I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lamiglas LP844 vs. Rainshadow XP844
Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 24, 2011 10:58PM

Hi, I would like to purchase a new popping blank to use for inshore species here is SE Florida and I have narrowed my selection to a couple of blanks. I have no way to handle these blanks in person prior to ponying up the money so I am going to need your input in order to make an educated decision. The two blanks I am interested in are the Lamiglas XMG50 LP843/4 and Rainshadow RX8 XP843/4. My prior research has led me to believe the XMG50 is a little bit fast for a popping blank but the RX8 might be also since it is made out of a higher modulus graphite. The RX8 has some rave reviews and is a little bit lighter which is a big plus since I am really into the lighter the better and I am going to be matching the finished rod with a Shimano Stradic CI4. I know these two rod companies are famous for making great products but I would really like to know what you guys think about these two particular blanks in question. I appreciate it. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglas LP844 vs. Rainshadow XP844
Posted by: Thomas Brown (---.saw.usace.army.mil)
Date: April 25, 2011 08:29AM

I have never used the XMG 50, so I can't give any info about that blank. I can tell you that I have built on an XP844, IP844, IP843, and hope to pick up another IP844, and try an SP844 this week. These blanks are Moderate Fast, and have a good light tip. So far the inshore guys I have built these for are in love with them. The tip is light enough for a small trout, but they have the backbone for a decent sized red drum. Luckily, I work 15minutes from Fishsticks. Scott turned me on to these blanks last year.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: April 25, 2011 10:08AM

Pedro, if you are near fort lauderdale/miami area I have a couple of options you can see/feel. I don't have either of the blanks you listed though.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2011 12:34PM

I have personally fished the LP844, XP843 and XP844. Of the list you tendered, my preference for general inshore use would be latter. Impeccable fit and finish with a solid design. I actually tested the XP844 on my trip to the Mosquito Lagoon last week and caught quite a few 26-28" reds and a 28" trout. The rod is light and responsive with a nice taper into a strong butt section. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Date: April 25, 2011 03:00PM

Russ, I am by FIU on 8th street. I appreciate the offer maybe we can meet sometime in the near future. Could you post or email me the blanks you wanted to show me.

Jim, my first though was to go with the XP844 and I think you just confirmed my suspicions. The only thing I did not like about the XP blank is that it is painted but yet again I have never seen it in person.

Date: April 25, 2011 04:55PM

Pedro Gomez Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only
> thing I did not like about the XP blank is that it
> is painted but yet again I have never seen it in
> person.

The blank IS painted, but it is a beautiful Titanium Gray color that goes with anything. Is has a nice sheen to it and that does make for an easy rinse and wax after exposure to saltwater.

Date: April 25, 2011 05:17PM

Jim, I did a quick google search and found a few pictures of a finished rod matched with a Stradic CI4 which would be the same reel I'll be using and they look really cool together. Gudebrod Garnet or Silver wraps, split grip with a few winding checks and it is good to go.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: April 25, 2011 07:16PM

Pedro I have a P704 by castaway, a mhx version of a hs9000-2, and a rainshadow hs1023f. The hs9000 has a 2500 stradic on an aero seat. Don't know if you have had a chance to feel any of the above. There is a lake a couple of miles away if you want to cast. Oh, the p704 isn't built so you can't cast it. Do bring your best rod for the intended purpose. Should be fun to see how things stack up. I'm a couple of blocks east of I95 and hollywood blvd.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: April 25, 2011 08:09PM

Russ, I have a G. Loomis GWR9000S which is supposed to be a watered down (blended) version of the HS9000 IMX blank, that could be an interesting match up between this rod and the MHX. I went to Swampland Tackle website trying to see if I could find the specs for the Castaway P704 but I didn't see it, could you point me in the right direction. I will give you a shout whenever I am ready to go up that way.

Date: April 25, 2011 08:17PM

Pedro Gomez Wrote:
> Russ, I have a G. Loomis GWR9000S which is
> supposed to be a watered down (blended) version of
> the HS9000 IMX blank, that could be an interesting
> match up between this rod and the MHX. I went to
> Swampland Tackle website trying to see if I could
> find the specs for the Castaway P704 but I didn't
> see it, could you point me in the right direction.
> I will give you a shout whenever I am ready to go
> up that way.

The Greenwater is a GL3 with a bad paint job ... not blended, but lower modulus. The same model WAS available when Loomis was offering blanks ... HS9000-GL3 in two formats, one-piece and a travel version two-piece.

I have tried quite a few HS9000 "replacements" to date. The best I have found is the NFC SSP767-1. Karen @ Bingham did have them in stock, check with her if you are interested.

Date: April 25, 2011 09:46PM

Jim, I might have used the term incorrectly but what I mean was a blend of various modulus graphite sheets not blended with glass. I have also heard the same thing that the Greenwater rods are a GL3 with a bad paint job LOL. Are you positive these are the exact same blank or very close. Do you happen to know the blank specs for the HS9000 IMX. Thanks

Date: April 25, 2011 10:07PM

Unless I am mistaken the GL3 series was a glass scrim paired with a single strain rate of carbon fiber ... not blended modulus.

The blank specs on the IMX were not the same as the GL3 ... believe it or not, the latter weighed less. The GL3 was predictably slower and I preferred it in many instances. As far as the "replacements" on the market, none are really the same. However, the most "pleasant" blank in that same class with nearly identical specifications is the NFC. Of course, that makes a lot of sense since Gary Loomis designed both the HS9000 and the SSP767-1. There are two versions ... IM and HM. Either will make a nice addition to your collection.

[northforkcomposites.com]

Do be aware that the SSP767-1 (and others like it) are unique and very useful on the flats, but NOT as universal as the XP844 (and others like it). The hotshot blank has a lower casting weight limit AND it won't extract fish from structure nearly as well. It is more of a true "open water" application blank.

I almost always carry three rods on inshore trips ... HS9000, P844 and SJ783 (or models similar to these general specifications). This allows me to work a variety of lures in a variety of locations. On the occasion when I am restricted to a single rod ... the P844 is my choice hands down.

Jim -

Date: April 26, 2011 12:01AM

I stand corrected on the GL3 blank.

You're right, the GL3 is a hair lighter than the IMX but to be honest with you I normally prefer fast action rods so I would probably replace it if I had the chance. Those two NFC blanks sure look to be very nice candidates and I will definitely give them a try in the near future.

Right now, I am working on a couple of projects including a Rogue HS795 blank that I plan to build using Fuji Alconite #4 micro guides. This is going to be my first micro build and I will use it as a guinea pig to see what kind of knots and leaders I will be able to use with those smaller guides, then use that information for future builds. I am thinking a beefed up version of the HS9000. What do think this blank would be good for in the flats.

I normally fish with the same set up as yours on my kayak the main difference is I started building my own rods just recently so the ones I have used before are all factory rods: G. Loomis BSR803, GWR9000S or All-Star ASR845S and a first generation Kistler He2MH69S. I am trying to copy the action and feel of the All-Star rod with the XP blanks. I like the Kistler so much that I have two identical ones and the BSR803 is simply breathtaking. I purchased a couple of high end blanks 5S68MXF / 5C70MF with the new NSI resin to see if I can build a more sensitive and lighter version of those two rods.

It is addictive that's all I got to say.

Tight lines

Pedro

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: April 26, 2011 06:59AM

Pedro I see you are familar with hot shot blanks. It would appear I have nothing new to show you. I agree with all that Jim says and I go to him for advice on inshore rods.

I do have #4 alconites on the rod. Were I to do it again I might go with pac bay minimas. I have 5# power pro on the reel and with a mono leader I can cast a uni knot through the guides just fine.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: April 26, 2011 07:32AM

SInce you are a Kistler fan, you should be aware that the Z-Bone series is built on NFC HM blanks.

BTW, if you are going to put SC5/6 blanks into play, look at upgrading your guides to Titanium Alloy. That will allow you to have a stronger, lighter and corrosion proof frame on the rod.

I would recommend TKTSG5s as your running guides on an inshore setup. They are small enough to be efficient, large enough not to cause any issues with knots.

Date: April 26, 2011 12:05PM

Russ, yes you do. You have been building your own rods a lot longer than I have so I sure can learn a thing or two from you. Also, I would like to feel the new aero seat. Right now, my favorite cool spinning seats are Fuji IPS and VSS but the aero seat looks to be very popular with custom rod builders. I have not gotten accustomed to the look of the aero with that huge bump but yet again I have never seen it in person or handled it and actually being able to grab one might change my perspective. We'll keep in contact.

Jim, there was a time where I had 10-12 Kistler LTA and LTXII rods but I sold them all (last one was on good Friday) except the two LTXII I told you about and a LTA He66MHC (1st gen) 6’6” ¼-¾ oz 12-20lb 3.8oz 108g. That rod is a dream to fish with, very light and sensitive. The rod doesn't even have a serial number meaning it was one of the first ones built and I suspect it was built on a Shikari blank SHX??. The rods I keep were because they are all made in the US first generation rods and I sold all of the Chinese rods. The same Chinese rod models built with lighter Fuji VS Sic guides and without aluminum winding checks weighted an average of .3-.5oz more than their US made counterparts.

I know the Z-Bone series is built on NFC IM-HM blanks but I seriously would not spend that kind of money on a factory rod. The truth is I have never paid retail on a rod and the most I have paid ever for a brand new rod is $205 for a Daiwa Steez STZ671MHFBA, $154 Daiwa Steez STZ681MLFSA (broken guide), G. Loomis GLX MBR783C, GLX PR844S, GLX BSR803, St. Croix Legend Elite LES70MF, Legend Xtreme XC66MF, XC70MF all under $200 brand new from the @#$%& site. What's sick is that out of all those rods I have only used the GLX PR844S (once) and GLX BSR803 (often), the rest are still new hanging in a rod locker for almost two consecutive years. The reason being is that I much prefer spinning than casting but I am beginning to bring one baitcasting set up every time I go fishing. I am forcing myself to learn to crank with the right vs the normal left hand for spinning.

I just spent $300 with Karen at Bingham and it included a non NSI 5S68MXF and various sets of Fuji Y frame titanium guides plus a full set of Minimas 4 to do some NGC testing. The only problem that I see with the K guides is that they are very heavy for these light weight rods. I will build one with RECOIL and the second with Fuji Ti to see which one performs better.

Date: April 26, 2011 12:54PM

Pedro -

You definitely both a GREAT blank from Karen ... the 5S68MXF. One of my all-time favorites. That will actually be a nice structure rod.

Maybe you should look at combining Fuji Titanium with RECoil ... the former for the butt guide and tip, the latter for everything else. G Loomis just started doing something similar with the new NRX series. It has been done on the custom side for at least 4-5 years. It works well and shouldn't be dismissed.

Hope this helps.

Jim -

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 04:19PM

I know these weren't in your original choices but since you're opening the specs up a little more, have you looked at the MHX-SJ843 & 4 or the popping series such as the MHX P843?
Paired up with Am. Tack. Artus micro guides, you'd have a rod that'd be an awesome inshore machine. IMHO

Date: April 26, 2011 04:44PM

matthew jacobs Wrote:
> I know these weren't in your original choices but
> since you're opening the specs up a little more,
> have you looked at the MHX-SJ843 & 4 or the
> popping series such as the MHX P843?
> Paired up with Am. Tack. Artus micro guides, you'd
> have a rod that'd be an awesome inshore machine.
> IMHO

I appreciate your suggestion. I am sure that sooner or later I would try one of those blanks especially because I hear they are supposed to be very similar in action and built quality to the IMX, but unfortunately not on this particular build mainly because this rod is going to be for my personal use fishing out of a kayak where it doesn't take much abuse so I am really looking for the best quality blank out there that will get the job done. My main deterrent on the MHX blanks you mentioned is the weight over 1oz difference between the XP844 and the P844, plus I live in FL and I would have to pay sales tax so I would end up paying more for the MHX. I do have my eye on some of their travel blanks and I am patiently waiting for their new and improved blank version coming out in just a few weeks. Thanks

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 04:55PM

Pedro Gomez Wrote:
but unfortunately not on this particular
> build mainly because this rod is going to be for
> my personal use fishing out of a kayak where it
> doesn't take much abuse

You must be a different breed of 'yaker, than what we have in the Big Bend area of the Florida. Those boy are rough on stuff.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster