I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

One Part Old School Rod Varnish
Posted by: Brent Holland (---.sofnet.net)
Date: April 27, 2011 07:16PM

Here's my dilimma... I'm new to this game, so forgive me for speaking 'rod-wrap kindegarden'. I like the old steel rods at present, and ofcourse there's plenty of them out there in need of line guide repair. For some of them, Some seem like good candidates to put newer modern guides on them so they can actually be used. I think the guys who made them would consider it a high compliment to once again use these masters of American craftsmanship that they gave their life's work to. Anyway, concerning the thread wrap I like all the features of the new epoxies - with one exception... the high build epoxy is so thick it covers up all that nice threadwork to the point where it looks more like shrinkwrap than thread (not a bad thing if that's the look you're going for). But for the old school stuff I'd like to actuallyt see the threads. Thats where the dilemma comes in... I'm told the old varnish yellows, and it doesn't have the UV protection and the flexibility of the new epoxies. The advantage for me is that you can build thickness in layers and there would be no waste. In a perfect world I'd like to see the threads but not feel the rough finish. I can accomplish that with the low build epoxy, but as I understand it, to avoid risk of inncorrect mixing you have to mix a larger quantity than what my be needed. If several 'low build' applications are needed to dial in the thickness then that could get expensive with all the wasted material! So I'm calling on the voice of experience... Could the low build epoxy give me the look and feel I'm after in one application? Or is there a good one part compromise that might have some of the advantages of the newer products?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One Part Old School Rod Varnish
Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: April 27, 2011 07:43PM

Yes, a light formula epoxy can do what you want. The ultimate might be permagloss but I'd try the epoxy first. I don't think you will find yourself wasting much and one coat will do. I hate thick coats of epoxy and have had good results with threadmaster lite. I was quite happy with varnish back in the day but it does yellow.

I have to admit to being old enough to have a degree of love for steel fencing rod blanks! I'd grab one if I could find one heavy enough to fish monel and handle a wahoo. Now where did I hide that penn 49?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2011 09:08PM

You can apply high build epoxy thinly, so that it looks like varnish. Put on less and apply it with a stiffer brush.

Date: April 27, 2011 11:08PM

That's great advice. I'll check into those products you mentioned. That helps allot.

Date: April 27, 2011 11:09PM

I hadn't thought of that. That makes allot ot sense. Thanks

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: April 28, 2011 12:47PM

Brett,
We offer 3 products that can do what you like. We have a lite build 2 part epoxy ThreadMaster, we offer a 1 part urethane product LumiSeal and we also offer a varnish that will stay clear. These are available at a sponser on the left Jann's Net Craft or give us a shout and we can let you know who else carries all 3 of these.

Scott Parsons

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.199.---)
Date: April 28, 2011 06:01PM

The problem with seeing the threads is not, in my opinion, the high build finish-it is very clear, clearer than the old varnishes. I think that the old steel rods used coarse wrapping thread. Try some size D, if you have not already. Not sure if there is thicker thread than D, but there may be some from other crafts that would work here. Any historians out there that know what used to be used on steel rods (other than steel wire, which I seem to remember).

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: April 28, 2011 06:48PM

The old steel rod I have inherited has glass rings and the guide feet are wrapped with wire and soldered. I'l bet you could actually kill someone with this rod. It has an old Pflueger level wind reel with the original braided line on it. Not a light weight set up, but durable to the max!!
Bill

Date: April 28, 2011 11:00PM

Did you know that these steel rods were made out of the same material they used to make tank antennas out of?! That's why they're so tough... they're war material. I had a need to cut one of these once, and it was so tough, even with using a new quality hackssaw blade it laid the teeth right over! I ended up having to grind it.

Date: April 28, 2011 11:07PM

That's a new approach... rather than focusing on ultra-thin rod finish to make the threads more visable, just make the threads larger... bigger threads have to be more visable. Makes sense. I've considered trying the wire wrap and solder, but worried that the heat might mess with the temper of the rod if someone actually wanted to use it. With names like "True Temper" fishing rods, there must have been something to getting the temper of the steel just right for strength and flexibility and yet still keep the 'memory' of the rod to recoil back straight, I wonder if they didn't put the guides on first and then temper the steel.

Posted by: Peter Appel (---.blrgga.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: April 29, 2011 06:30AM

Brent,
The rods were tempered before the guides were applied. Solder flows at a relatively low temperature, much lower than the temperature used in the tempering process. You can use a small torch to melt the solder, knocking the rod against a wood block when the solder is liquid to remove the excess, and then peeling the wire off with a pair of pliers. As long as you don't heat the rod to the point where it shows color (red), you'll be fine. 24 gauge picture hanging wire in either brass or copper works well as a replacement - use acid core solder.

Michael is right - the threads used were typically at least size D; many used a size E.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 29, 2011 08:26AM

Brent, my first rod i built was a WW2 tank antenna, army surplus. Bought as a kit from the back page of a British fishing magazine, Angling Times.The ugliest green you ever saw. The thread that came with the kit was the same i used to use as a kid to fly kites, black No10 sewing thread. The bobbin it came on had an anchor logo on it i seem to recall, brand escapes me. Coates?
The varnish was yellow upon arrival, no idea what it was but it flaked off within a year. I then used some of my moms clear nail varnish and that was vastly better.
About 45 years ago i got one of my uncles Apollo Steel rods, that too looked like a NO 10 thread or perhaps it was a flax thread. Not black though, a more natural brownish color.Much better quality than the army surplus thing i had built but by then hollow glass was just so vastly superior in almost every way i do not even know what became of it.
Would be nice in my bar now.

Date: April 29, 2011 09:00AM

Hey Lou, What a great story! I love hearing stuff like that. There's a rich history to these things that I'm just partially aware of. I would really like to see one of those kits. I've never actually fished with one of these rods, but they seem substantial and balanced with a fast action for their size. Sounds like all the modern choices will be more effective than the thread and varnish in their original versions. Thanks for sharing that with me.

Date: April 29, 2011 09:06AM

Peter, thanks for the education on the solder. Seems like I tried soldering one of those wraps once (I'm more careful not to damage them now) and the hugh 1/2 dia high watt soldering iron was not enough; then I tried a small propane torch with brush on flux and rosin core solder and it didn'f flow very well (there's no greeater heat sink than a 5 foot piece of steel - its like trying to solder a railroad track), and I was afraid of applying more heat. I'll have to try the acid core flux you recommended. That picture frame wire is valuable information. There's no better voice than that of experience. Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster