I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod for 10yo boy
Posted by: jeff smith (---.lnse2.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 03, 2011 01:54AM

Hi Guys
Looking to build a fly rod for a friend's 10yo grandson. Boy has never fly fished before, grandfather is experienced!!!
The rod will be used for fishing for trout in a lake (from shore and a boat). Good sized fish from 40cm to 55cm brown and rainbow trout.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.
many thanks.
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod for 10yo boy
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2011 10:06AM

I think an 8 foot, 6 weight would be about right. It's what I use for similar fish, and the slightly shorter length makes the rod a little easier to handle.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 03, 2011 12:42PM

I am going to have to disagree on the 8' a 9' will actually help him where his back cast will be higher off the ground/water which is better for a young child just learing the techniques involved.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 03, 2011 01:15PM

Both gentleman are correct, but there are pros and cons to both. The shorter rod will be less tiresome to use and would be the way I'd go for a 10-year old. If his line is dropping down and hitting the ground or water behind him, a longer rod will only marginally help - that's a flaw in the casting stroke and should be addressed.

Here's a tip - when teaching him to "stop" the rod on the back cast, have him make the back cast so that he brings the rod up squarely in front of his forehead. He can only go back so far that way without hitting himself in the head. It's a good technique for creating a high and quick stop. Once that's ingrained, he'll know what the problem is if he slips back into any bad habits.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: May 03, 2011 02:02PM

I have built quite a few youth rods. The size I have found that seems to work best for them if they are stream fishing (wading) is a 7'6" 5wt. I agree that out of a boat an 8' would probaly be better. I have had this discussion on other boards about the length but usually the wt is always a 5 or 6. They need something they can feel load the rod and those will do that. It is my belief that the 9'ers are not only heavier but the length is hard for them to deal with at that age(12 and younger). Young children are great imitators and learn quickly if they are with someone who is a decent caster. It is important to emphasize the sudden stop of the rod on both ends of the cast.

Posted by: jeff smith (---.lns11.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 03, 2011 06:13PM

Thanks guys - Very helpful
I personally was thinking that an 8' 0", 3 or 4 wt was about right and was going to suggest over-lining it by one weight to make the rod loading easier to feel.
I did however have some reservations about 3 wt and the size of the fish and so was interested to here your feedback re the suggested line weight (5 or 6) which is definitely more suited to the fishing.
thanks again.
Jeff

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.78.242.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 03, 2011 07:59PM

Jeff,
Definitely a short rod for pre-teens.
If you want a rod that will fit the bill for a long period of time a 7-1/2 foot 4 or 5 weight will last a life time of trout fishing.
If this is to be primarily a learning tool a 6-1'2 foot light action spinning rod may be lined with an 8 weight line for greater feel of the timing with an easy casting stroke for short to moderate distances.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 04, 2011 03:09AM

My 9 and 11 year old sons both fly fish and the younger has a 7'6" 4 weight overlined w/ a 5 wt line, the 11 yr old a 8'6" 5 wt. overlined w/ a 6 wt. They do fine for trout and panfish and the occasional bass. The little one won a 9' 4 wt G Loomis at a raffle last year and of course he has to use that now although I think it's too long but he does just fine with it. I'm more afraid he'll break the tip off hiking, like his old man did last weekend.

Greg

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: May 04, 2011 04:25AM

my 11 year old daughter has had a 7'-6" 4wt with 5wt line on it for a few years. works great for trout stream fishing and i use it on occasion. if i was to wrap a lake rod for her, i might choose an 8 or 8-6" 5wt on first thought.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: jeff smith (---.lns11.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 04, 2011 04:46PM

Once again, very many thanks guys.
Invaluable advice.

Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster