I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

dryer motor woes
Posted by: David Teague (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2011 12:38AM

In a bit of a bind....I got 3 rod trolling rods to build and running short on time as I got behind on other builds, as luck would have it my dedicated dryer had the motor go out on me today...I have a renzetti rod lathe and as you all know doesn't have a dryer....anyone have any ideas on how I can make a quick and simple rod dryer for my lathe in a pinch??? I'll probably have to use local sources for parts...home depot, lowes, ace hardware etc.. as I'm not sure I can order out parts and have them back to me in time to meet my dead line...I figure at the very least I need to have one on my lathe as a backup.

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dryer motor woes
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2011 05:30AM

Call your nearest supplier and hae one shpped via overnight. It will cost a little more but should get you out of a jam.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2011 06:07AM

BBQ Rotissere motor Make a shaft PVC chuck 3 bolts and a Couple rubber bands

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2011 08:12AM

Use your Renzetti to hold the rod and rotate by hand ... it takes a little bit of time, but the results will be great.

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 23, 2011 10:04AM

use the Renzetti to hold and put a C-clamp on the foot peddle to rotate..........

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2011 10:06AM

Another thing to consider is the use of a low voltage DC motor.
For example:

[www.servocity.com]

Then, you can simply pick up a plug in 12 volt dc supply for 3 or 4 dollars.

If you live in a larger metro area, check out your surplus stores for any timing motor, or other low rpm motor.

If you find a shaded pole motor, you will need to either have a cooling fan on the back side of the motor, or you will need a source of auxillary cooling to keep the motor cool.

Another thing that you can use temporarily is to use a rechargable screw driver. Many of the rechargable screw drivers turn at about the right speed. If you are using the rechargable screwdriver you can typically leave the charger pluged it to keep the battery from running down as you use it to dry the rods.

Good luck
Roger

Date: April 23, 2011 10:19AM

you don't think the c clamp idea would put too much stress on the motor by it turning at such a low speed for extended periods? even though temporary?

Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2011 12:06PM

David Teague Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you don't think the c clamp idea would put too
> much stress on the motor by it turning at such a
> low speed for extended periods? even though
> temporary?

The motor on my renzetti would get pretty hot turning at slow speed for 2 hours. Not sure it would survive that long

Date: April 23, 2011 02:17PM

Lou you and I are on the same page....thats kinda what I was thinking when I relied to Harry's post

Date: April 23, 2011 03:58PM

David,
Here is an example of a 12 volt DC gear motor being used to turn a drum dryer. The picture was taken with a sample very short center shaft and no drying drums to be able to get both ends of the dryer in the same picture.
Note the 12 volt dc gear motor mounted on the end of the dryer. Below the motor is an aluminum box that I placed a simple plug in style 12 volt dc supply. Then, added an on / off switch and ran the power cord out the back.
This particular dryer was set up for a constant rpm of 12 rpm. It was built for one of the readers of this forum who has used it for drying rods.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The nice thing about using dc gear motors for drying motors is that they run cool, quiet, are compact and generally have a nice shaft on which to mount chucks or make dryer attachments.

Take care
Roger

Date: April 23, 2011 08:57PM

Rodger what is the Cost on a set-up like that, just lost my dryer motor also

Date: April 23, 2011 08:57PM

Rodger what is the Cost on a set-up like that, just lost my dryer motor also

Date: April 23, 2011 09:21PM

Barry,
Drop me an e-mail at

hflier@comcast.net

and I will get back to you on that.

Roger

Posted by: Barry Weaver (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2011 09:48PM

Go to appliance store and get a micro wave turntable motor,,, might even ask if they have a junk micro wave with turntable that they will give you?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster