I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How low can you go?? micro question
Posted by: Ben Hurlstone (202.124.72.---)
Date: May 03, 2011 06:39AM

how small would you go to pass 60-80lb leaders knots without losing distance from hang-ups??
it will be on a casting stick (loomis mag bass), not spinning
i dont build many castings rods, more spinning, so not to sure, was thinking 6-7 but thats on the being safe (and to be honest id rather be safe than having the annoyance of leader knots not passing smoothly, which sh..s me to tears)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How low can you go?? micro question
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 03, 2011 06:49AM

6mm

DR

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2011 06:55AM

8mm would be my first choice to test. The best advice is to tape it up and try it BEFORE you wrap and epoxy.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 03, 2011 07:32AM

Try a hollow braid and and will not have a knot for the 60-80lb leader, then U could get by with a 5 Micro.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 03, 2011 07:40AM

If you haven't, try this knot out. It looks super slim and should fly out of 5mm guides.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 03, 2011 08:33AM

How small a ring you can employ depends on your particular knot. The only way to really know for sure is to try it.

Date: May 03, 2011 08:41AM

yeh will be taping before i try, however i need to buy a set of a certain size, this is where your info helps, so far its a set of 6's and 8's

i use a slim beauty knot, smallest and strongest knot i know of, plus i have alot of confidence in it so proably will not change.

hollow braid is not my thing, i have my preferences and dont think ill change anytime soon but thank you for your input

Date: May 03, 2011 08:47AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How small a ring you can employ depends on your
> particular knot. The only way to really know for
> sure is to try it.
>
> ........................

couldnt agree more, also the leader material and dia size plays its part

i do change leader brands often, always searching for thinner and stronger contenders.......
its addictive this 'hobby' isnt it!

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.159.---)
Date: May 04, 2011 06:26PM

The Sebile knot has to be the smallest of the leader to braid knots since it has only one thickness of the mono/fluoro and two of the braid. Whether I can remember how to tie it is another question.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 06, 2011 07:40AM

Check out this one : [www.youtube.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster