you mention will be the same way. If he wanted something with a softer tip that is durable and will probably be a littel better on the lower end of the weight range, maybe look into the Seeker CSW/CBW 708

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: May 06, 2011 12:02PM

Parts used and how you assemble the rod can make a big difference also. (Split-grip, lighter guides) Build it light.

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2011 08:45PM

Soft I start thinking Calstar 270 or 196 both are glass. If he wants really soft Seeker 870. The Seeker 270H is close to the feel of the Calstar 270, but more backbone. I also like the Rainshadow SWS597 but that is a composite and have tied them up as spinners and have no problem tossing a 3 oz ball 90 yards without trying. I have seen someone break a 597 bass mastering a fish into the boat, so for durability its pretty hard to beat the Seeker blanks. The RCLB's are a bit stiffer than I'd want for a soft rod. The RCLB70L makes a good jig rod very similar in action to the Hercules Inshore light, the RCLB70M makes a good 40# trolling rod similar to the Seeker 665 or Calstar 670. I know the Hercules blanks are strong, but I don't know how they will stand up to a rough and tumble customer

I've not seen the new 8' and 9' Hercules blanks yet, Billy have you seen these yet and how do they compare to the 7' Inshore?

Thank you whoever you are

WWW.WeSeekHerRods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 08:48PM by Ted Culin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster