I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly's ? need hlep
Posted by: logan young (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: May 03, 2011 05:02PM

i am new to fly fishing i love it but i do not what flys do i need to use? is it the time and day or what? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly's ? need hlep
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2011 05:27PM

I guess it all depends what you are fishing for. If you are fishing for striped bass, a good fly to start with is a Clouser Deep Minnow. For black bass go with Clousers and deer hair poppers and finally for bream any small fly will do. The ones that look like ants work very well.

Date: May 03, 2011 05:34PM

for like rainbow and brook and brown trout

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2011 06:05PM

There is probably a library full of books written about what fly to use and when. Sometimes you need a graduate degree in entomology just to know what they are talking about.

I keep it real simple. Several sizes of Parachute Adams or Elk Hair Caddis and just match the size of whatever is hatching. If nothing is hatching, an ant pattern on top and a copper john or prince nymph below. If none of that works, crack open a beer and enjoy the view.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.78.242.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 03, 2011 07:44PM

Logan,
Prepare to learn for your entire life.
Watch the fish and let them tell the story.
If they're hunkered down fish a weighted nymph slightly higher then they are.
If they're lying 12-18 inches under the surface swing a wet fly in front of them.
If they're dimpling the surface go with a dry.
Trout generally feed up-stream and higher in the water than they are.
Most will not pick-up on items lower in the water column then they are.
The surface light acts to backlight your offering and don't underestimate their vision in clear water.
If they approach your fly then refuse drop a tippett size. Leader shy
Been doing this for 30+ years and still learn more with every passing season.

For flys
Gold ribbed hares ear with brass bead head
Peacock herl wooly worm with brown hackle weighted and non-weighted
Brown wooly worm weighted
Prince nymph weighted
Crackle back
Griffith's gnat
Adams
Elk hair caddis
Ant
Dave's hopper
Cricket

Practice catch and release often. Let the trout educate you and you in turn can put some back having learned from thier mistakes.

Eugene Moore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 07:53PM by Eugene Moore.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: May 03, 2011 09:44PM

Every water is different, and every season is different. But around here once it warms a bit and the insects start hatching, almost anything will do. For the trout in the Sierras, it is hard to beat an Elk Hair Caddis pattern, or an Elk Hair Caddis with a dropper nymph of some type tied below it.

Just me, but I like an Elk hair caddis with a small tuft of white on top so I can see it. Parachute Adams produces for me too-probably for the same reason.

I like woolly buggers (brown and dark green) for deeper holes when the fish are not taking insects off the surface.

Some days you just need a whole fly box full of stuff to try when they are being picky.

Drew

Date: May 03, 2011 09:54PM

thanks guys for all the info. i will go to sportsman wearhouse and get what ya'll said thanks so much.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: May 03, 2011 10:47PM

Logan-Go to a local Fly shop. They will know the local waters and be full of decent advice. Get a small selection of the top 5 flies they recommend and go fishing. Sportsman's Warehouse doesn't seem like the optimal place to start your fly fishing career. That really isn't their market, and they are not that interested in it.

Drew

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: May 04, 2011 04:21AM

logan, if you unhide your email address, i can send you some tips.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: May 06, 2011 10:07PM

unfortunately, drew may be speaking truth.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 08, 2011 07:25AM

Drew is right.

If you get into it, you may want to ty your own Even more fun

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster