I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forhan Wrap with "K"-series Fuji Guides?
Posted by: Jim Kirby (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 27, 2011 10:30PM

After a long and happy relationship with Fuji Concept guides I've been forced by a client to build a few rods with the "K"-series guides. I'm not at all happy with the way these things look with the Forhan wrap. I know that the gutter in the guide foot is supposed to eliminate the need for this but I've looked at the thing and just don't trust it. Does anyone out there have suggestions ?

Jim Kirby

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forhan Wrap with "K"-series Fuji Guides?
Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: April 28, 2011 01:23AM

Jim,

I too have the same issues and actually posted my concerns way back when they first came out.

The Forhan wrap doesn't work as well on the Ks. Some on here will say that it does and they are better than me because mine look lumpy and have a significant gap as they transition from behind the guide to in front of the guide.

My solution is to wrap up the foot as far as possible then come around in front of the foot and put a trim. Then I let the epoxy build up slightly in front of the foot creating a little ramp which I hope will help secure the foot.

Cheers
Chris

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2011 08:59AM

Jim,
With the length and diamond design of the guide foot, I really see no reason to use the locking wrap.

Wrap a few without it and see if you can pull them out . Doubtful.

Use a conventional wrap, do a nice job on the finish and move on.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: April 28, 2011 09:54AM

They are a pain but it can be done. I have had best results with going right into the locking wrap without doing any blocking wraps.

Date: April 28, 2011 11:05AM

Mike,
Sure they can be done, but do you really have any reason to do them on these wraps with their longer feet and different foot design?
Roger

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.sub-75-204-157.myvzw.com)
Date: April 28, 2011 11:10AM

I've used these guides exclusively. I fussed with the gap for a while. The advantages, in my opinion, far outweigh the "gap". In fact, my customers don't even notice the gap.
I wrap as far as possible up the guide frame, then just 2 locking wraps and 2 blocking. Then I burnish as tightly to minimize the little gap, which looks huge when we magnify it.
The design of the foot helps get the epoxy to flow underneath. I've had to remove several guides and the epoxy under the guide is impressive. So much that I actually agree with Roger. I have stopped with the locking wrap and have not had a single failure. By adding the trim ring you still don't get rid of the small gap. I've done that as well. In my opinion, it's much fuss about nothing. Great guides, period.

Todd

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 28, 2011 11:17AM

Jim Kirby what size guides are you using?

If they are 4.0 or smaller some have doubts and others who sell/build/use micro rods have failure/warranty history.

Test/Use exists

The K series micro, Fuji's version of frame design change, \was developed to improve warranty return rate for micro rods. .

Many builders are now using more than one type of attachmant and guides types on the same rod. Micro guides toward the butt have a higher replacement problem than guides near the tip section. The pull out is caused by many different situations. The worst being - long throw - non stretch limp braid - wind - bait hung up - angler dropping rod to horizontal and yanking to free bait - huge force - pull one guide out - failed guide knocks two more in front out - free rod/component replacent or unavaiibilithy of rod for tournament use. Many rodbuilders do not like this!

Remember the goal of M&M Volume I - build a better rod! The composite formed by proper thread, tension and finish and the thread/finish encasement of the frame all contribute to the strength of the attachmant. The Forhan raises test numbers and reduces warranty return on all micro guides.

Mike I think you are correct. Most do not realize many using the Fohan used blocks prior to the locks. On the K series guides the locks fit perfectly in the "neck" at the entrance to the two risers. Blocks put prior to the locks tend to place a fulcrum point for rotation of the guide foot. I refer to blocks that are placed after the locks placed past the twin riiser and the locking wraps. This completes the encasement of the intentional finish port with a thread/finish composite..

The small "visual" problem of closing the gap is small when compared to a failure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2011 07:04PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Ron Orga (---.dom.com)
Date: April 28, 2011 12:37PM

Is there any data available on the breaking strength of a traditional wrapped guide compared to one using the Forhan locking wrap? I typically use the locking wrap because it appears stronger, but wondered if anyone has ever tested the strength of the two wraps.

Ron

Date: April 28, 2011 04:27PM

Ron,
With respect to actual twisting or using the guide, there is little difference in the wraps.
The big difference that you see with locking wraps, is for guides that have short feet and or a straight tapered foot, with no locking tabs on the feet.

If the foot is relatively long, and if the foot has locking tabs on the foot - there is really little need to use a locking wrap.

But, for short footed guides, especially micros, then there is a significant advantage to the use of the locking wrap.

Actually I really see little advantage from a builder to have guide feet this short on a guide. All right - you save the weight of a half dozen wraps and the finish for the wraps.
But is that really significant in the scope of things?

It would be so much easier and quicker to wrap a guide foot that was a touch longer.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 28, 2011 04:34PM

If you do not or can not use three turns , use two or even just one and then do a block wrap after

I am sure the locking wrap police are not watching you

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster