I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New To Rod Building!
Posted by: michael schnoor (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 12:42AM

Hello lady and gents,

My name is Mike and I from Gainesville, FL and have been an avid fisherman since I was able to walk. I just finally decided to pick up rod building as my new hobby, and I'm excited to start the process. I never could find rods that certainly fit my needs, so I figured this is the best way to fill that! My first rod build will be for my fishing bud, as I told him he would be the test subject. We generally fish the saltwater flats for trout, reds, snook, and tarpon. I'm looking to find him a decent blank that would be great for tossing artificials(mirrodines, skitterwalks, etc). He wants a medium/heavy fast tip blank. Could you guys point me in the right direction for one that is in the moderate price range(I'm worried about getting a decent rod and messing up my first build). Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm looking forward to being a regular here!

Thanks,

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New To Rod Building!
Posted by: Joel Barnett (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 01:00AM

Hi Mike,
I am new to rod building too, and I don't have lots of experience. I am not a saltwater fisherman (bass guy), so I can't suggest any particular blanks, but Batson Rainshadow blanks are a great place to start. They have a huge selection and good prices; plus If you order through Utmost Enterprises, you get a great discount on blanks and components. I am sure others will chime in on specific blank suggestions.
I have also heard great things about mud hole's MHX blanks, but have no experience with them.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: April 25, 2011 08:34AM

Hello Mike
My first "new" rod was a MudHole "kit" rod, it was a heavy bottom rig.
It was a good place to start because they send you everything you need to build the rod and if you dont think you are going to like building you hav'nt put a lot into it, but if you do like to build your next one you might try buying it as componants.

From the small amount of info you gave I would suggest a MudHole kit, the ATCGS-3 for spin or ATCGC-3 for casting.
It has a 7' Blank with 20-30# Line wt, 1-4oz Lure wt, Med-Fast Action, Med-Heavy Power.
It comes with real seat, guides, winding check, EVA grips, and a gimble style butt cap.

Good Luck and "Welcome to the Addiction."

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2011 05:59AM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2011 01:31PM

Hey Mike,

My best advice to you is to give a couple of the vendors to the left a call and ask them. The folks at Batson, Mudhole Bingham are IMO some of the best in both knowledge and customer service. They make a living at keeping Rod builders informed and have great knowledge of the various waters we all fish. Let them know what you are looking for and the spec's you want and they will take care of you. I have ben building for almost 40 years and I still ask questions so give them a call and trust me they will point you in the right direction.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez
SoCal

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 08:53PM

I would say start with a kit on your first build so you know what's all invovled in building a rod from the size of the reel seat to the winding checks to the guides you will need for your build. Most of the venders will help you with a kit or have some prepared.

Posted by: Joel Barnett (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 11:39PM

If a company doesn't have a kit that seems to fit you needs, you can always ask them to make sure all the components you want will fit your blank of choice. Talk to the shop before placing an order, ask for advice. Many times they will pre-fit components for you so you will be sure to get compatible parts. Most shops are ready to help.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 09:45AM

Kits are a good way to start. All the selection of componants are done for you. Mudhole has some good kits. Also some good instruction videos. They can help you with the supplies, and wrapper to get you going.
Rainshadow blanks are excellent. I like to use Midwesr Rod and Reel. They are excellent, and will also help you spec out the whole build.
Lance at Swampland also does a great job.
Good luck!

Date: April 26, 2011 05:55PM

The kits seem fun; however, they also seem very limited to creativity...I always feel like I'm "selling out" buying those type of things. Or is it the best way to get started?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 26, 2011 07:18PM

Michael, you're right,The only negative to a kit isthat more often than not the components are not going to give you the performance that you expect. I would suggest that you browse this sight thoroughly and check out the Library, FAQ, Glossary and Photo pages. I would also highly recommending that you pick up a copy of Tom Kirkman's Rodnuilding book (the best $15 you will ever invest in this addiction)

Not to slight ANY of the sponsors, I would suggest that you get a copy of Mudholes catalog (I believe that it's the only one that offers a print catalog) so that you can see what all the available options are and what they look like.

Above all, don't hesitate to ask questions

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: April 26, 2011 07:34PM

Yeah, I just got shipped my new small business starter kit from mudhole.com, and the book was included in the kit! Now it's just a matter of blank, guide, reel seat, and thread purchasing!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 07:53PM

Michael -
Welcome! From here on out you will not own a pair of jeans that does not have stiffened epoxy spots; your dwelling will be a maze of seemingly endless tag ends of fine nylon and polyester threads; short pieces of adhesive tape will magically peel from your shoes everywhere; your hands (especially around the fingernails will have a hard shiny look - or feel sticky for hours. You will forget any television series you were engrossed in and "get lost" in the workshop for endless hours.

Posted by: Nick Christou (---.net.rss.rogers.com)
Date: April 27, 2011 11:25AM

Hi there!
I am still a rookie as well.
I did my first few build with the cheaper Mudhole blanks. They are resonable in price and good blanks!
I did a build on a Batson RX8 blank and was very impressed as well.

Enjoy your new highly addictive hobby!

Date: April 27, 2011 03:29PM

Decided to go with: MH Special IM6 7' 8-12lb. B.440 for my buddy, which will be used for trout and reds. Going to build a split grip handle for him as well. Now.....Anyone know of any decent sites to get thread from? Mudhole has some thread bundle kits for sale on there, but they seemed a little overpriced.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster